Suikoden Urgent and Illegal Knowledge Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

004 - The Unnecessary Distraction

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: 004 - The Unnecessary Distraction Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Damn, I really wanted to meet Andrew Lizar

Jet sat in a metal foldout chair watching the events of the tournament on a flat screen television. The other members of Akigiyama special forces, the armored unit corp, were watching as well. They had seen the strange transmission and had seen the UN President run off

"Do you think it's legit?" 4 asked, glancing over at the others.

Number 1 glanced at his unit and shrugged. "If it is, we're going to get a call from Kaiser shortly. But it may have just been something to get Lizar out of the tournament." He glanced over at Jet. "And if we get a call from Karn... sorry kid, you won't be fighting in this tournament after all."

Jet shrugged. "Too bad, it would have been nice to win it."

The others began to laugh some as 1 shook his head. "Win? No one with no magical potential can win this tournament, Jet."

Jet got to his feet and stretched out some. "Is that so? My opponent has magical ability, doesn't he? Do you think I couldn't beat him?"

1 shook his head. "Maybe one, but without your armor, you wouldn't win against the best fighters in the tournament," he responded in the haughty, authoritative tone he seemed to resort to often. Of course, this wasn't a slight on Jet. 1 knew that Jet was more than capable of holding his own. He hadn't been picked to be a member of the armor corps because he was weak. But this tournament tended to bring out the most powerful warriors out there, and as good as Jet was with his swords, 1 had never seen him show any magic potential.

Jet let out a smirk. "Then let's see," he said, a challenge to his unit's leader. "A month's salary that I handle myself without magic."

"I'll take that, 5" 3 responded to Jet. Jet nodded before the sound of a ringing phone filled the room.

1 reached down and picked up his cell phone. "Here," he responded quickly. He listened for only a minute or so. "Understood," he ended the one-sided conversation and closed the phone.

"It's real," he said, glancing to Jet. "You four are on stand-by, since 5 is in the tournament. I'm flying out to Egypt to meet with the brass at our base there."

He saluted the others, who saluted back, and walked out without another word. After he was gone, three laughed some. "Aliens... who would have figured? I guess we'll be fighting green men from outer space."

2 shot a glance at 3. The transmission had come across clearly on their screen. "Who said anything about combat? They said they were peaceful."

3 looked back at 2, glancing the woman over. "There has never been an incident in recorded history where two races met that did not end with war and, eventually, the destruction of a species. They said they wanted trade, but we know that is foolish. If they wanted resources, they could get it elsewhere, resources are infinite in the universe. The only reason they could have for wanting to come to an inhabited planet is the one thing that isn't common in the galaxy, life."

"You're such a pessimist," 2 scoffed as Jet watched the television monitor.

"I'm up," he said abruptly, not really interested in the conversation about the alien species.

The arena was rather surprised as the operatic music filled it. Jet stood on one side of the stage, hips cocked and arms crossed as he looked his opponent over. It was a fairly muscular man. He was a head or two taller then Jet and held a large hammer in one hand. He was playing to the crowd, taunting Jet on his music selection. Jet walked over the announcer, speaking softly.

"This isn't a fair fight."

Both the announcer and his opponent, who Jet later learned took on the name Aegis, despite it being a shield rather than a hammer, stared at him.

"What? Does the little boy not want to fight a real man?" Aegis scoffed loudly. "This pansy doesn't deserve to be in this ring!"

Jet leaned over, speaking to the announcer again. "No, you see, it's not a fair fight for him. Can you get me some rope?"

Both of them stared at Jet and Aegis's hand clenched his hammer tightly. The announcer looked around, a little confused, before calling. "Can I get some rope in the ring?"

It took a few minutes for a good length piece of rope to be procured. In the meantime, Jet removed his two swords and tossed them out of the ring. Aegis was fuming at the delay, as was the crowd. This wasn't a show, this was complete disrespect, but the fight kept at bay. If this guy wanted to lose so badly, Aegis was sure to let him.

When a tournament volunteer finally brought the rope, Jet instructed him to tie it around his waist once, then secure his left hand behind his back. This draw a large amount of screaming from Aegis, and even some boos from among the crowd. Was this joker really intending to fight with one hand tied behind his back? The man who entered with an opera score and was half the size of his opponent? Jet appeared as though he were making a mockery of this whole thing, and he, at least in part, was.

After his hand was secured, Jet nodded to the announcer. "OK, I'm ready. Sorry for the delay."

The announcer rolled his eyes and muttered that it better be worth it. When the two men finally stood apart, ready to face each other, Aegis screamed out. "I'm going to enjoy pounding your face in!"

Jet just nodded his head, a thin smile appearing on his lips. Aegis charged recklessly, his hammer held high above his head. Jet didn't move, he didn't try to circle Aegis as he was charging, nor did he even shift his body weight to prepare to dodge. That made it all the more stunning when Aegis's hammer crashed into floor of the arena, missing Jet entirely. Jet had been standing in the spot, but he wasn't now. His movements were fluid and much faster than Aegis had anticipated. He slid to his left, the heel of his right landed on the far side of Aegis's wrist while his left knee slammed into his elbow. It didn't take much force, the momentum of the hammer swing facilitated Jet's counter-attack. A loud crack came from Aegis's arm and he screamed out. The hammer clanked harmlessly to the ground and Jet spun, the back of his foot crashing into Aegis's head, sending him tumbling to the ground.

The crowd was dumbfounded at first. Aegis as well, as he tried to get up only to find the pain shooting through his broken arm. Jet just waited, interested to see if the man would get up. When he did, Jet slid his feet apart slightly, furling his brow and looking the man over. His arm trembled, but the adrenaline pumped through his opponent. He was angry. His other arm began to glow and Jet could see the sweat starting to bead up in his arm.

Aegis screamed out and thrust his hand toward Jet. A massive fireball seemed to engulf half of the ring, but Jet wasn't there.

Did they really think I'd never dealt with magic before? Did they really think I'd freeze? Did they really think I'd have no response to it?

The fight ended when Jet's foot cracked into the back of Aegis's head. The man jarred forward some, then lost consciousness. By the time the fireball had dissipated, Jet was standing victoriously over his opponent. The arena roared as Jet walked off, grabbing his swords and slicing through the rope. The fight had been short, but brutal enough to satiate the crowd's violent lust, even with the delay.

Jet couldn't take too much solace in the win though. He still wouldn't get to meet Andrew Lizar here.

Chapter note: Jet will be my main character for this chapter. I will do posts as Logan, but this storyline isn't one that'd fit him very well as a main character.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Midnight Dawn All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: