Suikoden Uncanny and Inspirational Keystone Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Interactive story/collab project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TruePerception

Blind Eye

Potch
Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think I have a good idea for a character. I won't mention details, but he won't be very good to start with, but will get by, and if I make him stick him the story, he will get better, but will worse, as well. (I editted that last part to be more vague)

Oh, yeah! His name will be Adam. I think I'll leave it as just one name, but I may change that. The name is just the first random thing to pop into my dome, so don't expect him to be the second coming, or nothing.

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Amyral

Windriders

Potch
Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It was pretty fun the last time we did this. I may be interested.
Shad

Midnight

Potch
Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ok, just to take a head count so far, it looks like me and Laserkid (from another forum) will definitely be participating, and Gil, Geddoe, TruePerception, Amyral, Tull, Seraph, and Rune are considering it. Nine potential writers in less than two days is a great start.
How long would you guys like in order to give this some thought? I'm going to set an unofficial launch date for Friday, May 1st, but I can make it sooner or postpone it still. If you decide not to take part at first you'll be more than welcome to join in later, there will be no restrictions on when or how many people can join.

If anyone has questions, I'm connected to #suikox most of the day, you can ask here, send a PM, or get ahold of me on aim (Shad4k), msn (bobafett207@hotmail.com, but don't send emails to that address), or icq (16567455).
Weyoun

Jem'Hadar

Potch
Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Interactive story/collab project Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Put me down for this. I probably won't contribute very much, but I could get some posts in.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

Potch
Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

May 1st is fine for me, however, I have exams until the 14th of May, so I'm not sure how much I can participate until after the 14th.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TruePerception

Blind Eye

Potch
Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Whenever you're ready. I'll just contribute at my own pace.

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Shad

Midnight

Potch
Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Alright, here are the tentative rules. They aren't really subject to change (except parts of 5), but more can be added on request. Note that there are no rules regarding how often you contribute or whether your character(s) become involved in the main plot at all. Like I said, I want to keep this as unrestricted as possible:

1. Do not kill or otherwise cause a major life-changing occurrence to another author's characters without their permission. This includes any sort of romance.

2. Do not initiate a globe-changing event without the head author's permission. That would be me for the time being. This includes blowing up major cities, instigating wars, or enforcing an all-encompassing conflict that overshadows the main event. You can potentially do all of these things, but you have to pass them by me first.

3. Do not criticize another author for the quality, length, or frequency of their posts unless they specifically request constructive criticism. When I first started writing in this story I was 12, so I recognize the importance of giving everyone a chance.

4. The story can be as realistic or as fantasy-oriented as you want it to be. If you choose to make your main character an electromagnetic mermaid then so be it, but do so without altering the makeup of the entire universe. Normal household pets can't talk, normal average-Joe people can't light fires with their mental prowess, etc. Maybe yours can do both, but a normal average one cannot.

5. It should go without saying, but it somehow didn't last time (on a different forum, none of you guys to blame): No graphic sex scenes. There's no reason for it, it makes other authors uncomfortable, and I don't want to see it. Language and violence are tolerated, but please exercise moderation and recognize that this isn't Leona's Tavern.

Edit: Twice in the past when the main story at the time was over Rule 4 was lifted for a bit. The results were... entertaining. I may consider this again if there is an interest in it, but not for a while.
Aesa

Those Who Slumber

Potch
Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Belatedly I find this...well, better late than never *hops on the bandwagon* Let's get this wagon rolling :D

The setting sun means the rise of a new day...
...excepting for Ragnarok, of course

~Tinto~
kyura

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've never tried this before, I'm not sure I get the rules right... So I want to see it first and if I can follow it and if there's still place to participate, I'll join up, is that ok?
Shad

Midnight

Potch
Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Glad to see you two are interested. As far as timing goes, it's never too late to join. If you come in mid-way you may have to read a few earlier contributions to the story simply to have an idea of what's going on, but I'm placing no restrictions on when you can join. Months, or knock on wood a year into it, the doors will still be open. The story itself will go on as long as people take an interest in it, and while I'm starting it off, other authors will be given an opportunity to write the main story around which everything else is focused if they want to. There will be one "main story" at a time, but when mine ends someone else will be given the opportunity.

Kyura raises a good point though, the rules are kind of confusing. While I've given a lot of background info and explained what you can't do, I've yet to really explain what an interactive story is exactly, and I bet that's confusing people. I kicked this off on such a lark that I made the first post of this thread within an hour of coming up with the idea, just to see if people might be interested. Since people clearly are, I'm going to write up a more basic faq in a bit saying what this is exactly, and how each member will be able to take part in it. I'll post it later tonight.
Shad

Midnight

Potch
Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Interactive story/collab project Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ok, all this time I never explained exactly what is an interactive story and how it all works. I kind of dove into this head first and didn't take the time to cover the basics. I'm making an FAQ of sorts to clear things up. I'll edit this into the first post as well so people don't miss it:

I am starting the tenth installment of Midnight Dawn, a long-running interactive story/collaborative writing project, here on Suikox. You are all invited.

Q. What is an interactive story/collaborative writing project?: It is an open-ended work of fiction composed by multiple authors. It is commonly referred to as a collab or IS (interactive story).

Q. Is there any central direction, or is it really completely open ended?: That varies from IS to IS. This one will have a form of central direction. There will be a main story, or story arch, and the outcome of that story is predetermined but known only to the director.

Q. Who is the director?: In this IS, the director will alternate for each installment, or chapter. A chapter will consist of one story arch from start to conclusion. If the story arch is successfully concluded, a new author will be given the opportunity to direct the next one. I will be the director for this installment.

Q. How do I participate?: By creating your own character or characters and writing entries in the story to tell their tales. Entries can be in the form of standard third of first person prose, script format (e.g. Bob: My the sun is bright. *raises his hand to shield his eyes* Joe: Yeah, it's really hot out too. *casts Level 1 Ice on the party*), or even poetry if you feel so inclined.

Q. Are there any requirements for participation?: Only the 5 (very) basic rules posted here: [url:1u3x8wo6]http://www.suikox.com/forum/viewtopic.php ?p=835336#p835336[/url:1u3x8wo6]. There are no rules regarding number, length, or frequency of entries. You can post two paragraphs, you can post a short novel. You can post twice a day, you can post twice a month. You can post three times in a row if you want to. There will be no posting rotation. If you don't know what I mean by that, don't worry about it.

Q. What control will the director have over my characters?: None. The director will have control over only the main story arch. The director cannot kill, maim, or otherwise interfere with your characters, including involving them in the story arch without your consent (e.g. Revealing that they are an old acquaintance with the arch's main badguy without getting the author's permission first.)

Q. How do my characters interact with those of other authors?: When other authors' characters happen to be in the same place at the same time, you are free to include them in your entries unless the author specifically requests that you don't. Make sure you have a grasp of the character's personality/fighting style/etc before you use them though. Furthermore, you can use another author's characters any way you want as long as you get their permission first. Coordinate, collaborate, talk to each other! This is not required of course, and if you want to write your own side-story independent of the story arch, either individually or as a group, feel free to.

Q. I don't like how an author is using my character! What should I do?: If Bob is a timid magician and someone writes him as an arrogant gun-fighter, inform the director and author and the post will be edited for compatibility. These issues will be assessed on a case-by-case basis, and changes will only be made where the deviation is considered severe, such as in the example. It would be best for each author to give a little lee-way. For example, if someone uses your character a bit more aggressively than you like but it's nothing serious, the easiest resolution may be to simply write in your next post something akin to "Bob was shocked by his own reaction to the situation. He almost never loses his cool like that." Personal conflicts between authors should be resolved in PMs or referred to the director. Hostility will not be tolerated on the public forum.

Q. What is the setting for this story-arch?: See [url:1u3x8wo6]http://www.suikox.com/forum/viewtopic.php ?f=30&t=32301#p835277[/url:1u3x8wo6]

Q. You said this is the 10th chapter/installment. Did I miss something here? Where are the other 9?: Midnight Dawn is an IS that was established in late 1996/early 1997 on the Nintendo.com forums. And has since been hosted on various different sites. None of the original authors are still writing in it, however I and Laserkid, who will be joining us shortly, have been around since Chapter 3. We are currently carrying the tourch, maybe one of you will some day! (On an irrelevant note, Chapter 10 will actually be the 11th installment, due to the 7th being called "Chapter Z".)

Q. So... do I need to read these other 9 installments to know what's going on?: Absolutely not. All background information necessary to participate can be found in this thread. The lush backstory (2,320 pages, and we didn't start keeping track until nearly Chapter 5) should be inspiring, not daunting. Writing in a well established world gives the story a level of depth that I'm sure Suikoden fans can appreciate. For you Nanowrimo nuts, it's interesting to note that the average chapter (Chapter, not post Gil. :P) length is approximately 190,000 words.

Q. Where will this all take place?: Fuji is being awesome and setting up a forum on Suikox for it. Each new story entry will get its own thread, and these threads will be sorted to always appear in the right order, so don't worry about bumping them when you reply. I will post more information on this once the forum's up.

Q. I have more questions!: That isn't a question silly. ... erm, please, ask away! I will answer all questions and give you whatever information you need in order to make this get off the ground smoothly.

I leave you all with a conversation I had a while ago that elaborates on the planned story arch. Once again, your character does not need to get involved in it if you would rather write about something else within the larger IS universe, but this will be where the "interactive" portion really comes together. The main plot in this chapter focuses on the U.S., but the IS as a whole is very much a global tale.:

Quote:
[18:06] <Shad> It's pretty much open to anything you have in mind. You can create a normal character and just follow the main plot or devise a whole story of your own and tie it in however you want if you'd rather.
[18:10] <Shad> This chapter's going to pivot an army trying to unite the [United States] against a civilian militia aiming for independence, neither of which are necessarily 'bad guys'. A third party will be sort of masterminding the war from the sidelines, and they'll be who the main cast will ultimately end up fighting.
[18:13] <Shad> The main group, that is, my characters and those of the other former authors, aren't on either side to start out. Just as some suggestions, you could start your character as a fighter in either army or make him independent of them and hook up with the main cast any way you like, be it as a friend of a pre-established character or just a chance run-in.
[18:14] <Shad> The universe is pre-established from a collab that ran for a few years elsewhere, but the story in this one will be fairly independent since there are only a couple returning authors.
[18:16] <Shad> The setting is pretty much modern day earth.
[18:17] <Shad> A huge war about 12 years prior created a sort of post-apocalyptic setting, but at this point in the story most of the world has returned to normal. It's 2012 now, so technology's not really much more advanced than in reality.
[18:18] <Shad> The only difference is some highly trained people can use magic.
[18:18] <DA> and weapons besides guns are more commonly used because of a major fighting tournament that takes place.
[18:22] <Shad> Yeah, there's an annual fighting tournament in which projectile weapons are prohibited, so its become a lot more popular for people to train with traditional weapons.
[18:22] <Shad> The main armies in the story will use modern weapons. The distinct characters probably won't, because it is after all meant to be fun and you can be a lot more creative with a sword than a gun.
[18:22] <Rocky> okay, so there's no war going on, but a major military totalitarian state?
[18:25] <Shad> I wouldn't call it a totalitarian state, but more like a weakened democracy with a puppet government run by a big international corporation, which we should see the collapse of by the end of the chapter.
[18:27] <Shad> Most people in the country live just as we do today with the same rights and all, but tax money is being abused and there are a few isolated areas of the US that still haven't recovered from the major disaster of 12 years ago that left the country in ruin.
[18:29] <Shad> So the main plot will consist of a hired army trying to reclaim these renegade states, most of which would be better off as a result. The conflict will be when they come across a group that's actually better off independent. There's a controversial struggle etc, and when they're about to make peace, Mr. Corporation Running the Puppet Government [causes a large spoiler].
[18:31] <Shad> The main cast of good guys will fight this third party and subsequently end the war, the US will be reunited and return to what it is in reality, the chapter will end, happiness and joy.
[18:32] <Shad> It's worth noting that Japan and South Africa have become the two leading world powers since they were isolated from the incident 12 years ago and continued to grow while everyone else was recovering.
fuji

Potch
Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Weeeeee

A new forum is created. I look forward to reading your writings guys :)

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

Potch
Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm in. This is probably the only place where we can pretend that South Africa is a global power, so count me in.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Shad

Midnight

Potch
Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You heard the man! Fuji was kind enough to create a separate forum for this, so now the story posts can each get their own thread instead of getting all crammed together in one. Let's continue the discussion there: [url:2t5vptii]http://www.suikox.com/forum/viewtopic.php ?f=191&t=32310[/url:2t5vptii]

Last edited by Shad on Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

Potch
Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I MIGHT join in....if I'm not busy....

But in either case....I want to see how it'll be formatted out/how it starts out first before I say yes or no though....

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Advertisements & Fun Links All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: