Suikoden Unique and Irenic Karma Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Lets start a game...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Lets start a game... Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've managed to become bored, and seeing that my health has gotten better I'm feeling like coding stuff once again.

The huge problem right now is that fuji is gone and I have no idea what happened to him. Unfortunately, he managed to improve this site to the point I don't fully comprehend how the site works at this point. I may have to re-engineer the site and bring it back to the crappy style it had in the past so I can actually tinker with it once again.

But anyhow, senso is going on so I don't want to do the same old thing again. I'd like to try something different this time.
As everybody knows, I'm a huge promoter of discussion and intellectual discourse, so a forum filled with vibrant discussions about various topics is something that would be very satisfying.

Any ideas? I have some ideas cooking in my head at the moment, but I rather hear some feedback from people-- such as what they liked about previous games on this site and what they hated about it, and what sort of stuff they wanted to see, etc.
Wiseman

Army of the Six Wise Men

110280 Potch
250 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow. Never thought I'd see this post. I think anything you come up with will please the majority of us as much if not more than last time. One major thing I'll point out, although I'm sure you know, would be to make a game not so heavily dependent on posting habits.

Guardian of the Great Forest

Battle wounds and scars is how I show my pain
My palms covered in the blood of those I've slain
Yet I still keep comin back all the same...
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Man, that sounds awesome!

It is indeed impossible to get a hold of fuji these days. I hope nothing bad has happened to him.

The biggest hurdle for a Suikoden site these days is the fact that the series is bleeding severely--that is to say, there hasn't been a new game out in awhile so things are stagnant. Personally, various theories, ideas, and expositions have been written and discussed into the ground about Suikoden and after years of doing this with no new material I have no desire to participate in something like that. I think to be successful, any fan game/idea would have to not rely on Suikoden so much while still maintaining a connection with the games. This is a Suikoden fansite after all. I don't really think this is too hard to do; the suikox wargame did it. Perhaps we (the community) started it based on our love of Suikoden, but it was continued based on the fact that the game itself was fun and engaging.

I like the idea of competition, and also of strategy. The war game was fun to me for several reasons--it involved competition and teamwork against humans, it involved having to think strategically, tactically, and operationally depending on the situation, and it involved engaging fiction. What I didn't like about the game was that it promoted discord and uncouth behavior between players and around the forums, it was severely unbalanced, and it was too reliant on a few select people.

Some of the funnest times I had here was when we were doing interactive fiction way back. I think if that can somehow be tied to the ideas you are so fond of (intellectual discourse and discussion), perhaps you'd have something. Of course, one of the downsides to interactive fiction is that, again, you would be pretty reliant on a few people.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The current image I have is something like a merge of what I used to run-- the "House system" and the interactive fanfic.

The problem I ran into with both of those systems is that I had no php / sql skills back then, and thus had to do everything manually, which ended up being too much for me to handle. Using php most of the work can be automated, which should make things easier to manage.

With the fanfic though, I'm not sure whether to keep things limited to a pscific geographical region (like how I had it in Tierkreis) or use the entire world.
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Lets start a game... Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vextor wrote:
Any ideas? I have some ideas cooking in my head at the moment, but I rather hear some feedback from people-- such as what they liked about previous games on this site and what they hated about it, and what sort of stuff they wanted to see, etc.

Well, I really liked the community aspect of the previous game, which is something I'm hoping to replicate. I didn't particularly care for the clique-ish nature which developed in the nation system nor that one small group would essentially "call the shots" for the nation as a whole, of which most of the membership ended up having very little, if any, say.

Believe it or not, and coming from me this might be a bit of a shock, I actually enjoyed playing the game in principle. What wore on me and really jaded me was the politics involved, whether it was from within or without. I have learned, since then, to channel such frustrations into another area which, oddly, really benefits from that form of energy.

What I "hated" about the old game was how the players were managed, with activity being a driving force in whether or not a particular regiment would be any good. That, and a posting threshold for the leadership to increase, which really made a lot of regiments in the old game useless and a nation's roster in general dependent upon established players. That was really a crippling blow when it came to smaller nations introduced late in the game, as the big powerful nations like Grassland could pummel a nation like Gaien or Nagarea with ease as they had the brutes with insane leadership and stats.

I was rather indifferent on the NPC nations which popped up, but they failed to gather my interest as they really didn't do anything or have much of an effect. The M-People were kind of a different story, but I had my issues with that particular angle, so I won't get into it.

Whereas the old system rewarded active members with strong regiments compared to the casual, less active or mainly lurking members, I would have rewarded the active members who really put effort into the game with a priority placement in a story-based segment of the game, which would augment the existing system instead of supplanting it entirely. This is something I am endeavoring to do at Senso, though the small active membership at this point is a bit of a hindrance.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."

Last edited by Elc on Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Flare

Flying Bolts of Doom

680830 Potch
3700 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd be happy with anything, really. I enjoy games....and anything to distract me from my schoolwork. :P
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You can count on me to be around and help wherever I can, Vextor.

Good to know your health's improved!
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Currently I'm trying to get control back over my site. I can't even get into my files right now because I completely forgot all of my passwords!
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Perhaps something like a guild system, where you can freely make groups with each other (maybe only be in one at a time though or something) and go on adventures/quests etc.
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you can manage to get a hold of John, he had a really good idea for a forum game, but I think it fell to the way side due to him being the only one working on it, as well as the Senso project. It might be a big undertaking, though.

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Ujitsuna":3m8srse6]Perhaps something like a guild system, where you can freely make groups with each other (maybe only be in one at a time though or something) and go on adventures/quests etc.

Yeah, that's definitely something I'd like to incorporate. Instead of people being sorted into groups, my plan is to make things generally player-generated.

[quote="TruePerception":3m8srse6]If you can manage to get a hold of John, he had a really good idea for a forum game, but I think it fell to the way side due to him being the only one working on it, as well as the Senso project. It might be a big undertaking, though.

I've been talking with Elc about Senso's situation, but no idea about John's site. I'm not interested in re-creating the "war" game though, and am aiming for something more "farmville"-esque, but with a more text-heavy slant.
Synchysi

Creatures Once Godlike

11782640 Potch
18161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Activity!

I'm still alive as well and should be able to come around more often if you need a hand with anything.

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Once activity is back I am sure I'll need your cold, dark hands to bring order to the place!

On other news, I got control back over the site. Yay!

Bad news is that fuji's code is so incredibly beyond my comprehension, that I can't even figure out how to modify the main site, which is pretty bad!

I'm thinking I may need to just make another site or something-- that'd be easier at least.
ard

Einherjar

804051 Potch
178 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This thread is most agreeable.
Vertius

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I feel as though reading this thread has been SuikoX's birthday present to me. Glad to hear you're well, Vextor, and I look forward to see what transpires. :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: