Suikoden United and Irrational Kibbutz Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden Featured in Play Magazine

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Suikoden Featured in Play Magazine Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thought I'd mention that the Suikoden Series was featured in the retro section of Play Magazine (March 2009). The article is a full page and is written by Casey Loe. I thought it deserved special mention because, aside from game reviews (which generally don't garner full pages in magazines anyways) or one line blurbs, the Suikoden series doesn't receive much media love. It doesn't contain any information that a seasoned fan of the series wouldn't already know, but after reading it I can tell that Mr. Loe is indeed a big Suikoden fan and knows his stuff.

The article serves mostly as a vehicle to get the word out about Suikoden I and II being out on PSN and also as a reminiscence of the series. He speaks briefly on the general flow of the series from Suikoden I to Suikoden Tierkreis, talking about things like creator Yoshitaka Murayama's involvement and subsequent divorce from the series and some of the changes and differences each entry brought. There's also a subsection touting the various original soundtracks of the first two games and the gaidens, which I've got to say the fact that he took the time to talk about how great the music has been over the years earns him major brownie points in my book.

Overall, its a well written and accurate article that illuminates exactly why most of us love the series so; hopefully it will inspire a new generation of Suikoden fans to play the earlier games through PSN and get involved with the series in general.

[size=70:26f3qfyo]--I'll refrain from posting a scan of the article itself. I've no idea if its even legal to post it or not, but my heart tells me its wrong to post the work of someone when said work costs money. If you want to read it I guess you'll just have to buy a copy of the magazine!

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Raww Le Klueze

56792 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
II being out on PSN

It is?
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow I haven't bought a copy of Play in years, like since Final Fantasy VIII. Its good to hear a full page is being devoted to Suikoden, it's these kinds of things that inspire gamers to go retro and have a look at what the fuss was about.
rstrack89

52707 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Suikoden Featured in Play Magazine Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually II hasn't yet been released on PSN just yet, I read this and ran in my room to check, but I'm sure it will be, and when it does I think everyone here that has a PS3 should all honestly band together and buy it. I think it would be absolutely amazing to see Suikoden at the top of the download charts, and an unbelievable accomplishment. Anyone that's played either of those games know that they are true masterpieces and if your any RPG fan at all then you know em like the back of your hand.

I actually just finished playing I about twenty minutes ago, I own a copy of it, but not II so I used an ISO so I could get to play II with the extra stuff. It's been years since I've played it and just watching the opening scene gets me ridiculously hyped up.

On another note though, how long did it take everyone to finish these games? I just clocked in at about 21 and 1/2 hours with all hundred and eight for I and I'll post again for when I get done with II.

Oh, and I know its a little cheap to use an ISO, but I fully intend to buy II when it comes out on PSN and eventually I'm going to buy a copy of it off Ebay unless I'm extremely lucky and happen to find it at a different store. $150+ is a little steep for me right now though lol.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My apologies, the text of Mr. Loe's article reads "Suikoden II should also be out on PSN by the time you read this." It appears either he is mistaken or Konami has delayed a release of Suikoden II on PSN.

Quote:
On another note though, how long did it take everyone to finish these games? I just clocked in at about 21 and 1/2 hours with all hundred and eight for I and I'll post again for when I get done with II.

My game time on the first two games usually runs between 30 and 40 hours, with the first game being shorter than the second obviously. Of course I always get all 108 stars (what kind of monster would choose to leave Gremio and Nanami/Jowy to their horrible fates, honesty?), but I generally tend to take longer than most people I guess. I've never been able to do the Clive subquest in Suikoden II because of this; in fact, I've never even tried it!

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

rstrack89

52707 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Suikoden Featured in Play Magazine Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lol yeah, I tried the side quest once but only got like the first two parts and after that it just felt like I was trying to rush though so I could see it, and I usually like to take my time too.

One big thing I do when I play is to get as much money as possible and get the best equip and weapon sharpness and then i usually tank my way through and at the end I level everyone up as high as possible without investing an hour just to get a level, but on this last time I actually used Crowley without much extra training on Barbossa and with him it took like nothing. I was actually really shocked lol.

I really hope they release II on PSN, I remember when I first got my PS3 that was the first thing I checked out and was gonna be the only reason I would add money to download anything, that is until I got hooked on Rock Band :roll: lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: