Suikoden Uncouth and Infamous Kraalesque Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Television Shows

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Television Shows Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Used to be that I never really got into television shows, by which I am refering mostly to hour long dramas and also those few half hour shows that aren't sitcoms (Weeds, Californication, et al.). In fact I never used to watch them and rarely watched TV at all unless it was some sports event or something on comedy central. I was more of a movie kind of guy. Than I recieved the first season of Rome, which was broadcasted on HBO, and I loved it. Unlike a movie, Rome was 12 hours of narrative in which characters could be explored through a world you could get lost in. After I'd watched it I decided that I wanted more, and thus a new hobby of mine was born. I started watching a lot of different shows. At first I stuck mostly to HBO and Showtime shows but than I started watching shows that came on cable television as well. Shows like 24, Firefly, and Heroes.

And to tell the truth, I've really enjoyed them all; albiet some more than others. I find these shows to be so much more satisfying than sitting through a 2 hour movie, as there is a limit to how much you can do in 2 hours. To be fair, I rarely if ever watch the shows on actual television, instead choosing to buy the DVD sets so I can enjoy it at my own pace (which, given my voracious appetite for good stories, usually happens to be a lot faster than the speed at which they air). But I've come to realize that television shows provide exactly what I love about books--a good story that can really explore everything. Every show I've ever watched I've become emotionally involved in, simply because I learn and experience so much with the characters that I can't help but sympathize with them. This can happen with movies too, but it doesn't happen nearly as much.

Has anybody else experienced this? Do you agree? Disagree?

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I completely agree. Great dramas that are well written and have good character development are the best shows on TV. Heroes, Lost, Firefly, Oz, and House are some of my favorite shows. Shame Firefly didn't last long. I sincerely hope Dollhouse runs longer.

Of those listed there, Oz is the best of those. Then Lost, Firefly, House and lastly Heroes. Not that Heroes sucks.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I've gotten way more into TV shows lately, as well. Although, for me, it's like past couple of years recent. I like to watch 24, Heroes, House sometimes, and American Idol. I'll usually watch CSI style dramas if they are on, but don't really follow them. I was annoyed to find out on Monday that they brought back Heroes so quickly, and stuck it right in the same time slot as 24. They are both awesome, and I'd rather not have to pick between them. I have to choose to watch 24 when it's on, and Heroes when it is uploaded onto NBC.com. Fox.com's videos suck at the moment. They take forever to load, so that, while you try to watch, the video goes slow, and the audio skips in and out, at the correct rate (fortunately, the line up, so that I'm not listening to the wrong sound for a particular scene). For the most part, though, I don't watch much TV.

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
UberPendragon

40855 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Television Shows Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I absolutely agree particularly if you can watch it on DVD. Among the shows listed already Lost, House, Firefly and Heroes in that order. Some other shows that I found really entertaining Smallville (my only venture into The WB land), The Shield, Briscoe County Jr (Im a huge Bruce Campbell fan and despite some cheese factor he and Julius Carrey are two of the best actors you may never hear of), Burn Notice (this is a great show but only in season two now, worth while to get into though) and Six Feet Under. Also while a bit girly I can't deny that I am a huge True Blood fan, I watched season 1 religiously.

God Save The Queen!

R.I.P. Harmonia-Online
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

TV shows now are so much better than movies in my opinion. Movies have 1.5-2 hours to make you feel something for the character, relate to them and enjoy their struggle. TV shows have 10-20 episodes, or 10-20 hours in one season.

It's sort of why we all like RPG games. 20-30 hours of following the same character, instead of a 2 hour movie about some guy saving the world. That extra time allows a director to show you more of the character, you get to learn or live with them. They say, you don't truly know someone until you've lived with them. The same idea can apply to a TV show. You begin to live with these characters and it's sad when you don't get to see them again.

No BSG fans here?!?!

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Flare

Flying Bolts of Doom

680830 Potch
3700 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like House, NCIS, and Dead Like Me for tv shows. All are pretty freaking amazing. I agree, tv shows are so much better than movies. It gives more of a sense of believability. I mean, like those movies where they stick a romance in. I highly doubt that people will fall in love with each other that quickly. Some seem to be kinda random too...I don't know...I'm not really a movie-type person. You'd be amazed that the amount of movies I have not seen. :P
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

By BSG I assume you are talking about Battlestar Galactica? Never watched it; I haven't watched a lot of the older shows people always mention. :P

I just found it interesting how quickly my interest faded in movies after getting into shows. I still watch movies and enjoy them, but I spend more time with shows now I guess. Movies can still be good; they're kinda like the short stories of the moving picture business. The best movies I think are more thematic and idealistic, working to get across some core ideas. TV shows have the time to explore a lot of ideas and spend a lot of time just with the characters themselves, whereas film just doesn't have that luxury. I can think of the movies I have liked and while the characters were really engaging and interesting in most of them, there was always some overarching theme or ideal that tied it all together. In a show you simply don't need that--a lot of shows have it anyways, but I don't think it is neccesary to make for good television.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Has anyone else here watched Lie To Me? I'm finding it really enjoyable. If you haven't, and like House's personality, you'll probably enjoy it. It combines Ass-who's-always-right with crime investigation, and the elements of lie detection are really interesting.

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Calvin":5g1clyd9]By BSG I assume you are talking about Battlestar Galactica? Never watched it; I haven't watched a lot of the older shows people always mention. :P

It's not an older show... or, well it is.... but they remade it. It's in the final season - avoid the final season and start from the beginning! WATCH THIS SHOW!!

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Flare

Flying Bolts of Doom

680830 Potch
3700 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Didn't they already have the last episode of that show?
Flamo Bringer

Flamo-chan

11929 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Somehow, I don't really fancy television shows for one strong main reason that I always use...
[Strong Reason]I just can't get my butt to sit on a chair/couch or whatever for lets say half an hour to 45 minutes or more, staring at the tv, watching how the series/story goes.[/Strong Reason]
My friends been kinda asking me about "hey you should watch this, you should watch that".
Heck, even one of my guy friends actually watches gossip girl and recommended it strongly to me.
Not just television shows, even animes.
Amazingly though I don't know how I could spend more than 100 hours on games ^^
Maybe because we actually participate/play through the story and such~
Well, this is of course my opinion. I believe that everyone do have different views on tv shows 8-)
Weyoun

Jem'Hadar

221521 Potch
100 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="fuji":26da7bew][quote="Calvin":26da7bew]By BSG I assume you are talking about Battlestar Galactica? Never watched it; I haven't watched a lot of the older shows people always mention. :P

It's not an older show... or, well it is.... but they remade it. It's in the final season - avoid the final season and start from the beginning! WATCH THIS SHOW!!

I second this. WATCH THIS SHOW!! It is super duper excellent awesome oh yeah love awesomeness I love BSG awesomeness cool like a the other side of awesomeness and awesomeness and cool excellent. In short, it's more awesome than randomly saying words and not using a comma.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Flare":3lvs50xt]Didn't they already have the last episode of that show?

nah, there are 6 more episodes to go.

Weyoun :shock: :P

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: