Suikoden Uncouth and Inspirational Kriegspiel Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden Interest
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Suikoden Interest Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm just curious--

What is the interest like these days in Suikoden?

I know when I heard about the new Suikoden that's about to be released, I was mildly suprised and slightly pleased, but I don't know that it went much farther than that. To be perfectly honest, I just don't know if I'll even play it. Don't get me wrong--I am intrigued by this new entry, but to be honest, Suikoden will either be great, or it won't. It is, ultimately, of no consequence to me. Suikoden will always hold a special place in my heart as a story that opened my mind up to the idea that fiction can be so much more than your everyday drivel; but it is by no means the only example. I suppose, ultimately, that the Suikoden games can stand on their own as towering examples of what the art form can be, and I am ok with that. Why does it have to be more? If there is never another Suikoden game that lives up to the fans expectations, does that neccesarily have to be so bad? Fiction wise, there is a lot out there that is just as good. Suikoden is simply not unique in that aspect. Game wise, sure--but I believe that most of us play Suikoden for more than just the gameplay.

Ultimately I think we should be thankful for the games that have been released. It would be nice to have more main-series games, but to be honest its been so long since a main series release that I just don't see it happening. The Suikoden world has gotten so complicated that I think it would be difficult for Konami to sell such a game, which may be one of their main issues. It is unfortunate that there are unanswered questions, but maybe we are going about this all wrong. I recall a series called Firefly that was ended prematurely. Due to its popularity a movie was released that tied up the loose ends and explained everything very nicely. Perhaps with Suikoden we should be going in this direction--not neccesarily with a movie (obviously), but maybe with a book or manga. In this way we could get closure to the story, and Konami would stop having to hear about it.

Anyways, as far as the new game goes, I suppose what I will end up doing is waiting to hear from the fanbase about the game, and make my decision from there.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The feeling I have is that I've aged and have lost interest in console games in general. When I play games, I'll be thinking "oh, this game is pretty fun" but real life concerns take up greater priority-- so I seem to have little time or interest playing games these days.

Even if Konami announces an actual sequel in the form of Suikoden 6 with the setting being the Nameless Lands or something, I'm not all that sure I'll jump off my ass and start collecting information.
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Suikoden Interest Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My view mostly is the same with Calvin
And I mean the whole: I don't personally mind that Suikoden has 'gone away' from it's original story/background and too many people are so chained to the idea that it should be continuous and they will bash anything that's not continuous with the original 1-5 even before they give the game a chance.
People should just be thankful the series isn't completely dead. (I mean heck.....look at some of the big name video game series out there. Final Fantasy.... Zelda.... Do every single one of their installments occur in the same "world?" I don't really think so....so why can't Suikoden go astray then?)

The one thing I probably differ the greatest with Calvin is this:

Calvin wrote:
I know when I heard about the new Suikoden that's about to be released, I was mildly suprised and slightly pleased, but I don't know that it went much farther than that. To be perfectly honest, I just don't know if I'll even play it.

I am definitely more excited/optimistic about the next game than most.
I am definitely going to go pick up the game and ---even if it doesn't eventually come to the US --I will try to get the Japanese version. Nay, I will try to DEFINITELY get the Japanese version.

(After all, as I've seen with Tierkries ---where I got both the Japanese & English version....Konami USA messed up Tierkries' localization, imo. Thankfully the PSP is region-free for games)

So eventually....I'll probably be one of those early people you'll be hearing about the game from ;)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think I'm with Calvin and Vextor here. I'd even venture to say that this has happened to most (or at least a sizable portion) of the Suikoden community. Without constant positive reinforcement from Konami with releasing Suikoden games in the same vein as those we loved back then, I just moved on with my life. After all, it is just a video game franchise and there a whooooole lot of quality games out there to be depressed about a single series. Sure, an excellent series that introduced me to something that was wholly different to what I was used to, but still a single series of video games.

Now, if there was an announcement for a Suikoden game for a console I actually had, I would probably be interested in it to the point of buying it. Would I get a new console/handheld just to play it? Hell no!
Jowy Atreides

486378 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Calvin, you summed up my thoughts quite nicely. I played through the whole series this last summer, and it/we had a good run. If it's over, it's over.

Personally, I think that the "solutions" to these long-running mysteries (Jeane, Yuber/Pesmerga, Viki, etc.) will ultimately disappoint most fans. The fans have thought out better fan fiction than Konami could ever draw up!
Zahak

Queen's knights

20981 Potch
44 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I personally hope it isn't over, been a very good run indeed.But I'm not exactly given up hope yet but it's been 6 or 7 years and these hand held games they do come out with has nothing to do with the main storyline of the series, I've been exploring other franchises in the gaming biz, However it would be fantastic if Konami would comeout with another game to give us some revelations on the mysteries of the series concerning Jeane,Yuber, Pesmerga , Viki and many other things as Jowy Atriedes mentioned at least to cover everything.
Song Jiang

Liangshan

1368 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As much as it pains me to say, I could live without a continuation of the Suikoden cannon. I would love to see an official Suikoden 6, but something tells me that after this long it is not going to happen. Like Jowy Atreides I played the whole series over this last summer, and I would be content if the series ended in its current state.... But I'm still crossing my fingers for Suikoden 6 until Konami says if they are or are not going to make it lol.

-IT IS THAT WHICH MAKES US DIFFERENT THAT BRINGS US TOGETHER.-
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kikito wrote:
Now, if there was an announcement for a Suikoden game for a console I actually had, I would probably be interested in it to the point of buying it. Would I get a new console/handheld just to play it? Hell no!

Sums up my thoughts perfectly.
Barbarossa Rugner

The Golden Mercenaries

5684336 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally i have almost forgotten about the series. I still check the message boards from time to time, but I haven't really thought about suikoden in a while. In the past i only played the suikodens that appeared on the playstation consoles. So even if the new game comes out in the US, i won't be playing it.

The main numbered series is what drew me to suikoden. That is the game i want to play. Suikoden 6 is the game i want to play, however it has been so long since i played a game in the series i can't say i would drop everything to play it. I don't really have the time for an RPG these days and most of my gaming comes in the form of online shooters which i can quickly pick up and play when i get a chance.

So although i remember the good times we had Suikoden....I have really moved on.

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
Eden

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I want the stories to be finished. I would like it in form of a book, really. A game like the first would be best. Having another game with the name, but no information that really matter to me and with a different gameplay? No, I am not intrigued, but I listen to the news about it.

The Fool
Synchysi

Creatures Once Godlike

11782640 Potch
18161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I seem to be in the minority of what remains of the Suikoden community, in that I'd happily buy another console for a new entry to the main series; none of this knock-off stuff. Then again, even as I've gotten older, I haven't lost much interest in gaming as it seems quite a few other people have.

A book would be fantastic as well. I'm not picky.

Mercenarios of Destino

17251 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vextor wrote:
The feeling I have is that I've aged and have lost interest in console games in general.

I'm in the same boat. Normally just stick to either FIFA or COD online these days, nothing spectacular.
Seraphblade

imaginary soldiers

935122 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I haven't lost interest in the mainline suikoden games. I would be jumping in glee if I hear a release of a new Suikoden taking place in the world we all know with some recurring characters. However, I highly doubt there will ever be a Suikoden VI. It has been six years since the release of Suikoden V and I doubt much of the same crew that worked on the game, or even multiple Suikoden games, are still on a Suikoden related project. That being said, any team picking up the project would have a huge ordeal of tying all the knots created by the former's imaginations in a preset world they must adapt to as well as filling in the remaining true runes and their roles.

Making a Suikoden VI that we, the fanbase of suikoden as a whole, would accept is not profitable either. The fanbase of "old suikoden" have aged and are no longer the marketed group for traditional RPGs. I was 8 years old when the first Suikoden was released and it was the first RPG I have ever played. I am now 23 years old, working, and hardly put the number of hours into games as I did when I was young. The amount of work needed to create a game to appease a small dying group of gamers is just not profitable. Especially since the traditional RPG itself, is now a dying genre of gaming (at least outside of Japan). The RPG genre of today is a sort of real-time or open-world action game with RPG elements.

Even if a Suikoden VI will ever be created, the "old" fanbase will probably not accept it as canon as it will likely be another tierkries. It will be a new world with new characters, and with borrowed elements from the old games such as the stars of destiny and magical runes. It's much easier and more profitable this way. Create a new fanbase with a new story and new world. Even then, with turn-based JRPGs not named Final Fantasy increasingly losing popularity outside of Japan, seeing a release outside of Japan will also be a factor. If it does manage to make an English release, I will still buy the game out of loyalty for the franchise, but I won't have any high hopes of nostalgia while playing the game.

I do agree that a book would be fantastic. It is probably our best hope of completing all the plotlines and mysteries from the main games. Though something like this, I can only see being printed in Japanese only. For those of us not fluent in Japanese, not only do we have to hope for such a book to be published but we also have to hope somebody would come along and be courteous enough to translate it for us.
VikiFanatic

Keepers of Balance

841792 Potch
0 Soldiers
760 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eden wrote:
I want the stories to be finished. I would like it in form of a book, really.

I would read this book, post haste. If ever, that's one cheaper alternative to a continuity. But then again, I wonder if the other fans would rather read a book or play an RPG. As much as I'd like the latter, I wonder of the possibilities.

On topic though, I'm still interested in getting the sequel if ever it comes out. Even if i don't have time to play it as of yet, I will definitely buy it to support the series.

Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

VikiFanatic wrote:
Even if i don't have time to play it as of yet, I will definitely buy it to support the series.
This is exactly what I do...

As long as getting a copy doesn't require me to jump through too many "weird hoops" that is...

(And if anyone here is wondering or haven't heard, yes I do have Tsumugareshi but no, I haven't brought myself to finish it)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: