Suikoden Urgent and Irrational Keystone Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Ice Hockey
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Ice Hockey Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah it's not being played this season but if anyone comes in here and likes it and reads this thread....I just wanted to remind you we are currently missing the best part of the season, the playoffs. My Philadelphia Flyer's affiliate team (Philadelphia Phantoms) is currently 3-1 up in games against the Norfolk Admirals but it's just not the same...

Some of our top prospects are getting good experience though, among the Flyer's NHL players currently spending time in the AHL are Fedoruk, Pitkanen and Sharp, those likely to play for the Flyers once the NHL resumes are Seidenberg, Niitymaki, Umberger and Sim seems like a good callup player at this point.

I play myself but I can barely skate, I'm learning..so I suppose technically I don't play yet but anyway. Anyway hands up if your an ice hockey fan, make yourself known!

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not going to lie and say that I'm the greatest hockey fan ever. But man, that sport has such potential. It's really fun to watch, despite the lack of scoring. It's too bad that the players and owners can't get along at all. It's a shame.

There have been two moments in my Hockey history that totally got me super hyped. Being from Southern California, that type of thing is a rarity. The first was when Wayne Gretzky was traded to the Kings. That finals run was really nice, but to tell you the truth, I don't remember much of it.

Now my fondest memory was when the Anaheim Mighty Ducks came one game away from winning the Stanley Cup. As if the Anaheim Angels winning the World Series wasn't enough.

But I was drawn to hockey at that time; everyone was. Sure we were probably on the bandwagon, but I never seen so many people take an interest in hockey. The ratings reflected that, more people were watching the Ducks win than those watching the Lakers lose to the eventual NBA champion San Antonio Spurs.

There was nothing but hockey talk in the school, and the actual Stanley Cup came to the local mall. The line was huge. I was also supposed to graduate high school that year, so it added to the excitement.

Hockey brought a new playoff fever to my school and at home. Though the Ducks probably won't get there some time, and I've moved on from high school, it would be nice for them to actually have a chance to win a title. Maybe in my high school reunion. That would be pretty fitting.

But they need to get over labor disputes before they do that.

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The interesting thing is that there isn't really a lack of scoring in any sport like ice hockey or soccer, it's merely that you don't get multiple points for doing so.

More Americans would simply get into these sports if you just made each goal 7 points or something. For some reason, most Americans seems to just like seeing big numbers.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's not so much as the multiple points. I just want to watch a fast paced/aggressive scoring sport. Personally I watch Basketball and Baseball. I watch a little American football, but even then, I could see why someone would think that's a "slow paced" game. I say football's more about defense and so is hockey and soccer (everyone else's football)

I have a short attention span when it comes to television, so if I'm watching it on the screen, it better be fast paced otherwise I'll get bored. Now when I actually go to the sporting event, the feeling I get by just being there overtakes the attention span. It's not like there's a TV there to distract me either.

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree John that hockey doesn't lack scoring, you still see games of 5-4 results in football and hockey and that's plenty isn't it really. Actually Jose Mourinho upon hearing that Arsenal beat Tottenham 5-4 said it wasn't a football score, it was a hockey score (well he said it about one game or another arsenal vs someone that just seems the most likely). Ice Hockey however is a defensively orientated game these days, there's an emphasis on a forward being good two ways everyone has to pull their weight in their own zone or they'll generally suffer the wrath of whoever their coach might be, but there is an adage in hockey that states defence wins championships.

But despite all that, hockey's higher ups have decided to make the game higher scoring if they can by placing more restrictions on goalie pad sizes, considering making the nets larger and increasing the size of the offensive zone.

I quite like american football, I just have a problem with all the changeovers, stopping and starting...I like some flow to the sport, same applies to hockey, they do stop and start a fair bit, I think their goal problems (still not seeing one myself but...) could be solved by a better flow to the game, catching teams on line changes more often due to this and wearing down players due to longer stretches of play since this is when they would make mistakes.

Ced, what's a faster paced more aggressive sport than hockey?! To be honest I can sit through a massively boring game of hockey and still enjoy it just because the result has meaning to me being a fan I can think how it affects my team, I can understand you not being a fan would easily turn off a game well before I ever would.

John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with PF agreeing with me. :P I also agree with his other comments.

What makes sports like ice hockey and soccer exciting is that they are free flowing. At any second the offensive team and defensive team switch. One mistake and suddenly you're gone from pressing the attack to having your backs to the wall. Hockey has more stops, for me, which is why I don't follow it but it's much better than American Football which I find to be a repetitive cycle of "It's your turn to try score. Now it's mine. Now it's yours." and so on. And Baseball... well, how much movement is there in Baseball? Hit the ball, run in a circle (or diamond), repeat.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, hockey does have a lot of stoppage in the play, especially when you consider that it can take three hours for 60 minutes of play... even longer if it goes into overtime. Personally, I think it's ridiculous to try to change the game so it increases the chances of scoring. Not everybody can be a Wayne Gretzky or a Gordie Howe, nor can every goalie be a stone wall.

For some reason, it reminds me of Gary Bettman's comments following the Olympics when NHL players were permitted to compete. Since the United States didn't win the gold in those games, Bettman doubted whether NHL players would be permitted to participate in future Olympics.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Now that is stupid, the olympics were a fun tournament I remember them well, Richter was astonishing for the americans, preventing many would be goals. I loved seeing the NHL players in a big time tournament using european sized ice rinks, it changed the game up and made for some really pretty plays on it.

I fully agree three hours of time for a game of sixty minutes is far too much, that should be almost halved in some way, some how, they tried to speed it up by introducing the 10 second faceoff rule but to be honest the difference that made wasn't particularly noticeable for me.

Sparhawk

Lords of Foolishness

207476 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There is a simple problem with hockey: no household names. Tell me the name of a hockey player that EVERYBODY knows that is in the NHL right now. After Gretzky, the NHL hasn't had any big name players that the average person would know. The NHL hasn't marketed themselves well. Look at the other major sports. Baseball, Football, and Basketball all have people that we could go up to someone who doesn't know sports, talk to them about those atheletes and they would know what position, sport, and team they play for. Can you do that with hockey? NO, you can't. If you go down the street and pick a random person, chances are you'll get: "Madano who? Yzerman who? Hull? Oh, you mean Bobby Hull. Yeah he was a pretty good player back in the day..." This is the problem with hockey.

The Stampede

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was a fan of nhl before and watch them on t.v. whenever there is one until the station stops airing them I haven't seen any nhl game since then and also I'm not living in america or canada so I couldn't watch it in arenas. The only connection to nhl I can get is through internet but I'm not okay with that so I've lost interest in nhl not because of the game. Anyway during the days i watched nfl my favorite players would be dominik hasek from buffalo sabres, steve yzermen from detriot red wings and chris pronger of st. louise blues.
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, Adam, I'm not in america but I couldn't name a single baseball player but then I guess I don't count in your context. I think everyone should know Mario Lemieux, shouldn't they? I mean he's top 3 all time with Bobby Orr and Wayne Gretzky, don't ask me for an order, I've only ever seen Lemieux play and sparingly at that.

I have heard from American and Canadian fans that it's poorly marketed over there, I mean it's supposed to be the 4th sport but don't tv ratings actually go higher for sports like Lacrosse as well? I'm not sure.

ed_20, you picked some really good players, I think Hasek is pretty much a fading star now though, since Buffalo he went to Detroit (won a stanley cup there) and has since signed for the Ottawa Senators, they have back up for him (since he seems to have recurring strains these days) in...it's been so long I can hardly remember this...I want to say Hurme but I'm not sure...Prusek actually I think and Ray Emery in the AHL who's not bad but needs to keep his head, he's very temperamental. Yzerman is just Yzerman, a class act and Pronger well, pay issues might see him leave the St. Louis Blues after the current lockout situation is resolved.

Sparhawk

Lords of Foolishness

207476 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Listen, all of us here are hockey fans. We know about hockey, so any of us wouldn't fit into the cateagory that I named. What I meant was someone who doesn't know the slightest thing about sports would probably know who Terrel Owens is or maybe Lebron James, or Allen Iverson, Shaq, ect...

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mention Martin brodeur, plenty of people know him. Oh and, Federov, or Roy, A lot of non-hockey players know those names. When I first got together with my girlfriend she didn't know anything about hockey (heh, I changed that.) but she knew the names Brodeur and Roy.

Anyway, I hope to see a season this time around, but it probably won't happen. We can only hope that another league gains more media attention and that can TRY to fill the gaps in our hearts.

btw, harcore devils fan since 1990 (It's the first time I remember disagreeing with my family, they're all rotten rangers fans)

Anyway, watch an AHL game if you have the time, it's definitely worth it.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eurgh, New Jersey Devils, my sworn enemy, my brother supports them too, don't worry he's been giving me stick ever since their last cup win. Got my own back a bit in the last playoffs, the flyers had a good run then.

At least we can agree on the Rags being evil!

I'd love to watch the phantoms playing right now, they're in the eastern conference AHL finals against the Providence Bruins (P Bruins, Baby Bruins, whatever people feel like calling them). Jeff Carter and Mike Richards (our two 1st rounders from 2 years ago, same year you got Zach Parise) have been playing great so far and Jeff Carter is the joint top goalscorer with 9 and joint second in points (13) overall for the Calder Cup playoffs, exciting times for that team right now.

Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Damn, it's been three years since this thread has been active? Well, since it's the only general hockey thread, I guess I'll make use of it.

It kinda sucks that (now former) Canucks captain Markus Naslund has signed with the New York Rangers (I think it's a toss up as to which team I dislike more: the Rangers or the Toronto Maple Leafs), but it's not like the concept was totally unexpected. There has been talk for quite a while that Naslund might not be returning, though most of the speculation was that he wanted to return to Sweden.

The big question now is who will be the new captain of the Canucks? The popular choice is Willie Mitchell, which I would certainly like to see.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: