Suikoden Uncanny and Inspirational Kibbutz Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

SRPGs?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: SRPGs? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Any good SRPGs out there on PS1, 2 or Xbox 360? Obviously bar the obvious ones like Suikoden Tactics, Final Fantasy Tactics and Disgaea, looking for something thats like these, preferably with a good jobs system if there is any.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tactics Ogre, Hoshigami, um.. those are the only two that come to mind off the top of my head.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Brigandine, best SRPG aside from Shining Force and FFT

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arc the Lad Collection, if you can find it, for the PS1. There's no jobs system, but the Hunter's Guild subquests in Arc the Lad II (they pretty much based the third game around the Hunter's Guild, but not as good as the second) can be pretty fun. I remember there's at least one monster which is only available in a ten minute window, so you need to know where to look.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Darko

Spell to Bind Forever

235341 Potch
0 Soldiers
5809 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I heard Eternal Poison (Poison Pink) for the PS2 was pretty good.

RIP Gabriel J. Figueroa 1987-2007
UberPendragon

40855 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: SRPGs? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Forget all that get Warcraft 3 for your computer if you have even a marginally decent computer from 2 years ago you can run it. It's better then any of the games your going to get for either of those systems. However dont then play World of Warcraft because you'll likely lose your social life.

God Save The Queen!

R.I.P. Harmonia-Online
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Warcraft 3 isn't an SRPG, its an RTS. Good game, but not what he's looking for.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Now that I'm not pressed for time, I can actually open up my collection and tell you what I got and liked.

Arc the Land Collection
Brigadine
Vandal Hearts 1&2
Hoshigami
Tactics Ogre
Kartia
Dynesty Tactics
Poison Pink
Utuwareremomo

I think that's it for turned based strategy games. If you don't mind them having too much of a real time

Kessen 1&2
Warhammer and Warhammer: Dark Omen.. think there's a new one out too.
Ogre Battle games as well.

And well if you had an emulator there's quite a few ones for Game Boy Color and GBA.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: SRPGs? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Brigandine, is it worth $60+?

I have been looking to pick this up and Tactics Ogre for ages.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks for the suggestions!
UberPendragon

40855 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="RedCydranth":y08rmodg]Warcraft 3 isn't an SRPG, its an RTS. Good game, but not what he's looking for.

The story of Warcraft 3 elevates it to RPG status in my mind and obviously its strategy, I think its semantic to say Final Fantasy Tactics is an SRPG (because it's turn based I guess?) and Warcraft 3 is RTS because it's not. He's looking for a game that's a mix of strategy and story with character development I think Warcraft fits.

God Save The Queen!

R.I.P. Harmonia-Online
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah unfortuantely it's still not an SRPG. It's just a really good RTS. One of my favorites for sure.

But his examples were more along the lines of the other suggestions given.

UberPendragon

40855 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: SRPGs? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thats fair, I may be dumb but I still dont see much of a difference. What exactly sets and SRPG apart from an RTS with RPG style storytelling?

God Save The Queen!

R.I.P. Harmonia-Online
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's a difference in game mechanics, not in terms of story or characters, really. RTS games are fought in real time, where as SRPGs are intended to be played more like chess, with characters that a person controls and commands in a type of turn format. So, you may be right when you say that a game like Warcraft has a good story, and characters, but it's the mechanics that make it an RTS (like other RTS games with good stories, such as Command and Conquer, and Starcraft).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah the gameplay makes the different. In RTS you tend to have to build up a bases, harvest resources, make units and defeat the enemy or some other objective.

In a SRPG it tends to be turned based or at least slower paced than RTSes, you tend to have a set team of characters that gain levels and learn different abilities. You can change their equipment as and sometimes their classes. They're just different genres.

I remembered Growlanser games are also great srpgs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: