Suikoden Ugly and Informational Kriegspiel Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Imperfect Playthroughs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Imperfect Playthroughs Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've been replaying the Suikoden games recently and I've realised that I'm totally incapable of allowing myself to mess things up and have less than perfect saves. I've never finished a Suikoden game without the full 108 stars, I've restarted Suikoden II from the beginning twice after realising I'd missed recruiting Futch and Humphrey in time (slow learner :P). I've done the whole run away scene in Suikoden II, but I can't bring myself to continue playing knowing that an S.O.D has died. I've never recruited Rulodia and Chuchara either. And in Suikoden IV I can't allow myself to execute Snowe even though I REALLY REALLY want to. Somewhere along the line I've become a perfectionist when it comes to the Suikoden games, and striving for perfection has never been something I've done. On one hand I do get some pleasure out of knowing I've completed a game entirely but I also wonder whether I'm perhaps hampering my enjoyment of the games by not doing things like playing through with Boris or Rulodia.

Anyone else find they have the same problem?
Sialeeds

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think you should play your first playthrough, without any help of faqs or whatever. If you don't get all stars thats ok. When I played 3 I finished it the first time with 104 characters. I never understood how to recruit Billy, so of course I could't recruit the knights either. When I played Suikoden IV I missed also several characters like Millay, a mermaid and Travis. When I played V for the first time, unfortunately the only character I missed was Killey. This gives me a huge desire to play it again and find all stars, even with a strategy guide. So I think I have the same problem. Now I can easily beat all the games with all stars without help, and I always have to finish it with all of them. ;)
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I do what Sialeeds say: play my firsts without a handy guide or even the desire to score a perfect 108. Otherwise, I'd have less reasons to replay a game.

It gets harder in subsequent playthroughs, I have to admit.

Suikoden II is infamous for being unique though, as I stopped being bothered by perfection. I've only done Clive's sidequest and a complete collection of the flying squirrels once (in separate runthoughs), and I have no intention whatsoever to repeat them. In a way, my Suikoden II games have always been imperfect.

I don't have that much time to waste, please.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah, but as Clive's side quest needs you to clear the game quickly, surely you would save time by doing it. :P

I hate having an imperfect file in any RPG but I don't use guides or FAQs on my first play through. I just save over it so my shame never existed later on.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sialeeds wrote:
I think you should play your first playthrough, without any help of faqs or whatever. If you don't get all stars thats ok.

See for me not getting all the stars isn't okay at all. I don't use walkthroughs on my first playthrough but I usually have multiple saves that I can load later if I find I missed a character (especially the case with Suikoden V where I played it through before there was anything even close to resembling a guide), plus I tend to be pretty thorough in checking for characters and usually end up with a lot of hours on the clock.
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I used to aim for perfect games in everything I played, but I found I was focusing on getting every last item and talking to every last person in every town that I was rendering an otherwise entertaining game utterly tedious and taxing. In the rare times I do play games these days it's usually just a straight plow through for the story. Games that took me 100+ hours before I can finish in 20.

Actually, I have a 200+ hour Suikoden II endgame save and a 9 hour Suikoden II endgame save. It (and the other Suikoden games) are the grand exception to the rule. I play through each of them at least twice - once on my own for fun and then once with a guide to make sure I get all 108 and such. In the case of Suikoden II I played through about six times to witness every possible scenario, ranging from recruiting no optional characters whatsoever to getting 108 and Clive's quest in under 10 hours.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't try to be "perfect" on the first few playthroughs, but yes I'm like that in the way I like to have everything on a save slot for most games.
Overdose

Space Monkey Punks From Japan

349252 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I always have a straight play through first and try to get all 108 stars, the only game i managed this was suikoden II, in suikoden I i managed to not get all of them ( i missed Fuma, Sonya and Clive as well as a few others). II I found it easier to not miss people, it was a matter of remembering where they are. Suikoden 5 on the other hand in my first time through i didnt get all the stars, it must be impossible to get them all without a guide in all honesty unless you are incredibly lucky, there are so many you can just miss totally.

FOREVER X!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Imperfect Playthroughs Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hawk Thanatos wrote:
And in Suikoden IV I can't allow myself to execute Snowe even though I REALLY REALLY want to.

Save just before that point in the storyline, you'll lose about 5-10mins of gameplay at max, but he squeals like a little bitch and it's quite rewarding to actually do it at least once because of his shitty shitness! Then reload after you have that out of your system and be nice and recruit him. :D

As for perfect saves, only slightly. Usually I spend enough time exhausting options to get 108 stars in the first playthrough (for instance I was only missing Crowley in I and spent a fair amount of time going through the cave hugging the edges hoping for a secret path until my sister who was watching me noticed something "pink and pretty", II I noticed that Riou faces the screen in 3 sections of the banner pass leading me to believe that since it's a forced face there's a path there leading to somewhere, shit like that) and I often make a note down of everyone with a portrait in the games so I don't miss anyone. Sidequest wise, I've actually done the time based quests (for instance Clive & Elza, with the squirrels) so with said lists I can pretty much gun through a game no problem and only have to look at my own on the spot guides when my memory fails me. I don't strive for perfection persay since I find it ruins the fun of the game and what it is trying to deliever by way of entertainment if you're worrying about or getting frustrated at Clives random appearance in I for instance.

Overdose wrote:
( i missed Fuma, Sonya and Clive as well as a few others)

Haha, don't let John see this, Fuma is awesome ninja with awesome ninja powahs! :P

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How exactly does one miss the flaming red ninja in the field of beige and gray?

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have the same problem with you, Hawk. In most (if not all) of the games I play, I try to play a perfect game on my first run. I sometimes even have to resort to looking up to walkthroughs or guides just to make sure that everything I do is correct. This sometimes results to me spoiling the game for myself. I don't have a problem with it though. Most of the time, I still enjoy the games I play. Unless the game really sucks, that is.
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ryusei wrote:
I have the same problem with you, Hawk.

You have a problem with me? I'm hurt. :P

eXistence of Fly wrote:
Hawk Thanatos wrote:
And in Suikoden IV I can't allow myself to execute Snowe even though I REALLY REALLY want to.

Save just before that point in the storyline, you'll lose about 5-10mins of gameplay at max, but he squeals like a little bitch and it's quite rewarding to actually do it at least once because of his shitty shitness! Then reload after you have that out of your system and be nice and recruit him. :D

I might just do that. :)
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I always try to get all the stars, even on my first run-through. Suikoden's enjoyable enough that it doesn't need an extra incentive for me to play again.

But I have been wanting to try running through Suikoden I and try not getting any optional stars at all. I just want to see how much harder it gets.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Imperfect Playthroughs Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hawk Thanatos wrote:

Nope. I'm perfectly content with not being perfect in many respects (items, recipes, etc I care not for). I'll just try again later for important things like getting all 108 if I miss some.

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Imperfect Playthroughs Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sage wrote:
Hawk Thanatos wrote:

Nope. I'm perfectly content with not being perfect in many respects (items, recipes, etc I care not for). I'll just try again later for important things like getting all 108 if I miss some.

But can you say you've truly lived until you've gotten the Sandwich recipe? Or found that treasure chest with your 100th Medicine inside? Or gotten Freed Y's weapon to level 16?! :P
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: