Suikoden United and Irrational Keystone Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Tierkreis Reviews
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Tierkreis Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Off topic, I still want to hear your evidence for why you think this is the norm now, as everything I've heard says that this was a spin-off.

On topic, first review posted at GameFAQs gave it a 9/10, and I think the review was dead on.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/review/R132882.html

56792 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3171794&p=39

Quote:
Suikoden: Tierkreis is the dawn of the new Suikoden series

Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's a pretty old interview, but you quoted pretty selectively. There is no definitive evidence that they will not return to the original world, in fact, as it says later in that interview:

Quote:
However, it hasn't been decided yet to keep Tierkreis' world as the permanent setting, as we'd love the future opportunity to revisit the previous games' wonderful settings.

No reason to get angry just yet. If they were to announce that there were no plans to create another Suikoden set in the same world as previous titles, then you'd have reason for anger. As of now, however, they haven't stated that. This pessimism is starting to frustrate me.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

From what I've experienced so far (I'm a little over 8 hours in), the voice acting is fantastic in this game! The only issue is, as many of these reviews have mentioned, the occasional speedy dialogue with some characters and the almost constant too-fast speaking of the hero. Had Konami just stick with a silent hero (because this one can be kind of obnoxious and cliche anyway), I think this would've been some of the best voice acting on the DS and in the series. Like you said jjrrs, the hero's fast talking is not enough of a reason to say the game has bad voice acting (his acting is fine, as is everyone else's).

And the complaint about the online is also laughable. I just got online play, and I feel like I'm still very early in the game. Pokemon didn't let you go online for a while either, but didn't seen anyone complaining there :-/.

Oh well, it's still a pretty good review, and I usually ignore numerical scores anyway.

56792 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Gil-galad":2ucbzq01]There is no definitive evidence that they will not return to the original world, in fact, as it says later in that interview:

Key words "We'd love to" not "We're going to". Huge difference.

If Tierkreis is a success you'd have to be dumber than the average fencepost to think they'd ever go back to the original setting once they get irrefutable proof they can net a bigger profit by staying away from it.

[quote="Gil-galad":2ucbzq01]If they were to announce that there were no plans to create another Suikoden set in the same world as previous titles, then you'd have reason for anger.

Great plan. Let's wait till it's too late to voice your disconsent. Brilliant.

Quote:
This pessimism is starting to frustrate me.

Replace pessimism with stupidity and welcome to my world.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

At the risk of getting way off topic, I'd like to voice my displeasure with being called stupid. Careful with what you say, please. I don't really care if you're angry that they decided to make a new Suikoden game that doesn't fit to your specific interest or standard, but that doesn't really give you the right to compare me to a fence post. Pretty uncalled for. If you're willing to be a bit less offensive with me, maybe we could continue this discussion in a thread where it isn't so off topic (you are welcome to create one), but until then, let's just leave it end here.

I just purchased Tierkreis, and so far I pretty much agree with the IGN review. Granted, I'm only about 1 hour in.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
At the risk of getting way off topic, I'd like to voice my displeasure with being called stupid. Careful with what you say, please.

This isn't anything new for him, he's flamed and trolled in nearly every post I've seen of his, so I wouldn't take it personally. He's also derailed nearly every thread in this same fashion. Just put him on ignore (guess it's called "foes list" now) and leave the rest to the mods.

As for the article, all that it told me was that they aren't willing to talk about it yet. Nearly everything he said included the phrase "It hasn't been decided yet" or a similar non-committal phrase. Dunno why you're jumping to the conclusion that outrages you the most - at the very closest to what you're saying, they'd split it off into two series, with a Suikoden VI and a Suikoden Tierkreis 2. However, you are indeed right that we need to make our voices heard on this, just in case. But calling people on an online forum stupid isn't one of the ways of doing that.

Quote:
From what I've experienced so far (I'm a little over 8 hours in), the voice acting is fantastic in this game! The only issue is, as many of these reviews have mentioned, the occasional speedy dialogue with some characters and the almost constant too-fast speaking of the hero. Had Konami just stick with a silent hero (because this one can be kind of obnoxious and cliche anyway), I think this would've been some of the best voice acting on the DS and in the series. Like you said jjrrs, the hero's fast talking is not enough of a reason to say the game has bad voice acting (his acting is fine, as is everyone else's).

You kidding? I love the main character's voice acting - his speedy dialogue works perfectly with him as a character quirk.

The music, too, is incredible. Definitely agree with the review I posted that 10/10 isnt high enough for sound in this game.

And I honestly hate the whole silent hero thing, because while the idea is noble - you fill in what the character would say - it never works. Even if you've made a brilliant personality for your character, the other characters can't react to this, nor can it drive the story the way that a main character with a pre-made personality can, and it really kills the mood and frustrates me.

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

At first I thought that the voice acting was so corny, that it was kind of cute. Now it's starting to get on my nerves a bit. The speedy talking is part of it, for sure. That, and all the characters are more or less monotone. I mean, if the main character is going to talk quickly he needs to sound more excited when he does it. ;) However, I don't think they're nearly as bad as people initially made them out to be. There are definitely worse video game acting jobs out there.

Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I got a copy of the game sent from Konami, and have been playing it for the past two days.
So far I'm impressed with the game.
Darkbeat

Location: The school of making funny locations for my forum profile
102756 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Tierkreis Reviews Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The voice acting is amusing, though really 'Hero' is the only unbearable one. I wonder if it's a glitch or if he really is supposed to talklikethis. That aside, the others seem fine and actually, Tierkreis has a really strong cast (as of 5-6 hours playing).

While I definately would have prefered the standard Suiko-verse setting, I'm enjoying Tierkreis alot. The characters, as I said, are deep and likeable. The score is tremendous for a DS game and I know I won't be the only one to have an order in for the OST if/when it's released. The battles are fast-paced, perhaps a little too frequent, but we are used to that after Suikoden V anyway.

Obviously it has it's downsides, but, in and of itself Tierkreis is an impressive and enjoyable game that I would hope the Suikoden community would get behind and promote so it serves as a springboard for the continuity of the series.
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="poorguy171":cbwd0qa2]Had Konami just stick with a silent hero (because this one can be kind of obnoxious and cliche anyway), I think this would've been some of the best voice acting on the DS and in the series.

What?! Tierkreis' hero is awesome! Sure he starts off as pretty cliche but he actually becomes a good leader later on.
poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm now about halfway through the game and the hero has gotten a little bit better as a leader, but he's still got too much of the cliche "energetic teenage hero who is always positive and never gives up" too him. There's just nothing to distinguish him from the protagonist of every other JRPG out there. I'm not saying he's a bad character, I've just seen his type too often before. Even though the previous Suikoden heroes have been fairly cliche themselves, there's usually something more to them. Hopefully he'll keep getting better though and he'll distinguish himself by the end of the game!

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Vextor":39ijkpxs]I got a copy of the game sent from Konami, and have been playing it for the past two days.
So far I'm impressed with the game.
pray tell...was it the english or Japanese version they sent ya?
...out of curiosity :wink:

back to the though......if I put aside the fact I had tried the Japanese version beforehand...(cuz I'm very biased in favor of the Japanese version)
...English vers Tierkreis is a good game...save for random spelling errors....but yeah....the Hero's dialogue was way too sped up and it lacked "feeling" to it sometimes......it's hard to connect yourself to the Hero's personality/hardships/etc sometimes because he talks like a robot on fast-forward.....

I just tried wi-fi a little bit now too (didn't try it in the Japanese version)
It's a fun little thing as much as I've tried of it.......but I wish there was maybe.....something more to it....like a little more control to send people t friends...or resend them back to places they've been...
well I guess I sound a bit vague to those who haven't tried it....

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I got the US version. I'd like to get a Japanese version on my own though.
poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The hero's voice acting really does improve as the game progresses. I'm pretty far in now, and his speed-talking lines are getting more and more rare. I'm still planning on getting the Japanese version though. I hope Konami still has some of the limited editions in stock :D.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Tierkreis Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: