Suikoden Utopian and Illegal Karma Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden IV...the black sheep of the family
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Icegryphon

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Suikoden IV...the black sheep of the family Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay, so before I begin I'll give a little background. I've been playing the Suikoden series since the day the first one came out on PSX and it has been my favorite video game series ever since.

I've beaten 1 and 2 multiple times, 3 once, and that's it. I got 4 when it came out but couldn't get into it and I think reading all the bad reviews biased me (something I regret immensely). I've played 5 but each time I do I get about 1/2-3/4 of the way through and then something comes up in my life that forces me to stop and by the time I have a chance to get back into it I would rather start the game over to re-live the things that are no longer fresh.

Anyway, i finally decided to pick up 4 and give it a full playthrough which I'm doing now (so please no spoilers). I've noticed something though...since it's not the most popular suikoden (understatement of the century), I find there are not many FAQs regarding it. I'm not talking about walkthroughs, I'm talking about the cool FAQs all the rest have. Like which characters are good and why. I obviously don't need these because I can figure it out easily myself, I just miss being able to read what other people think about the characters, or things/combos I hadn't thought of (and usually they're quite funny).

So yeah, what're your thoughts on Suikoden 4? Is it the worst like everyone says? Do you like it a lot? Just opening up some discussion on it I guess. forgive me if there's another topic about this, I couldn't find one.
SixWingedSin

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally, 3 is where they went astray with the overworld map and the 3 different mains trying to force you to play the game 3 (err 4) times to get the full picture. But the biggest issue I had with 4 is the oversea travel, even when it seems you're going to be ok... bam, now you have to do it again. I stopped playing Windwaker for the same reason, it's a lot of seeing the same thing and wasting time to create random battles. Other than that major issue, I found the game fine.
Icegryphon

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah there's more to it than that. I hate only having 4 people in your group with only 1 support person. the oversea travel is annoying as hell and only made slightly bearable once you get the mirror/viki.

I loved Suikoden 3 personally. I've found a lot of people didn't but I had very little bad to say about it.
SixWingedSin

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Icegryphon":dx0vmqsl]I loved Suikoden 3 personally. I've found a lot of people didn't but I had very little bad to say about it.

I have that quirky completionist personality where I need to do everything in a play through for 100% (if I find the game worthy), so Suiko3 was a kick in the balls for that personality of mine. :)
I forgot the 4 person vs 6, but that didn't impact me as much as it seemed to impact others.
Icegryphon

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It impacted me for many reasons
1) no short/mid/long players which is a great part of the battle in suikoden
2) Can't put weak magic users in the back row to stop them from getting hit so much
3) you have 108 freaking stars...6 is hardly enough in your party to make use of enough people to get a feel for all chars. 4 is insanely low.
4) only one support is super annoying. I always take cedric so he gets treasure, but I really want to be able to heal my guys after battle too.

Another thing i dislike about this game that i've found is no load or reset options. The only way to load is to actually reset the game by pushing the button on the PS2.
SixWingedSin

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Icegryphon":2esapuq5]It impacted me for many reasons
1) no short/mid/long players which is a great part of the battle in suikoden
2) Can't put weak magic users in the back row to stop them from getting hit so much
3) you have 108 freaking stars...6 is hardly enough in your party to make use of enough people to get a feel for all chars. 4 is insanely low.
4) only one support is super annoying. I always take cedric so he gets treasure, but I really want to be able to heal my guys after battle too.

Another thing i dislike about this game that i've found is no load or reset options. The only way to load is to actually reset the game by pushing the button on the PS2.

I was going to comment on a lot of this, but I would rather not get into a debate over changes in the series, though some of these I fully agree with (1&2, but it's the same issue anyway). But since basically Suikoden 3, they've been making changes to the mechanics here and there, some for the worse IMHO (which other people loved), so it'll all come down to opinions.
Icegryphon

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh i agree, they do add or take away here and there. And obviously 4 characters in the party instead of 6 was a mistake, because they rectified it in number 5.
Flamo Bringer

Flamo-chan

11929 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't mind with 4 actually...
Sure the features of the game such as the battle, the "4 people in a party in 1 support" may have been bothering a lot of you majority. But to me, as long as the game actually builds up and emphasises on the storyline that will be freakingly awesome at the end of the day, I don't mind at all.
My view however, may be a minority and unappreciated as much. Playing the Suikoden series to me is like a sequence that goes out of order in every series (except for 1-3 that is) but still, the way the story is conveyed and the relationship it has to other Suikoden series such as Suikoden Tactics builds up to my enjoyment of playing the series.
Besides Lazlo is one of the coolest character don't you agree? :D (in addition, the Rune of Punishment complements to it :P)
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, what killed 4 was the lack of any actual strategy in creating your parties. 5 showed exactly the way it should be done. Of course, its story wasn't anything special either. The only part that was really worth sparing any emotions over was one scene towards the end.

What I DID like about 4 was that you could level up your co-op attacks, and I would like to see them do that again.

As for 3, it's flawed world map didn't keep me from loving the hell out of the story, and putting the final boss at the top of every favorite characters/villains lists I ever run into.

6783 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't see Suiko4 as the worst game of the series. And I don' t really believe that there is such a thing as the worst suikoden game. We might criticized every game of the series but when we're playing it, all of them has this "suikoden feel" that makes them unique and good compared to other rpgs.

I'm thinking of trying to finish Suikoden 4 once again. I've finished it twice, Suiko3 also twice, Suiko5 2 times, Suiko 1 4 times, and suiko 2 seven times. What I miss about Suiko4 is net fishing. I also would want to see Lino En Kuldes and his Kingdom of Obel.
Icegryphon

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One thing that can definitely be said about Suiko 4 is it has an unfinished feel. There are a lot of things it looks like they either ran out of time or budget to finish. Certain areas will only have one room (see the pirate nest), or the fact that there is no end battle animation (just your guys standing there). Also the fact that there are no consecutive attacks or anything, that everyone just gets a certain amount of attacks and that's it, makes it so they had to take less time to balance combat (having only 4 characters goes towards that as well).

So far the story isn't really that spectacular but I am only about 17 hours through and so am expecting great things. I like the idea of the rune of punishment and have been told it's a kick ass story.

As far as saying there is no worst game in the suikoden series, I disagree. Everyone has their favorite and their least favorite. For me it's 2, 5/1, 3, 4 (haven't finished 4 or 5 or even played tactics...but can already tell with 4 and 5).
Icegryphon

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One thing i'll definitely give Suiko 4 is that the enemy design in battle is very good. Although there aren't many different types of enemies (something that also goes to my theory that the game was rushed), each enemy type is well done.
Icegryphon

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I just finished Suikoden 4. I definitely hold to the thought that they rushed it. There are a lot of things felt like "filler" that implies they got down to the deadline and went with what they had and added the "filler" in to make it longer.

However, it's a good game, I liked it. I liked the characters, I liked the story, I liked a lot of it. It's interesting skipping 4, going to 5, then going back to 4. Because it was a stepping stone and a lot of things in 5 came as a direct result of 4.

I definitely recommend it to anyone who likes Suikoden and hasn't played it yet. I also must say I like it the least of the 5 main suikodens (haven't played rhapsodia yet, and it's not one of the main ones anyway) but just because I like it less than the other 4 doesn't mean I don't like it.
Wolf Stew

Riders on the Storm

29081 Potch
43 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Suikoden IV...the black sheep of the family Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I didn't hate Suikoden 4, but it was easily the most simple game in the series (in terms of gameplay and story). Most of the characters were underdeveloped too.

Rhapsodia does a pretty good job of fleshing out Suikoden 4's story though, and fills in a lot of the gaps. I actually enjoyed Rhapsodia a lot more the Suikoden 4, and I found the gameplay quite challenging at times.
Icegryphon

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I started Rhapsodia and so far I'm pleased. It's fairly simplistic and "we don't know why we're doing this but let's do it" and the main charater (kyril's) voice acting is...fairly annoying. But I like the graphics and I love how you're only going to places you went in Suiko4, and the music's the same and all that . Super cool seeing the guys I just played with in Suiko4 in a tactical game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: