Suikoden Ugly and Informational Keystone Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

True Runes & Mark of Stars
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Tierkreis Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaLaLaVinCE

Bro of Liang Shan Marsh

7820 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: True Runes & Mark of Stars Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm, not sure anyone had started it or not, just wondering which of it will be prefer by us the Suikoden fans, True Runes or Mark of Stars? Me personally prefer True Runes. Any info about the Mark of Stars? Been searching info about it but can't get much on it. Advise? :mrgreen:
Raww Le Klueze

56792 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Uh... since Mark of the Stars is just a shameless ripoff of the rune system there's not much to prefer.

How it looks:

Runes: Character raises hand above head, rune symbol appears over head, spell hits.
Marks: Character raises hand above head, mark symbol appears over head, spell hits.

How it works:

Runes: Character equips a rune, gains four spells per rune (most of the time), maximum of 3 runes depending on character.
Marks: Character equips a mark, gains one spell per mark, all characters can equip 4 marks.
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

At this point...I prefer Runes (not just True Runes...rune-system itself) over Mark of Stars...
With Mark of Stars....it seems every character arbitrarily gets a random spell assigned to a specific mark...

So like...for example...a flame shaped mark of star may give one character a healing spell if they equip it but for another a magic-based spell...or a support type spell/skill etc....it feels rather unpredictable.

But on the other hand....with runes....if say...you give the fire rune to any character at all they all eventually learn the same set of fire-based spells.

---------
So yeah...in conclusion...I like the consistency of available spells in Runes-over several different characters
rather than the inconsistency of the spells available from the "Mark of the Stars" over several different characters...

if that made any sense...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Flamo Bringer

Flamo-chan

11929 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

May I ask what Mark of Stars are btw ^^
I haven't got any knowledge/heard anything about that before o.o
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Flamo Bringer":ertrvjds]May I ask what Mark of Stars are btw ^^
I haven't got any knowledge/heard anything about that before o.o

It's basically....the spiritual replacement of the rune system....in Suikoden Tierkreis.

aka: There is no rune system in Suikoden Tierkreis. It's replaced by the 'Mark of the Stars' system....

I can't explain it anymore than what I mentioned in the above post due to the fact....that I'm not really that fluent in Japanese XD and I'm vaguely interpreting everything by context...er...if that made sense....ahahahaha...... :? erheh....

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Flamo Bringer

Flamo-chan

11929 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh okay, it makes sense really since it's "another dimension" so they had to change the rune system and such haha thanks ^^
Kiante

Dragon Rider Regiment #9

244827 Potch
95 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Ikano":33p22fqq]At this point...I prefer Runes (not just True Runes...rune-system itself) over Mark of Stars...
With Mark of Stars....it seems every character arbitrarily gets a random spell assigned to a specific mark...

So like...for example...a flame shaped mark of star may give one character a healing spell if they equip it but for another a magic-based spell...or a support type spell/skill etc....it feels rather unpredictable.

But on the other hand....with runes....if say...you give the fire rune to any character at all they all eventually learn the same set of fire-based spells.

---------
So yeah...in conclusion...I like the consistency of available spells in Runes-over several different characters
rather than the inconsistency of the spells available from the "Mark of the Stars" over several different characters...

if that made any sense...

Totally agreed!

"The heart may be weak. And sometimes it may even give in. But I’ve learned that deep down, there’s a light that never goes out!" ~Sora
valeriaC12

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

mark of star = 4 magic can be used by each person
rune = up to 12 magic can be used by each person with high magic point

but you can equip four MoS even for low magic point person in tierkreis
in suikoden 1-5, low magic point = few magic (just two or even one!)
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Raww Le Klueze":ib11q2pd]How it works:

Runes: Character equips a rune, gains four spells per rune (most of the time), maximum of 3 runes depending on character.
Marks: Character equips a mark, gains one spell per mark, all characters can equip 4 marks.

Let's not forget:

Runes: Each level can be used up to seven or eight (I think it is) times before requiring a rest at the inn.
Marks: Uses magic points, thus each can be used indefinitely so long as the caster has enough MP to use.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

But I mean think about it...each character (in Tierkreis at least) learns only 12 or so spells predetermined[by the creators] throughout the whole game...only 4 of which you can equip at a time

but say....Runes.......lessee...wind, fire, water, earth, lightning, pale gate for this example.....6 runes
...you can unlock 4 spells max each rune
let's say a characters only can equip 2 runes (left and right hand)....that's 8 usable spells right there

of course some people can equip 3 runes and some people with a very low affinity to magic/runes can't use as many spells...but it seems in the big picture that you get more spell choices with runes, per character :o

Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Changing from Runes to Mark of the Stars was a pretty poor decision (along with moving to equipable weapons, in my opinion). It takes pretty much any customization of your characters magic out of the game. Not only that, though, but offensive spells are mostly useless in Tierkreis, anyways, unlike in the other Suikoden games. If they do continue with the Tierkreis series they need to seriously consider bring back the Rune and blacksmith systems.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, if you think about the storyline, the Mark of the Stars system helps to create the desired story. It's not that it couldn't have worked with a new True Rune and unique runes in place of the [spoiler:3r5m3y6j]True and False[/spoiler:3r5m3y6j] Chronicles, but that would have been wierd that way.

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
valeriaC12

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

well true runes have awesome magic and effect, and true rune holders always have different magic from others (make the holders look invincible!)
but sorry for mark of star, tenkai star's magic can be learned by other character (even tenkai bear a the chronicle), and also some character can learn better magic than tenkai (except Liu who has it's unique magic and no one has it)
most mark of star are physical based attack, so it can't be called magic
Jhones

The Vermillion Legion

7066 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

After listening to the scholar in the Magedom, it COULD be inferred that the chronicles in Terkreis are that world's perception of Runes(maybe even True runes since there are such a limited number of those books). I mean, both are items of emense power, work for only a select few and are artifacts of great importance to their home worlds.

I'm going to get myself banned if I keep acting like a jerk...
Myrmidon

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: True Runes & Mark of Stars Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Before i begin let me apologize that is is going to be fairly long winded, It's rare that i say anything on any forum to be honest and when i do have something to say it tends to take a while.

There are a couple of things to bear in mind here. First to the best of our knowledge these worlds are not directly connected to the original one that the numbered games take place in. Even if it is they even state that some of the worlds in the infinity are VERY different from the one the game takes place in. The marks of the stars them selves is NOT a replacement for the Rune system per-say. They fill the same place in the game but the Marks system is the actually power of the Stars of Destiny and not an abstract power that was directly involved in the creation of the world. You make examples listing a half dozen runes and say there is more customization their, and with the limits of that game that stands true however look at the possibilities of this game how many Chronicles are there ...

Will i sat that this system is better no, however I will say that it is a good system. As for the mention about equip able weapons personally i found that to be a great idea, restring the smith would be an interesting idea with it as well. Give the players a selection of "Basic" weapons and have them use the Upgrade system from the old games to give them elements and higher Damage and such as opposed to replacing old gear, but then again that's only the weapons armor and accessories have been buy and replace since the first game so it's only natural they would consider it for weapons as well.

The True Runes would have unbalanced the game A LOT from what I've seen so far (after all the unbalance the numbered ones if you use them properly.) Could the normal runes have made an appearance sure but you need to think there is no Rune know or hinted at that has the power the factions were using in this game.

The Bottom line is did the decisions they made create an enjoyable game. If so then they did their jobs, if it fits with the rest of the lore they did a great job. There is also the possibility of course that it does not fit yet for a very good reason there might well be more coming
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Tierkreis Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: