Suikoden Uncanny and Illegal Knowledge Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

126 - Epilogue: Astral and Arcane (part 2)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JasonPaul

66249 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: 126 - Epilogue: Astral and Arcane (part 2) Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[p:1fdro8ow]Is this what it's like to die?[/p:1fdro8ow]
[p:1fdro8ow]Khali could only see white. It wasn't because it was bright outside, but rather because arcane energy was surrounding her and coursing through her body uncontrollably. Khali was wrong.[/p:1fdro8ow]
[p:1fdro8ow]This is what it was like to die screaming.[/p:1fdro8ow]
[p:1fdro8ow]The pain she was feeling was unbearable, as if ropes of intense fire were wrapped around her body and threatening to pull it apart. How much longer would it be? A few seconds? A few minutes? How much longer before it ended? Khali cursed her foolish pride, and begged to her beloved Soljin to forgive her. She had failed to avenge him, and no one to blame but herself.[/p:1fdro8ow]
[p:1fdro8ow]Suddenly the pain began to subside. Not much, but it was noticeable. She felt a hand on her shoulder. She couldn't see who it was that was holding her, but could hear his voice speak to her.[/p:1fdro8ow]
[p:1fdro8ow]"It is not yet your time," he said to her. She recognized the man's voice as Jaearr's. "Quickly now," he said to her. "Complete the spell."[/p:1fdro8ow]
[p:1fdro8ow]Khali didn't know why, but she suddenly felt renewed strength. Her vision began to clear as she saw her enemy, Krill, before her. No longer was Krill mocking her. Indeed, he had seen Jaearr's interference and was quite angry about it. He began casting a variety of spells, all with the intent to stop Khali. None of the spells found their mark, as Jaearr had set up a defensive spell around Khali. There was nothing that could stop her now. The power of the arcane was in her hands. All that was left was to unleash it.[/p:1fdro8ow]
[p:1fdro8ow]She slowly drew the Almaghest rune into the air and chanted.[/p:1fdro8ow]
"Darkness beyond blackest pitch
Emptiness beyond deepest void
I summon thee to the material world
I grant thee my body and soul as thy vessel"

[p:1fdro8ow]Khali once again began to feel the arcane energies well up within her, but this time she knew what to expect. Even despite the immense pain she was feeling, she would contain the arcane energies this time.[/p:1fdro8ow]

"May chaos reign anew in this world of tranquility
May the energies of the arcane nether come forth
And vanquish all that stands before me in a sea of madness
Now and forever, let your voice be heard!"

[p:1fdro8ow]The arcane energies were beginning to reach their limit as she neared the end of her chant. This was more power than she'd ever expected to wield in her lifetime, and she had to admit at the time that she liked it. She pointed both index fingers at Krill, and time stood still all around her as completed the spell.[/p:1fdro8ow]
[p:1fdro8ow]"Al....ma....ghest!"[/p:1fdro8ow]
[p:1fdro8ow]A huge dark purple beam of unimaginable power suddenly shot from Khali's hands and careened towards Krill. There was nothing that he could do to avoid it. Because the Almaghest extended into multiple planes of existence, Krill could not bypass it through warping through space. He could do nothing but take the full brunt of the blast, and screamed in pain as he suddenly felt what Khali felt only minutes ago.[/p:1fdro8ow]
[p:1fdro8ow]When the spell ended, Khali opened her eyes. Krill was still standing, and Khali fell to her knees. The Almaghest was a spell capable of destroying entire countries, yet it could do nothing against the Motarian. Jaearr warned her of this earlier. After all, Krill was immortal. Nothing, not even a blast of pure chaos itself could kill him. Despair came over Khali. Her act of defiance against the Motarian was nothing more than a display of pride and vanity. Was there truly nothing she could do?[/p:1fdro8ow]
[p:1fdro8ow]However, it soon became apparent to Khali that her actions were not in vain. Krill suddenly dropped to a knee and coughed up blood. He clutched his right shoulder with his left arm. Even though she didn't know the extent of the damage she had done, she managed to hurt Krill. Perhaps this was the chance she and her friends needed. She could do nothing more to Krill, but she knew someone who could. She turned and looked behind her at Akira, Miwan, and Yue, who were all watching the spectacle from a distance.[/p:1fdro8ow]
[p:1fdro8ow]"Finish...him..." Khali whispered as her body collapsed to the floor and greeted unconsciousness.[/p:1fdro8ow]

[p:1fdro8ow]"Let me try to explain it in layman's terms," Anwyn said. "Normal Alma-rune spells summon the essence of chaos itself from the arcane nether. Mundane Alma-rune spells use a very small portion of this, and are therefore relatively easy to control. Almaghest uses a very large amount of arcane energy. So much so that it's impossible to contain normally. The caster has to use his or her own body to contain the energy before it can be released as an attack."[/p:1fdro8ow]
[p:1fdro8ow]The Mystic produced a balloon and inflated it a little bit. "Let's say, for instance, that this balloon represents the human body, and air represents chaotic energy. A wizard has to control the flow of energy while casting the spell to keep it from going out of control. Once he loses control of the flow of energy, it'll enter his body at an accelerated rate, and once that happens..." He then inflated the balloon until it burst. "The inevitable conclusion."[/p:1fdro8ow]
[p:1fdro8ow]"Is that what happened to Khali?" Andrew asked.[/p:1fdro8ow]
[p:1fdro8ow]"Well, that's usually what happens when someone loses control of an Almaghest," Anwyn replied, "but what happened to Khali is something that's stumped even me. Khali was fortunate enough that Jaearr was there to take the brunt of the arcane overflow. He saved her life, although the arcane has had a profound effect on her body. Her current condition is unlike anything I've seen before or since. The failed Almaghest has actually altered her body to the point that she's become fused with the arcane itself."[/p:1fdro8ow]
[p:1fdro8ow]"That explains why she looks like she does," Andrew said.[/p:1fdro8ow]
[p:1fdro8ow]"But that's not all," Anwyn replied. "Disturbingly, her body is continuing to produce arcane energy. It's not unlike being irradiated. The arcane energy is having effects on the environment around her as well."[/p:1fdro8ow]
[p:1fdro8ow]Khali held up what used to be the water glass. "For instance, this," she said.[/p:1fdro8ow]
[p:1fdro8ow]"This isn't actually the first place we've had her," Anwyn continued. "She was at a medical ward on the outskirts of New Belexes. Unfortunately the arcane energy radiating from her body has made it into an uninhabitable zone. Everything there has been mutated to the point that...well...it's indescribable, let me put it that way."[/p:1fdro8ow]
[p:1fdro8ow]"Damn," Andrew said. "Can anything be done for her?"[/p:1fdro8ow]
[p:1fdro8ow]"Working on it," Anwyn said, "but so far we've run a blank. Unfortunately we can't keep her here or she'll ruin this place like she did the first."[/p:1fdro8ow]
[p:1fdro8ow]"You can't just abandon her!" Andrew replied.[/p:1fdro8ow]
[p:1fdro8ow]"Believe me," Anwyn said, "Silf has the same idea you have, but the senate sees things differently. They're looking out for the best interests of New Belexes, and in fact a few of them are suggesting terminating Khali before her arcane fallout continues to spread."[/p:1fdro8ow]
[p:1fdro8ow]"You should do that anyway," Khali interjected. "I'm a danger to not just the Mystics, but everything I come into contact with."[/p:1fdro8ow]
[p:1fdro8ow]"I already told you Silf's not going to allow that," Anwyn replied.[/p:1fdro8ow]
[p:1fdro8ow]Khali actually scoffed at the offer of generosity. "She always was too nice for her own good."[/p:1fdro8ow]
[p:1fdro8ow]"Well, I'm not giving up on you," Andrew said to her. "If there's anything I can do, I'll be glad to try and cure this malady."[/p:1fdro8ow]
[p:1fdro8ow]Khali actually smiled a bit at Andrew's sudden offer, although her words were as negative as ever. "Don't make promises you can't keep."[/p:1fdro8ow]
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Midnight Dawn All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: