Suikoden United and Illegal Kriegspiel Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

New Suikoden Trademark!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xelinis

2985 Potch
0 Soldiers
21837 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: New Suikoden Trademark! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Konami has filed a new Gensou Suikoden trademark.

http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regs ... y=77765442

Found this info on NeoGAF and feel like spreading the joy.

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can't help but feel really hopeful whenever this sort of news break out into the open. I'll have my fingers crossed for a Suikoden VI to be announced sometime soon!
Djungelurban

145425 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hopefully this can rejuvenate this dying fanbase again... After something as lackluster as Tierkreis we need something really spectacular in order to have it come to life again. I mean, this has been known for more than 12 hours already and we've got 3 posts about it so far... That's pitiful. If they don't make an excellent game within the old world, I'm pretty sure the series will go the way of Breath of Fire. But after Tierkreis... I just can't get myself excited about this anymore... I need alot more details about it before I can be bothered to care...
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh please be Suikoden VI! :P
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Likely they're just renewing their copyright over "Genso Suikoden" before their old copyright expires.
LanceHeart

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maybe, maybe not. All of Konami's trademarks don't have "Genso" in front of the name. If they were trying to renew the trademark, they should have used the original one for an actual renewal.

Here's another interesting tidbit. I figured out how to search the trademark database and found out that the Suikoden trademark has been canceled since before Suikoden Tierkreis was registered (and even prior to Suikoden ending up on PSN as a PSOne Classic), so them submitting Genso Suikoden over a year later seems a bit tenuous when trying to link it to a renewal.
Sami

Liberating Swords

199204 Potch
27 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New Suikoden Trademark! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

TGS here we come!

Would be great to have two Suikoden games on two consequtive years, it would also explain what took Konami so long after S5.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Or they could be trying to make sure nobody else gets the trademark for "Genso Suikoden."
They could have also faced some sort of legal barb by claiming a trademark for "Suikoden," which actually refers to "Shui Hu Zhuan." Nobody would be able to publish stuff about Shui Hu Zhuan's influence in Japanese literature, for example, without resolving legal matters with Konami.

I'd like to see more info before getting my hopes up.
LanceHeart

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Looking back at the "Suikoden" trademarks, they list the name's official translation as "Legend of Suiko". I don't really think "Shui Hu Zhuan" would be affected by this, though I don't think there have been any republications of the story since the game series started. There have also been many instances where trademarks have been duplicated with a different logo in order to get around the actual words being the same (There are a few companies called "MEGAMAN").

Looking back, the Suikoden trademark (complete file jacket lists the first game's manual, so this is the actual game's trademark) was canceled in early 2005. That's a four year gap where the other "Suikoden" trademarks were semi-owned by Konami for the rest of the series' games (including "Suikoden Tactics" and "Suikoden Tierkreis").

Here's some extraneous stuff I found out:
Suikoden is officially translated as "Legend of Suiko".
Suikoden Tierkreis is officially translated as "Legend of Suiko" and "Zodiac" (two separate words). I guess they truly were aiming for Zodiac when making Tierkreis... Heh.
JetTheHellfire

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It could be VI, but I wouldn't be upset if they were to release the old games on Wii. Anything to own II again without paying out the nose...
LanceHeart

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New Suikoden Trademark! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd rather have them release Suikoden II on PSN for a cheap alternative to actually buying the physical game. That way I could finally play through the entire series on my PS3 and keep the save transfer bonuses.
JetTheHellfire

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd love that idea, too, but I can't afford a PS3.
I heard that Sony was putting out a new PSP later this year, could this trademark be for releasing games on it?
LanceHeart

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New Suikoden Trademark! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No, the first Suikoden is already on the PlayStation Store. There was no trademark filing for that game (even though it was released when the original game's trademark was canceled), only an ESRB rating gave away its impending release.

Then again, if you have or are getting a PSP I can tell you that all PSOne games on the PS Store are compatible with the PSP. That means you can most definitely get Suikoden without a PS3 (but you still need a PSP connected to the internet via wireless or connected to your PC when you download it).

It's why I even buy PSOne games from the store in the first place: I can play my favorite console games from the late 90's on the go. Very few games actually look good on HDTVs, but 2D games seem far less prone to looking like crap which is why I opt for playing Suikoden on both my PS3 and PSP.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There's actually three different trademarks issued for "Suikoden."
One expired in 2005, but two others are still alive.
The most recent re-register of "Suikoden" happened in 2007, and was registered in November of 2008.
There's been no new Suikoden announced since, so I don't see the "Genso Suikoden" as being an indication for a new game.
It's likely Konami's attempt to make sure nobody else registers "Genso Suikoden" as their trademark. These days similar cases are happening in China and Thailand where Japanese companies fail to properly register their brand names in respective countries and lose their right to their own trademark, while unscrupulous vendors sell fakes using the real name. I can see some corporate-level decision being made that prompted this change.

One can even go on a limb and say Konami felt the need to do this after discovering fans are making their own Suikoden-themed games!

Now, if the new copyright registration is "Genso Suikoden: Happy Time with Luc-chan" then we can be pretty sure it's a new game.
Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Vextor":3lebmc68]
Now, if the new copyright registration is "Genso Suikoden: Happy Time with Luc-chan" then we can be pretty sure it's a new game.

See, now THAT would be the game that the franchise needs to get itself back on it's feet!

Anywho, I have no intention of getting my hopes up for anything. When they say "Yes, we have Suikoden VI coming out, no it's not based on the Tierkreis world, yes it is in the main story continuum" THEN I'll be happy about things. Until then, meh.

~Uguu!~
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: