Suikoden Uncanny and Infamous Keystone Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Voice Acting
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Tierkreis Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Voice Acting Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Every preview of the game in English has stated that the voice acting is overall very weak, particularly for the main characters. And from the handful of gameplay videos I've seen, I would agree entirely (although some of the side characters sound pretty decent). With all the promotion for the Japanese voice acting, however, as well as from what I've heard in the trailer, it doesn't sound nearly as bad.

To those who've played the Japanese version (or better yet, those who actually understand Japanese), what is your opinion of the voice acting? I would be extremely disappointed if they only screwed up the VA in the English version, after IV and V turned out so well (even Tactics sounded better than this, and it had its own share of voicing issues). I've been considering getting the Japanese version, but if there really is a huge difference in voicing quality, I may get it after all even if I can't really understand it.

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A big factor in my decision to pick up the Japanese version is that I was pretty sure the original VA would be much better than any pick of voices the English version would spit out.
(Though I haven't seen any english trailers that have alot of voice acting yet....)

....on top of that I'm 80% sure the English version of the OP sequence will probably have no lyrics to it.....which is a bummer considering it's a pretty nice song....

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jowy220

Location: highland royal plaza (sleeping in the bed with jilia)
0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i'm playing the japanese version (but i don't understand japanese)but i really like the voice acting and i have seen a trailer of the english version, and the voice of the characters and i didn't really liked the voices,and there is something about the voice acting in other things then games ,like anime ,i have watched naruto in japanese and it's really good(for the voice), adn i have watched the english version and i said i won't watch it i will watch only japanese, but i will get the suikoden tierkries english version just to understand what happens in the game only
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah...I forgot to mention I'm not fluent in Japanese as well

.....although constantly watching anime subs apparently trained my ears to pick up something...as I'm not totally completely in the dark about what they're saying (when they're talking that is....versus when there is no voice acting...)
[size=85:1ja47i6z]and I guess my mandarin fluency did help me a little bit...through none spoken parts....a little....but that's kinda going off on a tangent...

I say though...if you have the means of getting it...go ahead and get it. Not only will you have the original product with original voice acting and anything else that localization cuts out [which hopefully isn't much...]
The 'original' as it was meant to be.....

But you can probably send characters between your english and Japanese copies.....if you have access to another DS I guess........
(well...I'm assuming it will work...
I mean....global trading between Pokemon games worked...don't see why this shouldn't work....)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Finally got the english version and there is one more BIG thing I wanted to point out relating to voices.....

characters are supposed to verbally talk while in-battle.....(ie: say stuff when they do a combo or grunt in pain when getting hit by attacks, Say stuff at the end of battle, say things when they're knocked unconscious etc)

Those "sound-effects" are all absent in the localized version (at least the english track)...not just the SoDs...but any non-monster enemy charas as well
...takes away alot of the "fun" from the battles if you ask me.........

Travito

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really only have a problem with the main character, he talks ninty miles a minute and it takes away from the story
jowy220

Location: highland royal plaza (sleeping in the bed with jilia)
0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yeah the battle voice have been deleted,and that's too bad,cause it really was great having battle voice in the Japanese version,but now after playing it i got used to the voices of the characters that i forgot the Japanese voices,and after all it's not that bad
MiKeMiTchi

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I didn't had any problem with the hero after 10+ hours past in the game.
He had the "TALK SLOWER" mark of the star. :D

The only problem here is the LACK of IN-BATTLE voices.
That makes the JP version better in battles.

I wish there will be a patch on this.
poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can't believe they took those out!!! I was just thinking the other day how great it would've been to have thrown in voices during battles. Well, I guess this means that I'm going to get the Japanese version for sure after all. Ugh, Konami really dropped the ball with this English release. Funky name pronunciation, speed-talking issues, removing the vocal songs, horrendous game manual (not even in color), and not the lack of battle voices. It just keeps getting worse and worse...

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah...they did do a pretty low-Q job at localization...
I found a handful of grammer issues as well (and I'm not talking about the fact the spoken dialogue doesn't match and/or skips words in the written dialogue....the Japanese version did a VERY tiny bit of that as well, as far as I can tell)

I mean it had stuff like "It escaped" when it's supposed to be referring to yourself, etc.
[How the heck could they have missed that??]

...........I pity everyone who will never get a chance to try the original........

SixWingedSin

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

@Ikano
I thought that the previous Suikoden games also did it where if you were a certain amount of levels over the creature, it was assumed that they where running, hence the 'it escaped'. Don't know if that's true in this, as I never ran at the lower levels, only when it became a pain to fight later on in the game.
Oppenheimer

Les monsieurs de Narcisse

256470 Potch
0 Soldiers
1865 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes I already found a rather blantant typo/spelling error in the text. Plus, the sped up voice acting and the removal from the battles made me wonder if they were running out of room on the cartirdge. But you'd think it'd be roughly equivalent to have the english and japanese voices take up the same amount of space?

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Oppenheimer":30a5nv1x]But you'd think it'd be roughly equivalent to have the english and japanese voices take up the same amount of space?
My (US) version let my choose between 3 different languages in the beginning....which has me to believe that there are 3 different language tracks in the cartridge.

Even though it's good that they did that...........I still think it was a seriously bad decision on their part if had to make em cut other stuff.........
They should've made a multi-language version and just an English version in my opinion....(heck why were the EU and US release dates different if they both have the multi-language thing/seem exactly the same anyway?!)

@SixWingedSin : oh no. I've run away from weak monsters just cuz they don't give me enough exp that my time isn't worth it and it still says "It has escaped." It's DEFINITELY a typo.

There were other typos too....but the battle one is the most obvious one I can remember
(I recall catching Erin saying a typo at one point too but I don't recall exactly what it was....something like using "you" instead of using "your" I think..........)

Oppenheimer

Les monsieurs de Narcisse

256470 Potch
0 Soldiers
1865 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Ikano":2z6p10gc]My (US) version let my choose between 3 different languages in the beginning....which has me to believe that there are 3 different language tracks in the cartridge.

Aha! I think you're exactly right. Although I'm sure those in Quebec are squeeling over the ability to play the game in French and not just have a French instruction booklet (which I always thought was a silly requirement in English RPGs), it is awful that they are penalizing the english speakers. Maybe I should just turn on the French language since it might be less annoying to hear them speak french than to hear them superspeedenglish.

Spell to Bind Forever

235341 Potch
0 Soldiers
5809 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Voice Acting Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

From what I've heard only the text changes when you adjust the language settings, not the actual voices.

To be completely honest, I quite like the voice acting. The main character's voice was kind of annoying at first, but I've warmed up to it and I think it fits his personality. What I don't like is when occasionally some of the lines are delivered very monotone and don't fit well into the context. The main character is not the only one that does this, I might add. I guess this isn't very uncommon in video games... some voices will be good, some will be bad. There are only a handful of english VA that are superb and I'm just glad they didn't decide to have them voice multiple characters. I hate that. Overall though, I think the voice acting adds to the game more than it takes away. The cut scenes certainly wouldn't be the same without them.

RIP Gabriel J. Figueroa 1987-2007
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Tierkreis Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: