Suikoden United and Irenic Kriegspiel Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Some Nintendo DS rpg advise

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sialeeds

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Some Nintendo DS rpg advise Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hello fellow suiko fans, I want to order 1 or 2 games from the US which I cannot obtain here in Europe and wanted some personal feedback on some of these games

DQM Joker 2 ( didnt really enjoy the prequel but love the originals for GBC)
lufia
avalon code
nostalgia
SMT strange journey ( big persona fanboy but new to the original series)
knights in the nightmare
radiant historia

of course I read reviews but I rather tlak about something like that in forums I think its more personal. Would be appreciated if somebody enjoys giving their thoughts

regards
Ranadiel

The Squirrel Mob

68112 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Of the games you have listed I have played on the DS Nostalgia, Knights in the Nightmare, and Radiant Historia.

Nostalgia- I'm a little conflicted on this one. I'm not going to say it is a bad game, but it did fall short for me. The game is definatly a callback to the SNES era of RPGs. It also has some Indiana Jones mixed in to as well. Problem with it is that it gets really cheesy at some points. That might help it fel more noatalgic.....but the cheesiness was bad enough that I find it difficult to call it a good game.

Knights in the Nightmare- I really did not care for this one. I'm sure if you enjoy innovative battle systems or something like that, you'll find it to be fascinating and brilliant. I just found it to be frustrating. I thought the story was fairly boring as well. The game just did not hold my interest.

Radiant Historia- Best RPG of the current generation. The story has a fantastic concept and it then executes it perfectly. It is a time travel story though, so if you hate those then it might not be for you. Be aware when playing that there are a lot of potential bad endings. Since the story is one of time travel though, those are only speed bumps and a lot of them are fun to watch(I made it a point to collect every one of them). I found the battle system to be enjoyable also.

Titles: Harmonian Tenki Star, Harmonian Jousting Champion
kyair

780 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sadly, the only game I have out of that lot is Radiant Historia.

Ranadiel pretty much nailed it with his description of it. The only thing I have to add is that it was really enjoyable for me (also), and it's one of the few games that I actually finished.
Oppenheimer

Les monsieurs de Narcisse

256470 Potch
0 Soldiers
1865 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I played Lufia and it wasn't very good. It's very action oriented and the grid of upgrade runes is super annoying to work with. Also, it's quite hard. The story has some nostalgia for the old Lufia game that it is a remake of but overall they changed too much to just get by on nostalgia.

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Avalon code I think is a very nice game that is often overlooked.

The point of the game is to "scan" as much stuff in the game as possible. Every "thing" in the game has a certain combination of "codes" and you can change an object's code to your liking.

For example, you have difficulty fighting this monster that has thick armor? Well scan him and take away all the "steel" codes from his data and he'll lose his armor.
Want a stronger weapon? Move all of that monster's steel code to your weapon and it'll power it up.

You can do something similar with people as well, which is often what you need to do with the side-quests.

In conclusion, it's like an alchemy kind of system without such an annoying "harvesting for ingredients" aspect....although I recall reshuffling the codes around to make a certain item turn into something else can be quite a time-spender if you have no idea what you're doing.

Personally I think there is great replayability and there are slightly different "outcomes" to certain parts of the game....not to mention you can aim to be a perfectionist and try to reach 100% scanned in every map.

-----------------

Besides Avalon Code I also have/played Knights in the Nightmare and Radiant Historia...neither of which I ever had a chance to finish....

Knights in the Nightmare --for me-- was not really worth buying....

Contrarily, Radiant Historia is a great game....but I just keep getting stuck in it easily...(but that's just me).......
Ranadiel's description/explanation is pretty good.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: