Suikoden Uncanny and Informational Kosher Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Lets start a game...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Bad news is that fuji's code is so incredibly beyond my comprehension, that I can't even figure out how to modify the main site, which is pretty bad!

Yeah, I have (or perhaps "had" would be a better word) limited php skills and was entrusted to perform the upkeep on a former project of use a year or two back, and needless to say once I got in there I had no idea what I was looking at. He was really good at the whole object-oriented thing.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Lets start a game... Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I pretty much echo Elc's sentiments as to what effectively "killed" enjoyment of the previous game, and unbalance was pretty much highlighted with 3-4 nations staving off 7 simply due to micromanagement of their assets being greater, that what was then the point in trying if you only had a very minimal chance of success and a greater chance to feed your enemies strength? Added to that, dictatorships ultimately leave individuals disillusioned with the "why" of the decisions made, that an individual could spend days working out viable strategy, pitch it to their leadership and it be dismissed with a simple "no", not exactly productive to involvement in what was nation building or to have people stick around and involve themselves.

From memory on Johns thing, it was more in line with a "sim city" approach where the emphasis was less on regiments and individuals than it was maintenance of controlled regions & standing armies, bit like the old 2D TBS games in a way "Player #1 controls 4 regions, 400k soldiers but hasn't built an aqueducts so shits piling up in the street! MMM baaaad." and was played more like monopoly or a card game than anything. Of course, it never got past the design stage really so yeah. Suikocrap also had a game in development which focused a bit more on vassal states as opposed to nation warfare, but also not passed the design stage.

I'd be happy with anything though, so its good to see you're feeling better Vextor.

Les monsieurs de Narcisse

256470 Potch
0 Soldiers
1865 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm also glad to hear this thread. I think that a game that has some sort of graphical interface would be ideal. The big problem with learning a web forum based game and one thing I was looking forward to on Fuji's new game was going to be the graphics. Not that I need them to be remotely fancy, 2D map like is fine as long as it's interactive, more than just a wall of text with the occasional sprite would be very much appreciated on my end.

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A graphical interface would be beyond my capabilities, and even looking at what Fuji has put together so far, the result would have been somewhat laggy (it would take 5 seconds for you to move from one square to the next, etc).

However, my current plan would probably work with an image-map, much like how the old map used to work.

The image I have right now is to just focus on "providing a world" instead of having a base plot of nations fighting against each other in perpetual war. I want to bring the focus down to the individual, and let them move around as they please, and interact with stuff, with trade, battles, politics, etc incorporated as features people can participate in or ignore altogether.
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's pretty much what John's idea was, with each player getting a town, and controling it how they saw fit, except that it had a graphical interface. Probably why it didn't get off the ground, really.

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nifty! You can count me in for whatever this ends up being.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh no, I wouldn't want players to be running towns... at least at the beginning. Perhaps that could be something a player may end up choosing to do depending on what they want to do in the world, but I'd like to give people the freedom to choose what they want to do.

I think I'll try to start small-- such as by only having a small area available at first, and then expanding as time goes by. That type of incremental progress seems to be the development method I like the best.
Bakuri

974 Potch
1435 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am happy to hear this ^^
I have been with your sites since back on Tabula Rasa's ezboards :)
So of course I really liked the writing and storytelling aspects. Even using the wargame to create stories for new characters. I would love to see something that has storytelling ability like those. I didn't really contribute much to the war game, but I didn't care too much for the way stats were calculated >< I had a high magic stat from posting stories, but I felt like I couldn't really post in normal threads when stats came out because I felt like I had to keep my character strong for my nation. Stupid on my part, I know :P

Anyways if scripting events can make a game with some storyline I would love it. I know that just working on quests for people could get overwhelming. But if there was some kind of random game mechanic that could help script things it might help.

Also I am willing to help with whatever I can.
Glad that you are feeling better! ^^

Oh yeah I almost forgot... one thing I LOVE about suikoden is the variety of the characters. Like even though you are essentially building an army in the games... not every character is a fighter. You have your innkeepers, blacksmiths, chefs, fisherman, shopkeepers etc. If there is a way to keep such a variety in the new game I would love that. Remember in Tabula Rasa the cheesemaker you had? Stuff like that, if possible would be fun I think.

Button Aficionado
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Bakuri":38pyp4ww]Oh yeah I almost forgot... one thing I LOVE about suikoden is the variety of the characters. Like even though you are essentially building an army in the games... not every character is a fighter. You have your innkeepers, blacksmiths, chefs, fisherman, shopkeepers etc. If there is a way to keep such a variety in the new game I would love that.

That's something I'm trying to work into the Senso project. Oddly, people seem to either be resisting the concept or not really caring about it as the responses I have gotten thus far are mostly generic non-specific stuff.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree that starting small would be a great way to start things out. To be honest I think starting in one nation or another within Suikoden is plenty big--there is a lot that can go on in a single nation. I think it would be cool to kinda explore the unknown in regards to this as well--for example, starting the game in a place like Harmonia. We've got a lot of information about Harmonia, but most of it is just auxilary stuff. It gives lots of room for players to use their imaginations.

I'm having a little trouble picturing what your idea is though. Will there be game mechanics, or is it mostly just going to be a bunch of us players writing stories? If there are game mechanics, is this something you're trying to automate with php?

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Oppenheimer

Les monsieurs de Narcisse

256470 Potch
0 Soldiers
1865 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Elc":2zz12ccz]
That's something I'm trying to work into the Senso project. Oddly, people seem to either be resisting the concept or not really caring about it as the responses I have gotten thus far are mostly generic non-specific stuff.

Sorry to hear that Elc. I'm all for character driven stories be they in books, games, or something online like this. That's one of the big drawbacks of a MMORPG is that your character is never given a chance to become more than a walking set of statistics.

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Elc":3ozrrhti]That's something I'm trying to work into the Senso project. Oddly, people seem to either be resisting the concept or not really caring about it as the responses I have gotten thus far are mostly generic non-specific stuff.

I can't really remember everything I did for my character, but I believe I tried to do something special.

Anyway, as others, I am glad to here you are feeling better, Vex, and try to create a new thing.
I personally don't need anything really graphic. What I liked the most about the whole system was the strategy part of the game and the different nations. Working on a nation's history and for its benefit was great. The war made competition between nations possible. I think those different usergroups are a good addition, although I understand people who don't prefer this system.

The Fool
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Great news. I'd love to see this place up and running again in any capacity.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The complexity of fuji's coding is amazing, and I'm still trying to gain access to everything. I'm waiting for my host to give me further info on how I can gain access to the rest of the site.

Meanwhile, I've been looking in to php "game codes" out there in the public domain, and there seems to be a fair amount of interesting stuff out there I can just appropriate and add suikoden-like stuff. That would seem to be a better way to build a new game instead of by modifying phpbb into something game-like.
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Great to hear you are doing well Vextor. This thread is great news. :P
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: