Suikoden United and Informational Kraalesque Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

091 - Explanations Long Overdue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JasonPaul

66249 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: 091 - Explanations Long Overdue Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wight had to be careful. Very careful.

Doing an unsolicited investigation on your own organization was serious business. As of right now nobody in the UPCA bothered to call Wight back from the neutral site, but he didn't know how long that would last. And if someone had gotten wind that the Secretary of State was snooping around, they might decide to send him back to Antarctica to await some other errand. He couldn't afford that. Not now. Not when he had a chance to prevent war.

It was for this reason that he was fortunate enough to have that pair of queens--hearts and spades--in his pocket. Although they worked in the interests of the UPCA most of the time, they had no formal ties to the organization, and their loyalty lied only with Michael Wight, and not the UPCA itself. By this time they should have each reached the opposing sides of the conflict and began their investigation into One Nation and Ohio.

Wight himself looked through recent activities of the board members of the UPCA, but found nothing of interest. David Holmes was everywhere he was supposed to be, and none of the board members did anything that seemed suspicious. For all intents and purposes, it seemed as if they had no part in the assassination, yet Wight couldn't shake the feeling that he was missing something, a crucial piece of the puzzle.

The door to his office at the Harrison City Hall (which currently functioned as his makeshift place of business) opened and a familiar face entered. It was Marcus Lizar, who was the de facto leader of the Freedom Fighters now that Andrew was the UN president. "Come in," Wight said, offering him a seat across from his desk. "Can I help you?"

"Yeah," Marcus said, "but I've got a question first. Why are you still here? I figured you'd have left with David Holmes."

"I've not been called back yet," Wight replied. "And I'd like to find out who it was that sent the assassin in the first place."

Marcus nodded, and thought about the best way to put what he wanted to say. For all that Andrew told him, Wight seemed like a genuinely nice guy, and if that was the case, he might be willing to lend a hand in the investigation. Assuming, of course, Wight wasn't in on the whole thing. "Do you know anything about the deal Holmes supposedly offered to Reynolds?"

Wight frowned a bit. "Yes," he said. "It's not something that I personally would have done, but I can see why Holmes made the offer. Ohio never stood...doesn't stand a chance against One Nation, and the UPCA is not averse to giving aid to growing nations in the event of a terrorist attack or something of that nature. I don't believe One Nation is a terrorist organization myself, but it would be too cruel to leave Ohio to their own devices."

Marcus nodded. The answer sounded good enough, but there was one other thing he needed to know. "Do you know of the conditions of the deal Holmes made? Or for that matter, do you know why Reynolds turned him down?"

Wight thought for a second. "There were no conditions, as far as I know," he finally said. "And I can't say why Reynolds turned the offer down. Pride perhaps?"

If Wight really was in on it, Marcus thought to himself, he was doing a very good job of hiding it. "The condition for the deployment of UPCA troops was that once they were given, Ohio would not be allowed to surrender. They would have to fight until the end."

It took Wight a few seconds to realize the weight of what Marcus had just told him. As he did, a look of shock slowly crossed his face and he spoke in a quiet tone. "Is that a fact...?"

"It's what Reynolds told Andrew, and it's what Andrew told me. I trust Andrew."

And so did Wight. Offering troops was one thing, but authority was not given to Holmes, or anyone in the UPCA, to dictate the actions of another nation. Wight was speechless. He couldn't even guess what Holmes was thinking when he said that to Reynolds. He sighed and shook his head. "I don't know what to tell you," he finally said. "I had nothing to do with that."

Marcus nodded. "Okay, I believe you. Can I ask a favor of you?"

"You may ask," Wight replied.

"I have reason to believe the UPCA may be involved in the assassination. I was wondering if you'd give me some help on that?"

"I'll cooperate in any way you'd like," Wight replied. "Although I've been looking into it myself and have found nothing unusual."

"What about Akigiyama?" Marcus asked. "What's the UPCA's relationship with them?"

Wight raised an eyebrow. "We purchase weapons from them," he said, "but everyone does. We've had no formal relationships with the company beyond that."

Marcus nodded. "You might want to check again. Turns out that there was a lot of talk in Akigiyama when your boss visited Ohio. It might just be nothing, but..."

"Say no more," Wight replied. "You might have actually stumbled upon what I've been missing. I'll see what I can come up with."
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Midnight Dawn All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: