Suikoden Urgent and Informational Karma Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

044 - Down the Slippery Slope

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JasonPaul

66249 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: 044 - Down the Slippery Slope Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[p:2jom6edf]"Those do not look like warships," Aerjin commented as he saw two large ships descend to the ground, several miles away from the perimeter.[/p:2jom6edf]
[p:2jom6edf]"No, they don't," Anwyn replied. "They look more like transports."[/p:2jom6edf]
[p:2jom6edf]Aerjin nodded. "They're too far out of our range for us to shoot them down. Perhaps they mean to win this war on the ground?"[/p:2jom6edf]
[p:2jom6edf]"Looks that way, and I'm not too sure our ground forces will be a match. I haven't met these Q'orren personally, but if their use of magitechnology is any indication, I'd say the average Q'orren is a step up from the average Mystic." Thinking about this, Anwyn called Silf on his cell-phone.[/p:2jom6edf]
[p:2jom6edf]"What is it, Annie?" Silf asked from the other end.[/p:2jom6edf]
[p:2jom6edf]"Just to be up front," Anwyn said, "Alma and Degi rune are still banned via UN regulations, correct?"[/p:2jom6edf]
[p:2jom6edf]"Until I tell you otherwise," Silf answered, well aware that Anwyn wasn't going to like the answer.[/p:2jom6edf]
[p:2jom6edf]"Even in times of war against an obviously more powerful and numerous enemy?" Anwyn asked.[/p:2jom6edf]
[p:2jom6edf]"Look, I'm working with the senate as we speak, all right?" There was a notable amount of frustration in Silf's voice. Perhaps it was at Anwyn's demands? Perhaps it was at this war? Either way, it was understandable, given the situation. Silf sighed deeply after realizing she'd basically snapped at Anwyn. "I'm sorry, I'm just doing everything I can to keep the whole palace from falling into panic."[/p:2jom6edf]
[p:2jom6edf]"It's okay," Anwyn replied, "but if I happen to somehow forget about the sanctions, please don't get angry."[/p:2jom6edf]
[p:2jom6edf]"Just try to be subtle." Fat chance of that, Silf thought. Anwyn and subtlety were two words that rarely were said in the same sentence.[/p:2jom6edf]

*********************************************************************** *********************************************************************** ***

[p:2jom6edf]"Why has New Belexes not fallen yet?" spoke an obviously agitated Valinthia. The splatter of blood across her face clearly meant that she was "relieving stress" as she liked to call it. Shaidorol did little to hide his disgust at the sight. The principles of Q'orren society were that all had a place in the universe. It was the Q'orren's place to serve his king, and it was the place of other races to serve the Q'orren. Unfortunately, some Q'orren used those very principles to satiate their own vices, be they blood lust or just plain lust. The views of Shaidorol, however, were considered old-fashioned among some modern Q'orren. Back then the rule was "serve the king". Now it reads "serve yourself."[/p:2jom6edf]
[p:2jom6edf]"New Belexes was quite prepared for our assault," Shaidorol calmly answered. "In fact I dare say they were expecting it from the moment they noticed our presence. And since we knew very little about the Mystics and what they are capable of, I had to use minimal forces at first to test the waters. But not to worry. Though these Mystics are quite stubborn it will only be a matter of time before the city falls."[/p:2jom6edf]
[p:2jom6edf]"You're not doing it quickly enough," Valinthia answered, raising her voice a little. "Johannesburg has not yet fallen and I don't want to give these earthlings a second sanctuary."[/p:2jom6edf]
[p:2jom6edf]Shaidorol could only laugh at Valinthia's concern. "I hardly think that will be a problem, Valinthia. The city has become a warzone the likes of which these Mystics have probably never seen before in their lives. Only the truly foolish would dare to hide here. And who are you to tell me I'm not working fast enough? At least I haven't pulled back yet."[/p:2jom6edf]
[p:2jom6edf]Valinthia's face turned red at Shaidorol's remarks. "You insolent pig! I'll--"[/p:2jom6edf]
[p:2jom6edf]"You'll what?" Shaidorol interrupted. "Need I remind you that even though you are the commanding officer of this operation I am still your senior, and I have forgotten more about the art of war than you have yet to learn. And if our king truly wanted us to end this quickly he would have ordered the Alpha Strike rather than an attempt to re-educate these people. Even though it seems that I am fighting to a stalemate, I have yet to deploy Urdr, let alone the Alpha Strike. This city will indeed fall, but it will be done in the way that I choose to do so."[/p:2jom6edf]
[p:2jom6edf]"Just see that you do it," Valinthia said bitterly.[/p:2jom6edf]

*********************************************************************** *********************************************************************** ***

[p:2jom6edf]A contingent of fifty Mystics, led by Anwyn, charged down the battlefield, with the intent to meet the Q'orren ground forces head on. Anwyn didn't know how many there would be, but estimated he had enough to work with. He saw the opposing force and counted about seventy Q'orren. It was finally time to see what these aliens were capable of.[/p:2jom6edf]
[p:2jom6edf]"For the empress!" Anwyn shouted as he rallied the troops to attack. The Q'orren used a strategy very similar to that of the Mystics. Melee-based shock troops used to protect spellcasters behind them. His own unit was preparing a number of fire spells to assault the Q'orren.[/p:2jom6edf]
[p:2jom6edf]Or at least they were, until their spells fizzled. Anwyn noted this in surprise and looked at the enemy unit for the source. He found it in two Q'orren dressed in light blue armor, drawing what looked like counterspell runes. Their own version of the Stosstrupen, apparently. Anwyn was unimpressed, however. He pressed forward, intent on breaking through the Q'orren phalanx to get at the spellbreakers, when he suddenly stopped in horror. He noticed the runes that the Q'orren mages were preparing. Though they looked somewhat different, he recognized the runes as "Degi", also known as the "death curse", and one of the runes banned by the UN restrictions.[/p:2jom6edf]
[p:2jom6edf]"Drop back!" Anwyn shouted as loudly as he could, while his own feet carried him away from the Q'orren phalanx. Too late, as the spells were cast and Anwyn found himself short half his unit as Mystics dropped dead like flies. Anwyn was fortunate enough to get away from the spell. Unfortunately, the large majority of the Mystics struck dead by the death curse were the melee shock troops, leaving the spellcasters vulnerable. The unit had no choice but to retreat.[/p:2jom6edf]
[p:2jom6edf]Anwyn called Aerjin on his phone. "I need Stosstrupen here, now!" he shouted.[/p:2jom6edf]
[p:2jom6edf]"Impossible!" Aerjin replied. "All of our Stosstrupen are protecting the palace and the anti-air cannons!"[/p:2jom6edf]
[p:2jom6edf]"Damn it, just..." Anwyn's fists shook in frustration. "Just bring me someone who knows some counterspells!"[/p:2jom6edf]
[p:2jom6edf]"I'll see what I can do," Aerjin answered, "but I make no promises."[/p:2jom6edf]
[p:2jom6edf]"That's fine," Anwyn replied. "And tell Silf that these Q'orren are throwing around Degi spells. It might get the senate off their asses and lift the ban."[/p:2jom6edf]
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Midnight Dawn All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: