Suikoden Ugly and Illegal Kriegspiel Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Initial reaction in Japan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Tierkreis Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well just remember this thread is filled with peoples opinions, just cause you don't agree with it doesn't mean you or the other person is wrong.

Personally, with all the 'bad' points Raww made, I found most of them to actually be good points. The story as far as I'm aware hasn't changed. The 108 stars were wiped out in the beginning of the game, and the tenkai of previous 108's lookalike ends up trying to gather them back up. Except some have been reincarnated as weapons and stuff. And then they go off to kill the guy who defeated them in the first place. The only thing really different is the lack of returning characters, and the rune system being replaced by the mark of the star system. Which again to my understanding isn't very different. Just instead of equipping a rune and getting 1-4 spells or abilities, you get one per mark of the star slot.

Really I can't except anymore out of a handheld console game. If they put anymore into it, they could have just done it for the wii or ps3 and call it Suikoden VI!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
EternalDusk

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

this is great news
ALAS MORE REASONS FOR ME TO BUY A DS!!
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have a feeling that this game is going to get demolished in the U.S., unless they move the release date. It comes out the same day as "Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars" and five days before "Pokemon Platinum". Both of those titles have larger fanbases and more appeal to the average/casual DS owner than an obscure RPG making it's DS debut like "Suikoden".

So, at this point, I'm holding off on buying a DS and am going to see if Konami decides to port the game over to PSP or something. It would give them more exposure for the title and boost the sales. (They've also already had a Suikoden title on PSP, so it's not out of the question.) I'm not entirely sure what the gameplay of Tierkreis is like, or whether the touch screen plays a huge role in playing the game which could make it difficult to port over, but I'm sure those things aren't impossible to work around for a PSP version.

As it stands right now, I don't think Tierkreis is going to do very well in America. Especially on a system that is built for kids/girls. (Before you attack me, I understand that not all DS owners are kids and girls, just that a large number of titles seem to be aimed at those markets. The DS is home to a number of RPG remakes, true, but it's still not a system that an RPG-playing/core-gamer should own.) I did see the new trailer for it with the anime cut scenes, which looks pretty sweet, but beyond that I see very little in this game that is making me want to run out and spend $130 on a DS and another $35 for the game. I'll get excited about Suikoden again once they put VI out on PS3 in 2011 (just my wishes, I don't "know " anything. :wink: )

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Sami

Liberating Swords

199204 Potch
27 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Noot":1sx1k6q5]So, at this point, I'm holding off on buying a DS and am going to see if Konami decides to port the game over to PSP or something. It would give them more exposure for the title and boost the sales. (They've also already had a Suikoden title on PSP, so it's not out of the question.) I'm not entirely sure what the gameplay of Tierkreis is like, or whether the touch screen plays a huge role in playing the game which could make it difficult to port over, but I'm sure those things aren't impossible to work around for a PSP version.

As it stands right now, I don't think Tierkreis is going to do very well in America. Especially on a system that is built for kids/girls. (Before you attack me, I understand that not all DS owners are kids and girls, just that a large number of titles seem to be aimed at those markets. The DS is home to a number of RPG remakes, true, but it's still not a system that an RPG-playing/core-gamer should own.) I did see the new trailer for it with the anime cut scenes, which looks pretty sweet, but beyond that I see very little in this game that is making me want to run out and spend $130 on a DS and another $35 for the game. I'll get excited about Suikoden again once they put VI out on PS3 in 2011 (just my wishes, I don't "know " anything. :wink: )

1. If you don't buy the game, you are contributing to lowering its sales. Are you then a real Suikoden fan?

2. PSP software sales are abysmal. Besides, Sony blocked Suikoden I & II collection from being released in the US. Maybe if Sony had allowed it, things would be different now.

3. If you don't have a DS by now, you're missing out on tons of RPGs. It's like not having a PS2 last gen.

You're correct on the timing though - Konami has been way too slow with Tierkreis. DS should have had a Suikoden title in early 2007 at best. Then we could be waiting for Tierkreis 2 now.
Raww Le Klueze

56792 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
1. If you don't buy the game, you are contributing to lowering its sales. Are you then a real Suikoden fan?

If you buy it, you are contributing to lowering the chances of ever seeing a Suikoden with runes and normal backdrop. Are you then a real Suikoden fan?
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
If you buy it, you are contributing to lowering the chances of ever seeing a Suikoden with runes and normal backdrop. Are you then a real Suikoden fan?

I suppose that would depend on whether you consider runes and a "normal" backdrop to be the defining features of Suikoden.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I doubt that Konami is looking to permanently remove runes. If anything, they are testing the waters for jumping ship from Playstation to a nintendo console, whether it be a permanent move to DS (and whatever will be Nintendo's next handheld) or an eventual move towards the Wii. This way, if it doesn't work out, they can always say it was just a spinoff/gaiden. Atleast, supporting Tierkreis will keep the series going, even if it doesn't come back to Playstation.

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Raww Le Klueze":25xwfqtn]If you buy it, you are contributing to lowering the chances of ever seeing a Suikoden with runes and normal backdrop. Are you then a real Suikoden fan?
That is a purely opinionated statement.

There was a reason Tierkreis does not use traditional "runes" and a "normal backdrop" as you put it....but that does not mean supporting the sales of Tierkreis will completely kill the "traditional Suikoden formula" in possible future installments.

Let me give you an example of a video game series that went through something that seems kind of similar...
------------
You know of Harvest Moon? It's a farming simulation. Though the idea may vary slightly in each game that comes out...the basic concept is to make a successful farm that will directly or indirectly make the surrounding town more prosperous.
You know of Rune Factory: A fantasy Harvest Moon? It's a farming simulation based somewhat on Harvest Moon original concepts but focuses more on fighting monsters and going into dungeons rather than the traditional Harvest Moon's "save the town by making it prosperous [through non-violent means]" theme.

Now...Rune Factory came out around the time when there was a "lull" of sorts of a "good" Harvest Moon game and even though Rune Factory was something new and untraditional to the Harvest Moon name...it started gaining it's own fans...but it's successfulness did NOT "kill" the original Harvest Moon formula as a few months later..."traditional-style" Harvest Moon games came out again.
And Rune Factory itself has --technically-- started becoming a separate series.

------------
So in conclusion....I say....supporting Suikoden Tierkreis sales isn't going to kill the original Suikoden formula....but rather do something more like what Rune Factory has done with Harvest Moon. Supported the series in name and the people behind making it.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Raww Le Klueze

56792 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Ikano":wz813ur5]That is a purely opinionated statement.

I realize this is probably going to be totally lost on you so it's basically an exercise in futility from here on.

Stating that you're not a true fan of the series if you do not buy the game that has nothing to do with series is not only stupid, it's a purely opinionated statement. My statement serves to show the flaw in the "argument", which is why I more or less copied the original one.

Furthermore, you can delude yourself into thinking that Tierkreis success or unsuccess will not determine the future of the series all you want, but all interviews on the matter state otherwise.

Quote:
Let me give you an example of a video game series that went through something that seems kind of similar...

No. You have nothing to say that would interest me even remotely. Especially not since you're comparing apples and oranges.

When Rune Factory was announced, produced and released it was simultanously to the normal ones. There is no Suikoden VI in conjunction with Tierkreis. Not even hinted at.

Unlike Tierkreis, Rune Factory was never said to be a reboot of the franchise. Nor was it claimed to be the new dawn of the Harvest Moon series. It was always made as a side-project, even to the point it was outsourced to a different company, and always billed as one.

It has nothing in common with Tierkreis situation.
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, Tierkreis has never been billed as a "reboot" by anyone that truely matters (read: Konami, and the series' higher ups). It has always been considered a side project, assumedly to test the market, either for Nintendo exposure, handheld exposure, or just fan reaction to change.

Raww Le Klueze

56792 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Actually, Tierkreis has never been billed as a "reboot" by anyone that truely matters (read: Konami, and the series' higher ups)

Yeah. No one at Konami has ever said anything like that. Especially not Masayuki. *facepalm*

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3171794&p=39

Quote:
However, it's also true that previous Suikoden releases have been relatively niche titles. We want as many people as possible to enjoy Suikoden: Tierkreis, which is why we chose to create a new game universe, as it won't be burdened by backstory that new players wouldn't have an understanding of.

Quote:
With this in mind, I think our goal will be to create new games that attract as many new players to the established franchise in order to grow the fan base.

Quote:
we'll continue to develop games that will expand the core appeal of the franchise to a wider audience

Quote:
Suikoden: Tierkreis is the dawn of the new Suikoden series

Darko

Spell to Bind Forever

235341 Potch
0 Soldiers
5809 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I realize this is probably going to be totally lost on you so it's basically an exercise in futility from here on.

Quote:
No. You have nothing to say that would interest me even remotely.

Oh, please. If that's the case then why do you insist on arguing the same point over and over again? I think everyone on this board knows how you feel about Tierkreis so just shut up already.

Yeah, we all read the stupid interview. You can see it however you want to, other people don't agree. Personally, until they say "We are not going back to the other world and characters" I think you're splitting hairs and coming off as a self-righteous jerk in the process.

RIP Gabriel J. Figueroa 1987-2007
Raww Le Klueze

56792 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Darko":1ei109y2]Oh, please. If that's the case then why do you insist on arguing the same point over and over again?

Cause people keep insisting on repeating the same stupid crap over and over again?

Quote:
I think everyone on this board knows how you feel about Tierkreis so just shut up already.

We all know how you feel too yet you don't seem to be under any obligation to shut up so feel free to take your own advice and then I might consider it.

Quote:
Yeah, we all read the stupid interview.

Sucks when reality doesn't agree with you huh?

Quote:
You can see it however you want to

Apparently not since I'm supposed to shut up about it. Can't have it both ways.

Quote:
I think you're splitting hairs and coming off as a self-righteous jerk in the process.

It's a good thing I don't give a flying **** what you think then.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Initial reaction in Japan Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If we can't discuss this topic nicely, then we won't discuss it at all. First and final warning to those concerned.
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Raww, you are jumping to conclusions that simply are not stated in that article. He does not say "Yup. We're starting over. Get over it!" He simply said that Tierkreis is an attempt to pull more people into the series. He did not state with any certainty whether Konami would persue the active Suikoden world, or the new one, or continue to switch worlds. Until Konami says this, why would you bash another for hoping for the best? Also, the original argument started over whether supporting the game supports the series, and how it supports it. If we support the game, atleast Konami is likely to make a new Suikoden, for better or worse. If Konami loses faith in the selling potential of the series, they might simply drop it. That is why supporting Tierkreis is a good idea, regardless of your personal preference. If you disagree, fine. Don't buy it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Tierkreis Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: