Suikoden Ugly and Irrational Karma Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Tierkreis Reviews
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Tierkreis Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:07 am    Post subject: Tierkreis Reviews Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Awesome start from the major games review sites, after the weak early review of 7 from nintendo power(nobody reads that anyways) ign gave it 8.8: http://ds.ign.com/articles/963/963533p1.html
which means it is:
-the best Suikoden review from ign since III by over half a point
-better than the new DS Valkyrie Profile
-only higher rated 3rd party original DS rpgs are The World Ends with You (hardly a traditional rpg) & FF:Tactics A2 (was it totally original? it's pure tactical, and was torched by many other critics)
-the highest rated tranditional turn base DS rpg(non-remake) ever on ign!?

The weaker aspect of the game is said to be gameplay because: "Many of the things that make Suikoden great aren’t here. On its own merits, the game is well designed, though fairly basic in battle mechanic, equipment, and magic. Simple, but fun." Which is what everyone already know, I still have my doubts to be able to overlook those things when playing the game, but I'm very glad for the series to finally get some love since III was released 6 & 1/2 years ago.
Oppenheimer

Les monsieurs de Narcisse

256470 Potch
0 Soldiers
1865 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm curious if the supposed huge fan of the series Mark Bozon, who wrote the article, is a member here.

Basically, he keeps saying they dumbed it down for the little kids who play the DS. And yet somehow he still gives it an 8.8? It's a very confusing review. The only thing that he seems to be very positive about is that it's pretty.

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Despite the 4 character battle system and the absence of runes I'm enjoying this game immensely. I'm not too far into it
[spoiler:3mokn30o]Currently finding the necklaces for the Porpos.[/spoiler:3mokn30o]
but the story is pretty good so far, and I actually like a lot of the characters, the hero, Jale and Liu, in particular. I think it's worthy of an 8.8.
Djungelurban

145425 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There's only one review that I care about... That's the one that hopefully Vextor/SARS/Blue Moon/Our-Very-Own-Almighty-Suikoden-Guru-Extraordinaire is gonna whip up eventually I hope. Historically, his reviews has reflected my opinions of the games very closely even down to specific details and thus is the only one I trust when it comes to Suikoden reviews cause he reviews it from the POV of a die hard Suikoden fan which is what I need.

And to be honest, I'm not sure if I'm all that happy about Tierkreis getting that good a score on IGN since I don't agree with the chosen direction of the series. And since review scores this are kinda reassuring Konami in their decision I have a hard time seeing the scores as something positive. However, I will withhold final judgement whether I like these good scores or not until after previously mentioned review is wrapped up and posted. For now though it bugs me...
Felipe

Intelligent Turtle

584845 Potch
1200 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you think about Suikoden Tierkreis without thinking about the other Suikoden games so far, then I think it deserves the 8.8. It's a great game, good graphics, great soundtrack, simple but fun gameplay and a consistent story. It's a DS game, and I think most of the DS gamers are kids, so you can't really go for the adult public if you are producing a game for the DS system. It misses some of the best points of Suikoden, like the 3 types of battles and a more "adult" story but they need Suikoden do "stay alive" so nothing better than a game with fits the profile of it's buyers.
I guess most of the people will hope for a "Suikoden Tierkeis 2" because they don't even know about the other ones, but at least the series will continue to exist.

56792 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Felipe":s9o20eu4]but at least the series will continue to exist.

Explain to me what the point is of the series staying alive if it becomes another FF-clone with subpar story and gameplay with nothing to connect it to original? It might as well be dead, unless you're so simple minded that all you ever cared about were the 108 characters in which case you might as well play KOEI's games rather than support raping this series.
Felipe

Intelligent Turtle

584845 Potch
1200 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was trying to show the way I think the producers thought about it, they need Suikoden to stay alive, so it's okay for then to don't follow the story if this is what it takes for the series to continue alive, and they continue with their jobs.

As for me, I prefer to have it alive so we can have the (maybe false) hope that the game will someday go back to the original plot over don't have any Suikoden games at all to play. And we can't be sure that the game will become another FF-clone, it can be possible for the series to "start again" from Suikoden Tierkeis. It's not what I would prefer, I would like to know more about the original story and all of the unanswered questions. But if thei're asking us for "a second chance" with this new "infinity" stuff, I think it's better than no story at all. In both ways (no more original plot related games and no games at all) we would be left with no anwsers, it's better to at least have new questions with a new game.

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am seriously not saying this to anyone in particular since lots of people seems to talk that way, but can we please stop the "Suikoden need to do/change this & that in order to continue..." line of statements? We don't work for Konami, but even if we did I'm sure we'll have no control of what games are released, so what's the point talking about making sacrifices to something we love, when it won't make things better? Especially when Suikoden is not in any danger of being canceled for being a failed series.

Unless someone can prove to me with the official records of development, production, marketing... and all other costs it took to put out certain Konami games, no one can say for sure that Suikoden is any less profitable for the company world wide than other more established Konami series like Castlevainia. What we do know is that Suikoden does sell very well in japan, and the release of Tierkreis indicates that Konami is committed to the Suikoden brand, while positive response from the critics and public shows the signs of a quality product. So lets not talk about giving up on the things that made Suikoden great just to keep the series alive, when nothing is going wrong.
Raww Le Klueze

56792 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Felipe":36fjjabs]I was trying to show the way I think the producers thought about it, they need Suikoden to stay alive

No they don't. They don't need Suikoden for anything, it doesn't make money. They can just as well start a new franchise.

Quote:
And we can't be sure that the game will become another FF-clone

We know Tierkreis is one, we know Tierkreis is the dawn of the new Suikoden series. Simple math.

Quote:
But if thei're asking us for "a second chance" with this new "infinity" stuff, I think it's better than no story at all.

And what happens when the next director picks up and he also decides that "Wah! Wah! Continuity is hard! Let's ditch it!" like Komuta did?
Felipe

Intelligent Turtle

584845 Potch
1200 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So what you're saying? It's better to stop making Suikoden games if it's not related to the original plot?

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

All right, what the hell? Suikoden is not going to stop being made, so can people stop saying it as if they know that for a fact, or somehow only their ideas will prevent it?

I'm not a fan of the new universe thing in Tierkreis and I'd rather it not happen again, but lets just be happy for the series on a good new game for now.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
We know Tierkreis is one, we know Tierkreis is the dawn of the new Suikoden series. Simple math.

Where are you getting this?

145425 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Felipe":10z3lwtj]So what you're saying? It's better to stop making Suikoden games if it's not related to the original plot?

Yes, that's exactly how it is. If it's not connected to the world we know or atleast if the story can't reach the level of sophistication that we've come to expect then Suikoden becomes nothing but a brand name. I love the GAMES, that's the only thing that matters and it the games gets turned into something else then why should I care about the name Suikoden? Why should I play that game over any random Wild ARMs or Tales title? Whatever was unique about the Suikoden series will be gone and the only thing left is a name. A name that has lost whatever meaning it once had...
Raww Le Klueze

56792 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Felipe":w7g3d60x]So what you're saying? It's better to stop making Suikoden games if it's not related to the original plot?

Yes. Unless your only reason for playing is the 108 stars that should be anyone's stand.

I've invested 10 years in this series, I'd rather see it die off graciously than turn FF-trite and spend 5 years on that and have them flush that down the toilet again.

Last edited by Raww Le Klueze on Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:26 am; edited 2 times in total
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Come on guys, even if the different universe thing becomes the norm in future Suikoden games, lets not jump off the cliff right away either. Surely not everyone's already finished with Tierkreis, lets give it some time.

By the way, gamespot reviewed it and gave Tierkreis 7.5: http://www.gamespot.com/ds/rpg/gensousu ... eview.html

I'd think it would have scored slightly higher if the site haven't gone to the 0.5 grade increment system since V was reviewed, but certainly not above V, though the negatives the reviewer gave seems quite harsh. Just because some of the characters (mostly the main character) talks fast at times, it doesn't mean the entire games has bad voice acting, and since 95% of DS games don't have much online support to speak of, ragging on this game's online features is just picky. Also I guess this guy isn't really a big Suikoden fan anyways if he still has a problem with the game's difficulty, he might want to get in the line to complain about it that formed 13 years ago... with those things being the only "problems", the game deserves much more than a 7.5. gamespot seems to never give the low profile games much love these days, but at least they didn't kiss square's ass and gave Valkyrie Profile a much lower grade.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Tierkreis Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: