Suikoden Urgent and Irenic Karma Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Mystery Science Theater 3K and fic MSTs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Mystery Science Theater 3K and fic MSTs Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Has anyone else seen this series? I've seen only the ones being released by Rhino right now, but I can see that they made sure to pick the good ones. :D

My two favorite episodes are the Creeping Terror and Manos: Hands of Fate. The jokes are hilarious, like when Mike comments about the 'beast' in CT, "Be kinda ironic if he had a tapeworm", or when Joel remarks in Manos, "Manos: Hands of Fate was filmed in location on a vacant lot".

And then I read all the MSTs for fanfics, and I notice that they downright SUCK! If you would want to MST fics, wouldn't it be logical to educate yourself with the show before trying it yourself? It's like making up a Sailor Senshi for a Sailor Moon fic while knowing squat about the series and characters. Doesn't make sense, does it?

Why do I think some fic MSTs suck? There are plenty of reasons, such as using characters as MSTers who also appear in the fanfic itself, making for a constant, useless stream of panic from the MSTer in question. Then there are MSTs that constantly correct grammar and bash the author's logic skills such as this one:

http://clarenicholas.bravehost.com/pikaMST.html

Both the fic and the MST are pointless... But that doesn't mean there aren't any good MSTs out there either. The 'Rude Awakening' MST at Midgar Swamp was pretty good.

http://serpent231.tripod.com/rude.shtml

I'm always on the hunt for good MSTs to read, so if you guys have any in mind, I'd like to see them.

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

MST was truly awesome. Too bad the show got cancelled, as happens to all good shows. I've had plenty of "milk out the nose" moments with that show.

^Actual quote!
Earthquake923

SB90's Mechanized Monsters

179201 Potch
0 Soldiers
778121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You should try to contact Nailo he is HUGE fan of the series. I think he watches the dvds everyday. I don't know if he wrote anything, but you could ask.
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Man, I absolutely loved the Mystery Science Theatre 3000 series. I got into it pretty late, though, the first episode I watched was the season finale. :shock:

But, I watched it all the time when the reruns were on the SciFi Channel. It's pretty much what everybody and their friends like to do: make fun of bad movies.

Oh, and MSTs for fanfics generally suck. I can understand why fanfiction.net got rid of them.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

:shock: Really? I never knew FF.Net had MSTs at one point. Or were they posted by noobs looking for a couple of reviews? :roll:

I think the art of MSTing is slowly dying, especially since the perpetual loss of Web Site Number 9. That doesn't stop me from trying myself, but good MSTs are just hard to find: you'd have to understand the show itself, how the jokes are invented, what kind of joke to use, and so forth. Plus I notice some author-bashing in several fics, which I believe is a big no-no. If you want to MST the author, send them a flame. Fic MSTs exist for the FIC, not for the author.

I'm not going to say that I'm a guru at MSTing, but understanding the show's greatness compared to fic-MSTs' badness helps me try to blend the two together into an MST that's witty and funny.

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Benit149, you are awesome for bringing this up. I love the series. I recently watched the movie (This Island Earth), but I have seen about 4 or 5 episodes previously. The funniest one I've seen is the Pumaman. That movie was just so rediculuous to begin with. :lol:

My favorite comment would be "Breach hull, all die. Even had it underlined."

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh man, in This Island Earth, I had a laugh attack.

"...eat at Joe's, eat at Joe's, eat at Joe's..."

"Hey, he's got my grandmother's legs..."

And too many other moments to recall.

^Actual quote!
Earthquake923

179201 Potch
0 Soldiers
778121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Has anyone seen the shorts collections. My favorite one has the kitchen of tomorrow where it bakes a cake with candles, and some says"I call no way". ILMAO. But I find MST3K is better a little lit if you get my drift. It just seems funnier.
KoRnholio

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

We've got a huge collection of MST tapes at my house (we taped them every week for the last year or so it was still on TV, and bought a bunch from Rhino). I'd have to agree with whoever mentioned the milk-out-the-nose moments (one favorite is....the one where the guy gets in trouble for watching Casablanca....Memory something?). Probably more than any other TV show did MST have me laughing so hard it just....hurts. Its a damn shame that nobody has picked it up for syndication, and probably never will. Why doesn't Comedy Central do it? It'd be better than most of what they've got on there now (6 episodes of MAD TV a day)....
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I believe I already mentioned my two favorites, but if I was forced to pick one of them, it'd be Creeping Terror, hands down (for now). Even my friend said that it was the worst attempt at both a horror movie and a monster costume she'd ever seen, and she's seen hundreds upon hundreds of VHS movies. I think that's a huge statement. :lol:

Has anyone tried watching the Rhino episodes without the gang's heckling, if the episode was a double-sided DVD? I tried watching Creeping Terror w/o their jokes, and it was really weird. Even without them, I couldn't resist mocking their lines each time a scene came by. Creeping Terror is really just a silent horror film with some loose, monotone narration and rare bits of bad dialouge, and after seeing it, it makes you appreciate the MSTers even more for lightening things up. I'm amazed the writing crew could sit down and watch it beforehand. :shock:

Earthquake923

179201 Potch
0 Soldiers
778121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

KoRnholio wrote:
(one favorite is....the one where the guy gets in trouble for watching Casablanca....Memory something?)

You mean Over drawn at the Memory Bank. My favorite part is when they are playing the piano. And the robots are singing.
Da, da, da, da, da, sucks
da, da, da, da, da crap
I shudder to think that could have been Raul's last role.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Earthquake923 wrote:
Has anyone seen the shorts collections.

I've watched them. The only one I remember watching right now (even though I've seen them all) is the old college recruiting thing about how women should take home economics.

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sorry to revive this thread, but I am in love with this series. Back in 1993, I remember surfing the channels and I saw an episode that looked very similar to Ultraman. In any case, I didn't pay too much attention to the show until I became a regular viewer in 1996 after I saw an episode with Frank on Comedy Central. Once the show moved to the Sci Fi Channel, I tuned in every Saturday night to see what crazy shenanigans Mike and the gang would get themselves into.

I started to pick up the DVD sets after Christmas 2005 and, despite the fact that they are quite costly, I have volumes 4, 5, 7, 8, and 9, as well as the Essentials. Eventually, I got my family reacquainted with the series, including my eight-year-old nephew who laughed out loud at many of the jokes (of course, he probably didn't know what they were discussing).

In any case, here are my favorite episodes in no particular order:

Puma Man ("Puma Man. He flies like a moron.")
The Sinister Urge
Hobgoblins ("The car will do anything to get out of this movie.")
Touch of Satan
Boggy Creek II ("SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM!")
Time Chasers
Prince of Space
Manos: The Hands of Fate (a movie SO terrible that they often say that out loud)

I also have to mention the movie, because it also sparked my interest when I was a lowly sixth grader. However, as much as I want it, the cheapest copy I have come across rivals the price of Suikoden II.

Not all ninja codes are brewed equally. Here at Shinobi, we use the choicest Bavarian hops that are ripened to perfection. One sip and we will have you saying...nothing.
Karushifa

155169 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love, love, LOVE this show. I had no idea what it was until my sister dragged me to see the movie in 1997 when I was in high school. We saw it in this crummy college town theater two towns away, which had maybe five other people watching the movie with us, so I was thinking, oh great, this is gonna suck. An hour and a half later, I was hooked.

I became a devout viewer from the start of the Sci-Fi Channel era, but I've caught up with many of the older episodes as well. It's a shame that the early tapes were hard-to-find, and that the new DVD sets cost so much, but I managed to find a few websites that sell recordings of unreleased episodes that fellow fans taped, and have been able to build my collection with those along with the official releases.

Thor McOdin wrote:
In any case, here are my favorite episodes in no particular order:

Puma Man ("Puma Man. He flies like a moron.")
The Sinister Urge
Hobgoblins ("The car will do anything to get out of this movie.")
Touch of Satan
Boggy Creek II ("SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM!")
Time Chasers
Prince of Space
Manos: The Hands of Fate (a movie SO terrible that they often say that out loud)

Thor, I believe we have very similar tastes. A lot of those episodes you listed are among my favorites as well. I actually just got my tape-trader copy of The Sinister Urge in the mail; gotta love that genius Ed Wood. Here are a few other faves of mine:

- The Giant Spider Invasion ("Packers won the Super Bowl!!! Packers!!! Wooooo")
- Parts: The Clonus Horror ("Don't fill him up with Smuckers again, nurse, that wasn't funny.")
- The Final Sacrifice ("Give up your hockey hair!" "Never!")
- The Deadly Mantis ("...but I've got a mantis in my pantis...")
- Revenge of the Creature ("Well, time to go make the Lagoon a little Blacker...")
- Angels' Revenge ("The mean streets of Ojai")
- Space Mutiny ("Buck Plankchest! Dirk Hardpeck! Rip Steakface!" etc.)

I really wish they would re-release the movie on DVD...perhaps there are some legal hurdles relating to "This Island Earth" that haven't been resolved. However, as long as the DVDs are out and people keep buying them, there's always a chance, I guess.
Delsaber

New Gaien Wildcards

132495 Potch
1660 Soldiers
2625 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Rowsdower. Zap Rowsdower.

I used to have a ton of episodes sitting on my computer before the drive had to go and crash on me. Finding the DVDs locally hasn't been a terribly fruitful exercise so far, although I have managed to find Red Zone Cuba. "Did they even have to GO to Cuba?!" "Somewhere behind that tree a scene is happening!"

Most of my favourites echo what I've seen on the other lists here: Prince of Space, Final Sacrifice, Angels' Revenge, Space Mutiny, Manos... The Undead and Laserblast were great too. As was Hobgoblins... "The cameraman can't even work up the energy to walk over there."

Dr. Forrester and TV's Frank were by far the best Bads. I never really cared much for Pearl. As for shorts, my absolute favourite is still "Why Study Industrial Arts?" and any of the ridiculous 50's social engineering stuff is great too, especially "A Date With Your Family".

Be sure to check out RiffTrax if you miss the MSTie touch.

Last edited by Delsaber on Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: