Suikoden Ugly and Infamous Kriegspiel Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Answers from Konami
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Vextor":155ite7v]Yeah, at this point I'm quite convinced that the fans (especially those here or Suikosource) know more about the Suikoden series as a whole than Konami, especially their development team!

Proof of this: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... i-Suikoden

I'm sorry, Sweekeden Tearchris?

And indeed Vex, your answer to #6 echoed my thoughts exactly.

56792 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm getting seriously miffed at some answers the more I look at them.

5: It's too early to tell if you're going to screw us over? What the hell? There's an if there, the question wasn't that difficult. A simple "Yes, we will update the webpage with the answers/release a new dictionary/we will do something" or "No, we will probably leave that." would have sufficed.

7: We didn't ask you to reveal their freaking histories, we just wanted to know if the timeline was correct or an error. How the hell could that be saying too much? And it "may become apparent"? Wow, that's reassuring. Thanks for not telling, since we know now that in 15 years or so you might deem us worthy to be told.

12: Sounds like I know more about PAL and NTSC than you do. And I don't know much of anything about it. I do know that very few TV's in Europe couldn't handle a NTSC signal, and those that can't can fix it via a RGB cable. What kind of a non-answer is this anyway?

We know it doesn't work to play them on a PAL PS2! That's the whole freaking point of converting the game. Are you saying that Suikoden III uses some sort of magic system that makes it impossible to convert to PAL? You're either an idiot or lying through your teeth.
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not defending Konami but what did you guys expect? I'm pleasantly surprised whoever answered these questions actually did it so fast, since it won't help them sell their new game and only a few hundred people will read it anyways (no offense to Suikox).

I agree it is a bit sad that odds are the majority of the people working on the Suikoden team for Konami now can careless about the history and facts for the series, since most of them were hired to just do the job they do for a living, but you can't blame them for not answering all of those questions about the future games or remake/rereleases.

In terms of all the question about future Suikoden games or returning things from the series' past, those answers are usually kept under wraps until the official facts come out just before the game is released, so I don't see why they would be at fault for not having any clear answers when the next game of the series isn't even announced...

The answer to all the remake/rereleases questions comes down to money, and if it is worth Konami's time to try to make that money. Yeah we all see that Suikoden II is worth a bunch online, and it may seem to us like there are chunks of money to be made by just putting out the early games again somehow, but we don't know all the costs and everything else it takes to do that, plus Suikoden is not popular enough that the demand is overwhelming. The first Suikoden was in demand, it came out on PSN, not much changed for most fans... It'd be nice if the early games are remade or rereleased, but it's not something that will dramatically improve our lives as Suikoden fans.

And I thought the answer to question 12 was quite honest and respectable: would releasing a 8 years old game on a console that's getting phased out make enough money to be worth the trouble? of course not, they didn't try to sugarcoat it and give us BS about how "that might be a possibility..." so what's the problem?
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah likewise the answers to me for #12 in general were bordering on "do you even know what 'why' means?" since it was never about a re-release, it was about why (oh there's that dreaded word again) was there an abnormality in an otherwise stable series, and cutting the smoke and daggers with "issues" or "problems" or "vague responses about the colour blue". Because really, if you can't answer a non game sensitive related question on an almost decade old game, then what are the chances of anything game sensitive being treated with any sort of seriousness or clarity?

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="jjrrs":2v1evvo1]And I thought the answer to question 12 was quite honest and respectable: would releasing a 8 years old game on a console that's getting phased out make enough money to be worth the trouble? of course not, they didn't try to sugarcoat it and give us BS about how "that might be a possibility..." so what's the problem?

The question was why Suikoden III wasn't released in PAL regions along with the NTSC releases and the answer they gave is "oh, it can only work on NTSC, sorry" which is really nonsensical. All of the other Suikoden games (including the four released after Suikoden III were released in PAL and, given that Suikoden III was actually planned for a PAL release before ultimately being cancelled, the games obviously can work in PAL. It might take some extra work, but it's more than possible that Suikoden III could be released as a PS3 title in PAL regions. If Nintendo can rework Zelda: Twilight Princess to utilize the Wii controller setup while retaining and releasing the original Gamecube version (both also released in PAL regions), surely Konami could work whatever magic is needed to make it happen. They certainly don't seem to have any problems re-releasing the older games for the Japanese audience, despite there being visible interest in the product outside of the region. If it's an issue of money, that's all they need to say instead of a cop-out non-answer.

Ironically, they give the "that might be a possibility" answer in regards to remaking even older installments of the series and whether or not the information regarding Crowley and Mazus' duel was a mistake or not. Furthermore, if the development team is unable (unwilling?) to advance the story as seen in Suikoden I through V, opting instead to focus on disconnected worlds, when would these "story developments" have the opportunity to unfold?

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Answers from Konami Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
The question was why Suikoden III wasn't released in PAL regions

Quote:
"do you even know what 'why' means?"

Okay, obvious we all agree on whoever is working on the series now don't care much about the Suikoden history or past games, so they certainly don't give a crap why that was the case almost a decade ago and not on their watch, right? For what they might have control of in the future, this person was just being clear when answering what he/she knows, which is alot better than some lie to please the fans.

Once again, what did everyone expect? No matter how good or bad the questions were, there was no way in hell we would have gotten some sort of great answer that was ground breaking and enlightening for everyone. Picking on what we don't like about their answers does nothing except get us more pissed and worked up, while doing so makes us seem like the unforgiving and ungrateful ones when they won't be replying to defend themselves.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It wasn't ALL BS.
Quote:

but we would like to resolve many of Suikoden’s mysteries.

I was worried that they only gave a shit about profits, and didn't give a crap about finishing. Still vague, but it's still a small ray of hope.

Creatures Once Godlike

11782640 Potch
18161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Answers from Konami Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="jjrrs":dgzv0hyn]Once again, what did everyone expect? No matter how good or bad the questions were, there was no way in hell we would have gotten some sort of great answer that was ground breaking and enlightening for everyone. Picking on what we don't like about their answers does nothing except get us more pissed and worked up, while doing so makes us seem like the unforgiving and ungrateful ones when they won't be replying to defend themselves.

It's this exactly. Someone else pointed out earlier that their vague answers to these questions also gives Konami an "out" in case they're criticized later for not caring about the Suikoden fandom, and I'd have to agree with that as well. It wouldn't be the first time it's happened.

Their answers had to be formulaic and political for PR reasons. They couldn't be straight with us simply because our expectations would have skyrocketed to an impossible degree. While I hate how evasive and uninformative their non-answers were, I can't really fault them for it. I'd be interested to see if any other gaming company has done this in the past with one of their series, whether it has a massive following like Final Fantasy or it's more of an underground thing, and what their answers may have looked like. I'd be willing to bet they were just as boring and ambiguous as Konami's were.

The Golden Mercenaries

5684336 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Answers from Konami Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Wolf Stew":dvd8yydn]Vextor, if Konami solicits questions from you in the future, I think you'd be completely justified in refusing to deal with them. A bunch of non-answers like these are a waste of everyone's time.

I wouldn't go that far. I am aggravated as well that we didn't get some of our questions answered, but these opportunities are just too good to pass up. A chance to actually interact with the development team is something that rarely ever comes around and we would be dumb to ignore any future requests for questions.

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So they might not continue the story and go with games in disconnected worlds.....

.....so who was it here that said they would hate to see the Suikoden Series turn into a Final Fantasy Series???

While those answers from Konami were to be expected I cannot hide the face that I am disappointed by them. I hope they read Vextors follow-up comments!
Wolf Stew

Riders on the Storm

29081 Potch
43 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Answers from Konami Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I understand that Konami can't reveal some information about the future of the Suikoden series, but they didn't have to be so guarded and corporate in their dealings with us fans, though. We're talking about a *game* here, not national security. You can have fun with a game, and you can have fun with the fans too.
Flamo Bringer

Flamo-chan

11929 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I suppose that if they do actually tell us, then we as fans wouldn't expect too much or wouldn't be amused by what the "new" things are that are going to be implemented in the new game then? Like for example, a new Suikoden installment may actually create another channel of storyline which *hopefully* they would expand on and somehow link it to the ones that have existed already.

@Wolf Stew
Whilst I agree with you, that it IS only a "game", if we as fans have revealed everything already, it wouldn't be fun to play the games that they created anymore now would it?
Cho

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Answers from Konami Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
In Suikoden Tierkreis, we wanted to focus on the “Infinity,” where we can look at many different Suikoden worlds, and develop a completely new story for each.

Congratulations. You have become a low-budget Final Fantasy. You have shed everything about Suikoden that sets it apart from every other shitty JRPG on the market, the continuity. I don't give a fuck about the infinity, or the Mark of the Stars, or anything else that was introduced in Tierkreis. I care about the story of the 27 True Runes of Heaven and Earth, Leknaat, the remaining undocumented runes, the mysteries and where they are headed.

This is like Tolkein writing Fellowship of the Rings and The Two Towers, only to decide he didn't feel like penning Return of the King and instead writing a jolly story about a bunch of elves and dwarves plundering for gold. In another world.

Fuck you for drawing me into an intricately designed world only to wipe your ass with it just to bring in 'new fans', Konami. I had hoped that the series would eventually get a proper ending, but abandoning the main storyline just to draw in new fans is showing me you'll either let the series die without a proper closure, or keep milking paralell worlds without ever providing a proper ending for anything.

Bastards.
Jossef

Beshennye Berserki

95809 Potch
200 Soldiers
23 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Question #7: In the official timeline, it says that Crowley and Mazus had a duel before when they're supposed to have been born. Did they reincarnate? What is the story behind this, or is it an error?
Konami: Other story developments, like this one, may become clear in the future.

Did anyone else hear Konami shaking their magic 8-ball in the background for that one?

On a more serious note, I'm with Barbarossa and am rather disappointed. No matter how much I expect them to avoid answering anything, I still like to believe they would have had it in them just to set things straight.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Answers from Konami Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Synchysi":1b4m67c0][quote="jjrrs":1b4m67c0] Once again, what did everyone expect? No matter how good or bad the questions were, there was no way in hell we would have gotten some sort of great answer that was ground breaking and enlightening for everyone. Picking on what we don't like about their answers does nothing except get us more pissed and worked up, while doing so makes us seem like the unforgiving and ungrateful ones when they won't be replying to defend themselves.

It's this exactly. Someone else pointed out earlier that their vague answers to these questions also gives Konami an "out" in case they're criticized later for not caring about the Suikoden fandom, and I'd have to agree with that as well. It wouldn't be the first time it's happened.

Their answers had to be formulaic and political for PR reasons. They couldn't be straight with us simply because our expectations would have skyrocketed to an impossible degree. While I hate how evasive and uninformative their non-answers were, I can't really fault them for it. I'd be interested to see if any other gaming company has done this in the past with one of their series, whether it has a massive following like Final Fantasy or it's more of an underground thing, and what their answers may have looked like. I'd be willing to bet they were just as boring and ambiguous as Konami's were.

Actually Masahiro Sakurai, the designer of the Smash Brothers series had a questionaire thing similar to this, and actually gave several decent answers into the development of Brawl, back in 2006. Some of his comments were vague, and he didn't give any outright answers as to which characters would be included, but he said several things that were revealed to be true when the game was actually released.

So it's not that this can't be done right, it's just that Konami really doesn't seem to care at this point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: