Suikoden Uncouth and Illegal Kibbutz Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

NBA Season 08-09
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flamo Bringer

Flamo-chan

11929 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: NBA Season 08-09 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can't believe that there's no topic for this awesome sport at all (as of yet).
Well too bad, I'll be stealing the show now =D

Anywho, let's cut to the chase.
1. Which is your favourite team?
2. Any predictions of who will win the NBA ring this year? (doesn't have to be your favourite team of course)
3. Favourite player?
4. MVP candidate. Paul? LeBron? Kobe? Dwight? Wade? or any other?
5. The All-Star Weekend. Please provide:
-Dunk Contest Winner
-3 Point Shootout Winner
-Skills Winner
-East vs West Winner
6. Any other comments or any shared thoughts, discussions and/or opinions may be posted.

In my opinion:
1. To me, I have my money on the Rockets and Magic.
2. It is always unexpected every year, but I'm guessing Cavaliers. They are a strong candidate.
3. Dwight Howard and Ron Artest.
4. LeBron is the strongest candidate. I'm pretty sure he will get the MVP title for the season this year.
5. Dunk contest: Dwight Howard would most probably win it again this year. I don't see other competition as a fancy dunker as much.
3 Point Shootout: Jason Kappono again, he's a tank in this category.
Skills: Not too sure. I don't really follow this. Most probably Jason Kidd or Tony Parker
East vs West: East
6. None at the moment, just post as much as you'd like regarding to the topic guys! Much appreciated (:
Wind Rune

640 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. Which is your favourite team?
- I'm a pistons/spurs fan. what can i say, i love teams that play defense. boring as hell but it wins championships

2. Any predictions of who will win the NBA ring this year? (doesn't have to be your favourite team of course)
- spurs. its an odd year so its their time again

3. Favourite player?
- Chauncey Billups. not really the first choice of any normal player but i like the way he plays

4. MVP candidate. Paul? LeBron? Kobe? Dwight? Wade? or any other?
- KB24 repeat. sorry Bron and CP3. it has to go to the best player on the planet right now

6. Any other comments or any shared thoughts, discussions and/or opinions may be posted.
- if you play fantasy nba, this is one insane season with players, particularly centers, dropping left and right. it just goes to show how important a big man is to a team
shikator

Akamaru

492303 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: NBA Season 08-09 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think i did a thread about the NBA a while back, did you try searching?

Anyways,

1. I'm a long time spurs fan

2. Spurs. I hope Ginobili's injury is not season ending. I realized there situation right now, they are probably a level behind the Cavs,Celtics,lakers but I have grown watching Pop's men, and believe me they know how to turn things up come playoff time.

3. Tim Duncan. Best PF of all time. the best players for the past ten years, Kobe should not even be in discussion only shaq and timy deserves to be mentioned. I hate it when people say kobe has been the best player far the past ten years when in fact he did not even a championship, heck the lakers sucked without Gasol.

4. Lebron!!! How does the cavs play without James? they suck without james. How does the lakers play without kobe? they still look like a contender.

5. I cant believe they gave the All-star MVP award to both Kobe and Shaq, Anyone who is more concerned about fairness rather than the ratings would have given the Co-MVP award to Paul.

* Also, Fernandez Dunk, even though he tried it for like 15 times was the best dunk of the competition IMO. Did anyone see Nate second dunk? i cant believe that dunk was a point higher than Fernandez second dunk. Fck David Stern, I hope the spurs play in the final against a team in the east that is not Boston or the Cavs just to fck with his Stupid and selfish ambitions.

* Again I would like to remind people how overrated Kobe is in regards to him being seen by many as the best player for the past ten years, when in fact he does not even come close to both shaq and Timmy.

RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: NBA Season 08-09 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. Favorite Team?

New York Knicks. I stick with them even tough they're a laughing stock.

2. Who's gonna win it all?

I still say the Celtics are the best team and a repeat is definitely a possibility.

3. Favorite Player?

Of all time? Patrick Ewing.
Playing now? I gotta go with KG. I also really like Shaq and CP3.

4. MVP candidate?

LeBron James. He is the Cavaliers, still. I know w/o Kobe the Lakers are nothing and without Paul the Hornets would be flailing, but LeBron is really amazing and he's crazy good.

5. All-Star Weekend?

Its all done with now... I had Howard repeating as dunk champ though. And I had the West winning.

6. Other comments:

Kobe isn't overrated man. He's one of the best players of all time. Tim Duncan and Shaq are great too, but when they led their teams to championships they had a LOT of help around them. Right now Kobe's got 1 other guy I'd consider a decent talent (Pau Gasol). Looking ahead yes, Bynum will be a star, but he's hurt now and for the rest of the regular season. Yet still the Lakers contend. The early Spurs with Duncan was led by David Robinson, the more recent Spurs team has Parker and Ginobli who're by far the heart and soul of that team and without them Duncan would never have been a champ. Shaq's been lucky. The Lakers Era of Shaq's career was gifted with scads of talent. Young Kobe was part of this. But since Shaq's departure Kobe's kept that franchise a solid contender year in and out. Shaq was lucky to land in a rising Miami where he had the support of DWade. Kobe and LeBron are the 2 most dominant players in this league and Duncan and Shaq are way behind them. Even in his prime, I'd say Tim was only top 5 talent in the league, never top 3.

Don't get me wrong, I think Duncan is a sure fire HoFer and is an elite player, but I'd never say he is better than Kobe Bryant.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
shikator

Akamaru

492303 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: NBA Season 08-09 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Title contender when sahq left? They sucked, the suns were kicking there asses. A seventh spot and barely over 50 percent winning percentage is not contention. So, basically you are saying shaq and duncan are luckier than kobe and that is why they achived more :roll: have you forgotten taht duncan has played with three different teams? yes it was the spurs but definnitly different teams.

You seem to know little about the past spurs and the rookie years of both Manu and parker..duncan was there to carry them his ability To work with the team has made parker and manu confident with there game.

Kobe MVP did not lead to a championship. SHAG AND TIM did. Tim has won two season MVP three Finals MVP...heck shaq was the one killing everyone On the finals when the lakers were Fcking everyone for three years.

dont give ME LUCK AS AN EXCUSE PLEASE.

PS

Dont get angry with me ok hehehe I Just my opinion.
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I never said Duncan sucked, in fact I said he was quite good for a number of years. After Shaq left LA, Kobe kept that team afloat. Sure you can scoff at being the 7th seed, but he did essentially that by himself. After Shaq left Miami, where'd they go on Dwayne Wade alone? Down the drain. Tim Duncan ALWAYS had people around him. He is a leader and a good player, but he's never been the ONLY guy on the team with prime talent. And it seems only when those other guys are healthy does Duncan play well.

Also, I think you're placing FAR too much stock in the MVP title. I mean Dirk Nowistki, Steve Nash and Kevin Garnett all won the MVP and they didn't win championships that year. So, unless the MVP wins a championship too, they're overrated?

And your quote "He doesn't even come close to Shaq and Timmy" is where you're really misguided. Even if you think Kobe's less talented, you can't say those 2 are far and away miles better and Kobe doesn't come close. I think Kobe is better than both Shaqtus and Duncan, but I still give both props for being elite players.

shikator

Akamaru

492303 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: NBA Season 08-09 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

oh they did? :roll: they did not even qualify back in 2005. you really think the spurs would not make the playoff if manu or tony got injured? I think you are falling for the kobe hyperbole here.

You think shaq and duncan are good but you deprive them of what they deserve by giving kobe the player of the dcade...Duncan and shaq won MVP's on years that they became champions. I don't think kobe is less talented, In fact i think he is the most talented player right now in the nba but being the most talented does not necessarily mean you are the better ball player

You think duncan was good for a number years? IF you mean He is not good anymore than you dont watch the Nba. Duncan has been the most consistent player in the NBa for the past decade. And no Duncan plays great b-ball even without its support.
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
In fact i think he is the most talented player right now in the nba but being the most talented does not necessarily mean you are the better ball player.

I think this sentence pretty much makes my argument. He's the most talented player, how does this not mean he's the best? Shaq and Tim won their MVPs because they were the best players on great teams. Dirk, KG and Nash won their MVPs on teams without as much support. What is there to argue? If anything it shows these 3 are better than Shaq and Duncan because they were able to achieve the award without the accolades of having the best team to back them up. Kobe can qualify here too to some extent.

It's hard to really put Duncan and O'Neil on the same level playing field as Bryant because they play different positions, but Kobe does extremely awesome stat every year consistently. Shaq and O'Neil have a different role in their offense so using numbers can't accurately show who is better.

You're not gonna budge, I get that. But the quoted sentence above means you have to withdraw the statement that he is overrated and doesn't even come close to the 2 centers. I've said that Duncan is an elite player. I'm not saying, or will I ever say he isn't elite and didn't deserve those MVP awards he won those years. For those years he was the Most Valuable Player, but that doesn't mean he's the best. You blindly confuse this. Talent and ability on court, which Bryant on a routine basis shows, makes him the best player.

shikator

Akamaru

492303 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: NBA Season 08-09 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I think this sentence pretty much makes my argument. He's the most talented player, how does this not mean he's the best?

sorry but i think many would disagree with you on this. If talent makes a player the best then rasheed wallace should just be pretty close or even on par with kobe.

Quote:
It's hard to really put Duncan and O'Neil on the same level playing field as Bryant because they play different positions, but Kobe does extremely awesome stat every year consistently. Shaq and O'Neil have a different role in their offense so using numbers can't accurately show who is better.

This is where hyperbole falls. If you think kobe has been more consist.nt than duncan then you have pretty much lost the discussion..only laker fans might agree with you on this.

You're not gonna budge, I get that. But the quoted sentence above means you have to withdraw the statement that he is overrated and doesn't even come close to the 2 centers. I've said that Duncan is an elite player. I'm not saying, or will I ever say he isn't elite and didn't deserve those MVP awards he won those years. For those years he was the Most Valuable Player, but that doesn't mean he's the best. You blindly confuse this. Talent and ability on court, which Bryant on a routine basis shows, makes him the best player.

i did not say he was overrated in regards to talent, he is overrated in regards to him being in the discussion of the best player of the decade.
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, you go on thinking that. Meanwhile the rest of the world who knows Basketball will continue to be right and call Kobe the best player of the decade. Regardless of your personal fanboyism hardon for Duncan and the Spurs, he's not the best of the decade. Kobe is, every analyst, commentator, and hell even 90% of the athletes will side with me. In this case, yes, majority does rule.

I hate it when fanboys argue, they can't get their head out of their team/player's ass to see what's in front of them. I love the Knicks and my favorite player of all time is Patrick Ewing, but I'm not gonna be so crass to even mention his name against some of the best Centers of all time. Let alone best players.

Duncan is very good and deserves his credit, but Kobe Bryant is clear and away the best player in the last 10 years. Just ask around.

shikator

Akamaru

492303 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="RedCydranth":kl5esr1l]Well, you go on thinking that. Meanwhile the rest of the world who knows Basketball will continue to be right and call Kobe the best player of the decade. Regardless of your personal fanboyism hardon for Duncan and the Spurs, he's not the best of the decade. Kobe is, every analyst, commentator, and hell even 90% of the athletes will side with me. In this case, yes, majority does rule.

I hate it when fanboys argue, they can't get their head out of their team/player's ass to see what's in front of them. I love the Knicks and my favorite player of all time is Patrick Ewing, but I'm not gonna be so crass to even mention his name against some of the best Centers of all time. Let alone best players.

Duncan is very good and deserves his credit, but Kobe Bryant is clear and away the best player in the last 10 years. Just ask around.

What justfication do you have to call kobe the best? MVP? he only has one.All star apearance? Duncan and shaq have more? Finlas MVP? Duncan and shaq have more?

The rest of the world? :lol: Is the rest of the world just you and some kobe fanboys? :lol: Many and majority of analyst commentators has agreed that both shaq and duncan are the pinnacle of the NBA..

I can name those analyst in post here but it would be too long.
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You keep falling back on stats. Numbers and titles. Those, which I've already stated are skewed. Duncan is the best player on his team, hands down. Best player in Spurs history, easily. One of the top players in the last decade? Sure, I'll admit he's been amazing. But using his number of championships or MVPs is skewed because he's the best player on one of the best teams of the decade. He always has had a full team to support him. Kobe is the best because he's got the intangible skills you can't put on a paper. But you keep staring at numbers.

I think the difference here is our interpretation of the word Best. You seem to think MVPs, Championships and such equate to being the best, whereas I see skill and ability as a way to measure one's value. I'll admit that Duncan has been more successful in the NBA than Bryant. That doesn't mean he's better. Or else Robert Horry would be the best player in the league. 7 NBA championships! He MUST be amazingly good! Way better than guys like Dwayne Wade, Charles Barkley and Larry Bird... COMBINED!

I do admit, winning matters. You can't be seen as good without good numbers in the W column. Championships and MVPs help make someone look good. Duncan has that. He's a great player and probably one of the best of our era. But you can't look only at those when saying who the best players are. You have a legit argument for Duncan being one of the best of the last Decade. But you can't immediately call Kobe overrated when he's got the credentials and ability he does. If anything I think we can both agree that Duncan is underrated given his stats and what he has accomplished in his career thus far. He is easily overlooked in the argument of best of the decade. Probably because the Spurs are the most boring successful team in NBA history. I've seen golf tourneys with more excitement than a Spurs game.

shikator

Akamaru

492303 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: NBA Season 08-09 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
You keep falling back on stats. Numbers and titles. Those, which I've already stated are skewed.

They are not. they are just better justification than talent.

Quote:
Sure, I'll admit he's been amazing. But using his number of championships or MVPs is skewed because he's the best player on one of the best teams of the decade. He always has had a full team to support him. Kobe is the best because he's got the intangible skills you can't put on a paper. But you keep staring at numbers.

Seriously, you cant compare horry with Duncan. Duncan has won MVP's on championship years while horry has only been a role player. Have you forgotten 2003?

Quote:
But you can't immediately call Kobe overrated when he's got the credentials and ability

he does have the credentials but his credentials are certinly not better than Duncan and shaq.heck, it's not even on par
Quote:

If anything I think we can both agree that Duncan is underrated given his stats and what he has accomplished in his career thus far. He is easily overlooked in the argument of best of the decade

I don't think he is underrated, he is just taken for granted that's all. he is after all considered by many as the best PF to play the game.

Quote:
Probably because the Spurs are the most boring successful team in NBA history. I've seen golf tourneys with more excitement than a Spurs game.

I seriously doubt you have watched that much spurs game, I guess you fall for that BS the media makes...Ever heard of Manu Ginobili??

What kobe offers is excitement. The guy can make anyone who watches a game of the nba that happy..something Duncan lacks.
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is pointless. You refuse to recognize my side of the argument when I've seen yours. We obviously differ, let's leave it at that. Talent makes a player the best, not MVPs and Championships. But you feel otherwise. The End.

shikator

Akamaru

492303 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: NBA Season 08-09 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I did not refuse to recognize what you have been trying to point out. In fact i stated that kobe may very well be the most talented player in the NBA.But is talent really the difference maker? We can argue that AI, Sheed, Tmac are all talented individuals maybe even as talented as kobe is but will we consider them better than duncan and shaq?

I get your point. you obviously put more emphasis on talent than championships, something that many would disagree with.
Plus Kobe failed to qualify in the playoffs in 05 :mrgreen:

Anyways, I agree that we have just been going in circles about this so lets just change the discussion.

How are things going to turn out for the next 20 or something games?

East

I would just ignore the carbage teams, no need talking about them

Cleveland's Chances of finishing a top the eastern conference is very likely at the moment. they have been playing great basketball all year long and the seem to be healthier now so expect at least 17 wins in there last games. I think 17 should be enough to carry them to the top.

the rest In order of standings

Boston- Just added stephon, they are most definilty one of the strongest contendrs this year..Now Im just wondering if stephon would do good for the team or not.
Orlando- Pretty good team, without jameer though they wont contend for seed 1
Detroit- Won 4 straight without AI. I think this teamis a lot more better without AI. If I was curry I would bench AI
Miami- 6-4 in last 10. Wade is such a stud almost 30 points a game..wow.
Atlanta- 3-8 in the last games and have been really poor after the all star break I would not be surprised if the bulls take the seventh spot. IMO though they have one of the most atheltic team in the NBA and i think they could get over this slump
Chicago - 6-4 in the last games with Deng injured expect better form them when deng comes back healthy.
New Jersey_ this is going to be close between the bucks and new jersey, Unfortunalty for the bucks they dont have a player the would give you 20 points every night. New jesrsey has two plus they got lopez
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: