Suikoden Urgent and Irrational Knowledge Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

a question about the world map... (possible spoiler)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kairyu

Annihilation Unit

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: a question about the world map... (possible spoiler) Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

when I played Suikoden 4, I beat the game without completely uncovering the world map and there's this huge unexplored region. I'm curious is there anything in the northwestern parts of map? I only went to the necessary islands to collect all 108 stars.
please reply if you know
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Besides El Eal, which you can't enter until the end of the game, there is nothing north-west of Iluya.

EDIT: Oh, and there's Mountain Mass Island to the the north of Razril. It's a treasure hunting location.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Captain Hero

Forsaken Elites

194469 Potch
361 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Even though it looked big, the Suikoden IV map had only a few places you can visit (compared to 1, 2 and 3 :P).

Krawnik

Groundhog Pirates

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Am I the only one who was heartbroken over how few locales were availble for visit in Suikoden IV? Razril, Middleport, Nay, Na-Nal, and Obel were the only real cities or villages, and most of them were chronically underpopulated or otherwise served little purpose. It made trading feel extremely restricted, for one. For another, it made it difficult to turn around without finding a handful of SODs. I mean, in post-liberated Obel there are 9 Stars (if memory serves) who can be recruited no questions asked, one after the other, in like, 15 minutes. Only Travis decides to put you disproportionately out of your way. Also, with so few locales it meant that at some points in the game you didn't have a Runesmith, which was kind of a pain. I wanted to explore Gaien, damnation! I wanted to see more islands, and gather a huge fleet of like, 15 ships. Sigh.

The glorious Island Nations have been done an injustice.

416- friggin' racists, messing up my generalizations, also stealing my jobs, women.
RIP Ninjalicious
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I was bummed about that too. If you forget about the treasure hunting and the single purpose places (mordo,pirates cove, hut island) there's really only 7 places to go, 2 of which are only accessible at the end and beginning and the final Kooluk island at the very end.

In fact, there's never more than 5 places (exceptions noted above) available to you at the same time until the very end of the game.

Now that I think about it, it's quite depressing.... :(

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah the map was a bit bland to say the least, very devoid of land really, I mean they are the island nations but a couple more islands and places to go would of helped. Some of the places weren't even that big such as Mordo and Donut Island (yes I know they're treasure hunting spots, at least part of Mordo is) but in all it was somewhat lacking I suppose.

I suppose they did make the sea an interactive feature in that sailing certain areas while fishing would get you items and such but even the items were generally found next to land and not in random hotspots on the map.. If they had hidden them away more at least it would give you purpose to go to certain parts, my map was still largely covered in that fog of war type stuff at the end of the game.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Krawnik

Groundhog Pirates

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah... plus on the cloudy map, you can still see where most of the islands are as indicated by brown smears through the fog. So most of the "hidden" islands can be found without much trouble.

416- friggin' racists, messing up my generalizations, also stealing my jobs, women.
RIP Ninjalicious
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What's worse is that if you sail near Gaien, you can actually go through the landmass on the map, even though it doesn't appear visually at sea. They didn't even bother to add the main landmasses.

And I agree about the island sizes. Obel is supposedly a KINGDOM, the biggest of the Island Nations, but all I see is a few huts on a very small island. And they completely lacked a navy. They have like...2 ships or something. Why would Kooluk even bother invading them?

^Actual quote!
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Let's be fair. Kooluk's fleets were between two and three ships each too and they're an EMPIRE. And Obel Island is pretty damn large really, there's a big pile of it unexplored. It's probably the only place in the game that you can believe is an actual nation.

Besides, the Island Nations aren't meant to have much political or military power, that's the entire point.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Layfield wrote:
Besides, the Island Nations aren't meant to have much political or military power, that's the entire point.

Then why the heck would they make a Suikoden game about the place?!

^Actual quote!
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Because the story-line of Suikoden IV revolves around the stuggle of the various island nations to retain their own sense of national identity in the face of a more powerful, oppresive, foreign power on the fringe of beginning wide-spread colonisation in the area. It's the equvilient of the Caribbean islands fending off Spanish conquerers.
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought that it was a very minor war. If it weren't for the rune of punishment Kooluk would have one very early. They had a ton of ships that got wiped out because of that rune. It should have been an easy victory for them.
Krawnik

Groundhog Pirates

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If it weren't for the Rune of Punishment, Kooluk wouldn't have invaded >_>

RIP Ninjalicious
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They would've eventually. Southern expansion was always on the Kooluk agenda, to try and gain more territory to match its superior rivals to the north. The Scarlet Moon Empire.
Krawnik

Groundhog Pirates

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

But could Kooluk have handled Obel, Razril, or Gaien without Cray Trading Company backing them up?

RIP Ninjalicious
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: