Suikoden Uncanny and Infamous Kriegspiel Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

G.T.O. - Great Teacher Onizuka
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sai Fujiwara

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: G.T.O. - Great Teacher Onizuka Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When it comes to a great anime series, few series that I can think of offhand have as much to offer as GTO. (Also known as Great Teacher Onizuka.) If I'm not mistaken, it started out originally as a live-action drama series in Japan, that was later turned into a manga, and finally its anime form, that we know today. I don't recall hearing anyone on the forums here talking about this series, but since I think it's so great, and has so much to offer, I felt that it deserved its own thread here.

Allow me to summarize the main plot ideas of the series. The series is about an ex-biker / Japanese gang member, who was mostly a falilure in high school, and greatly stuggled to graduate out of a low-level community college. His dream is to some day become a high school teacher. Granted, a lot of his desire has to do with the fact that he's a pervert, and wants to look at school girls in their short skirts... However, Onizuka really DOES have a deep-hearted passion for helping kids out, and get through their problems. Throughout school, he had put up with condescending teachers who had always talked down on him for being "garbage," because of his deviant behavior, so he really wanted to be a different teacher who could make a difference in the lives of his students, who are having a rough time with school and their lives.

As you might imagine, he has a lot of trouble landing a job. The first couple of episodes focus on him trying to get hired, since he doesn't have a teaching certificate, and can't pass a test to save his life. Through the help of one of his friends, he hears that in a private school, you don't need a certificate to get hired. After some trials and tribulations, Onizuka DOES manage to land the job... But, he ends up teaching middle school kids. (A humerous twist, that shatters half of his dreams... lol )

Anyway, problems rage, and Onizuka helps to get his class in line, all while teaching them some important life lessons along the way. The series is easily one of the funniest that I have ever seen. The crap the his students pull, and the junk he gets himself into result in some of the most outlandish and hilarious scenes that I've ever seen before. But, GTO isn't just a comedy without a purpose. Despite its silly nature, and the crazy behavior of Onizuka and his students, GTO does offer some really good dramatic scenes, that add a touch of real emotion to the series. I was really suprised that a series could make you laugh so much with its pure insanity, yet make you think and feel for the people involved. This is definitely a great anime that is worth your time! (I just wish they put it cable! :P )

So, has anyone seen this series? What do you think? Who do you like, and what were your favorite parts?

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have seen this series before and I must agree that it was quite excellent. I loved how they had a teacher come to a school and basically educate the kids through real life methods and not just actual coursework. Onizuka was a very interesting character himself. It shows how much he learns from his students, as well. The series had a very inspirational quality to it.

My favorite part would be when he helped the young girl cope with issues going on in her household, as well as his feud with the young boy who would not accept him as his teacher. Those were two episodes that stood out, but the series was so good that you could say that every episode was my favorite part. ;-) It's been at least a year and a half since I've completed the whole series so I can't be specific, but it was quite enjoyable.

They also have a live-action GTO series out. If you have only seen the animated version, which has been localized I believe, then you should try to see the live-action one as well. It is quite intriguing.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Keriaku

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've heard about this series before, but for some reason I always thought it was about racing or something, so I never looked into it. I think I might try and watch it now, seems interesting.
ed_20

The Stampede

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've seen the G.T.O series and it is really one of the best. What I liked about this series is the story and I like to know what trials he will face and how onizuka will get out of his problems in becoming the best teacher in japan. Onizuka proves me that it's not intelligence that makes a person it's experience. I really want to have teacher like onizuka :wink: .There is some parts that I remember specially where his students though that onizuka got a harmful disease but I liked the part where Onizuka help his student to get back the money that is lost for their class fieldtrip the money was lost because that student used the money to buy an expensive watch and onizuka was being blamed that he used that money for his own pleasures. I was kinda dissapointed about the number of episodes it was only 43 I wish to see more.

do the live action got a new story or it is based on the anime? I haven't seen it.
Providence Luc

The Millenium Swords

109035 Potch
275 Soldiers
71 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sai Fujiwara wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, it started out originally as a live-action drama series in Japan, that was later turned into a manga, and finally its anime form, that we know today.

Actually, I believe the manga came first and then due to it's popularity, spawned both live-action drama and anime.

This series is a classic. The story is difficult to just simply praise in a bunch of paragraphs. It was aired here in the Philippines c/o Animax-Asia (which has slowly been decaying since they began to dub their aired anime, I prefer subtitled). I closely followed the whole series with so much passion because the story and drama was excellent. As mentioned earlier, this is an excellent mix of side-splitting comedy and wonderful life lessons.

I've always enjoyed the skits when Uchiyamada's Cresta would end up being trashed. I can't remember how many times it faced an untimely demise. This isn't really a spoiler (mostly because it's obvious as soon as the series is in it's earlier stages), but Uchiyamada is one of the Onizuka's 'antagonists' who wants him out. What's wonderful about his personality (comedy set aside), is that he's not really just some mindless or heartless villain as you'll later observe in his character.

One of my personal favorite characters would be the prodigies, Kikuchi Yoshito & Kanzaki Urumi. I like to pair them every now and then since they seem so sweet together. The magnitude of their pranks were quite hilarious. It would also happen to be their proficiencies that would save Onizuka from losing his job on several occasions.

Another set of characters which I like to pair would be Uehara Anko & Yoshikawa Noboru. They share a slightly cliched relationship but it's reached a rather extreme level on that point but it's still somewhat (bitter)sweet how they treate one another. They also add to the humor quite a bit in the later episodes of the story.

I'd like to get my hands on a copy of the manga which has been (or still currently being) tranlsated into english by TokyoPop. The manga covers more ground than the anime did and the story has slight differences through most of the series but I think they deviated from it slightly when it came to Miyabi. I'm not so keen on the details though. All in all, this is a great series that would provide both good laughs and good lessons wrapped in one great package.
Tendou Souji

CLIMAX JUMP!

758170 Potch
2000 Soldiers
2225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

GTO actually is part of a trilogy, but the most famous one is GTO.
There's one about Onizuka in his Junior High, and how he met his pal (Ryuji was his name, it hink)who now resides in a motorcycle garage.And the other one is about them when they were in their High School years.

The ghost building episode was one of my favorites.(I'm so sorry that i forgot the names!)The blonde girl wasn't very lucky hanging out with those gundam freaks.It was funny at how they wore those gundam equipment though :mrgreen:

Well, al episodes are my favorites, actually.
Cyrano

the vengeful lynx

126422 Potch
23 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

well for me, i jsut could help myself to laugh out of my head when seiign onizuka making some strange faces there really is a lot of chaos in this manga. but i'll admit that there is some pretty good ideology behind the story, a good scenareion and a lot of seriousness. hell i couldn'T help myself to think: awwww poor litlle girl.... ha! in your face dumb boy!! hahahahahaha!!! what the hell is onizuka thinking!!!???

really, this managa made me see a lot of colors.
Kohaku

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I watch the anime and the manga, well, I can say that I like the manga more, but the anime itself is just fine.

I really like Urumi, I mean it, and my most favorite part in GTO is Onizuka's crazy night with urumi, it's so wickedly funny. The other one is in volume 17 manga (sadly, you can't watch it in the anime) when Onizuka have another date with her. About the serious part, I like the manga's part of Urumi 2nd suicide attemp, especially when Kikuchi has finally found the ultimate "thing" she meant on her Miyabi site. That is touching.

Oh well

Silver Arrow

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes...GTO is absolutly one of my Favorites...just together with "Bastard!!"

I'm at Vol. 15 (18 or so are out in Germany) and I haven't laughed so much in other Animes or Mangas. None of them was so damn funny but so interesting at the same time.

There is the Manga Bad Company I read. It was not as half as funny but it was great to read something about Onizukas past. Also there was a scene in the first Vol. of GTO where he remembers his past ...I would like to read about this one too but I didn't found it yet.

Also I heard there is a single Volumen of a Manga where Ryuji and Onizuka having holidays on the beach. The two are trying to flirt on some sexy beachgirls but we all know the outcome of this *g*

Well,I hope I can efford some money to buy more volumens by the time.
Njord

Island Nationeers

218645 Potch
1478 Soldiers
300 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No, I never watched it, but I heard a lot about it from someone I knew in college, he kept talking about how good it is and how hilarious the scenes in it are, he pretty much told me everything about the story, everything from who the main hero is, what is his role, what kind of story he takes, even though I liked hearing things about it, I just didn't feel eager to see the show myself.

Well, maybe because this good person told me more than everything I could know by watching it, or maybe because the series are a little bit more in the humor side, watching a perverted ex gangster isn't that exciting for me, and besides, I don't like that much of humor.

But I guess I should watch it first before labeling it a no, though me getting into it won't likely happen any time near dis time.

The Cherry Blossom

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

GTO in japan it was so popular that it has a live action show though its not much related to the anime series but at least its just goes to show you that its popular

My personal favorite character there is Urumi Kanzaki why because shes very deadly but its hard to hate her

How you ever wish to have a teacher like that huh? :)
Zaleria

1296207 Potch
13650 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah i have seen the series but not all of it...
it's aired on our country at past midnight so i had to stay up late just to watch it but i think it's worth it. Onizuka is very funny and i agree with kenshiro, kanzaki is indeed deadly....
anyway, i think G.T.O. is one of the best anime's i've seen even though it's a little mature because of onizuka's obsession with girls...

Tonby, while I'm not in Zexen wrote:

I just noticed that if you turn Zexen Activity Levels into an acronym, it makes ZAL. Oh the irony! =P
Cyrano

the vengeful lynx

126422 Potch
23 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

recently, i have watched gto's anime( most of it anyway... couldn'T get it complete... damnit...)

i just could help myself to think how.... passive were the caracters...

the maga is way more violent, physically and psychologically, most characters in the manga are actually DEFEATED ( usually psychologically )

and we could see their downfall,

in the anime... they made it a little nicer to the characters... it was less violent....
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have just seen the first 150 chapters of the manga, and i'm laughing my butt off. It's truly one of the most original mangas that i have ever read. It's great to read if you're just so sick of the fantasy settings, giant robots and high school kids saving the world.

Well, yeah, this is about students, more middle schoolers than it is about high schoolers. But i find Onizuka to be a very original character. Usually, most characters in animes or mangas have little to no flaws. Onizuka has tons of flaws, mainly being perverted, but he's also greedy for money, violent and an idiot. But he shines with his luck, strength and charisma.

Quote:
How you ever wish to have a teacher like that huh?

I would honestly not want a teacher like that, though. It would seem like hell should he screw up (and oh how he does screw up). :lol:

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vince Muerto

The Cool Guy Regiment

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah GTO is the best. Onizuka is the best character ever made. He never gives up and makes friends with everyone. He's unstoppable. The other characters are great too. I would go as far as to say that GTO has the best character development of any story I've ever read.
I haven't seen much of the show (only the first DVD), but I read the manga and it was genious. I loved how everything bad that could happen to Uchiyamada happened. His life was so messed up.

By the way, what are the names of the other two parts of the trilogy Axis? I would really like to try to find those.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: