Suikoden Urgent and Infamous Kraalesque Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Initial reaction in Japan
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Tierkreis Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Initial reaction in Japan Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've been following the initial reaction after Tierkreis' release in Japan.

On the first day, the game sold 40000 copies, which is pretty good.
Obviously the tally for the whole week would be much higher, and more people should buy ity during the weekend.

There have been relatively few complaints about the game including story and gameplay. Most of us worry about whether Tierkreis has the "Suikoden feel," but I've read some comments that say Tierkreis feels like Suikoden moreso than Suikoden 4 or 5, so the indication at this point seems to be pretty good. The whole "getting thrown into the dirt and then rising back to glory" type of catharsis that's a staple in earlier Suikoden titles seems to exist (based on comments made by Japanese fans).

Skeptics are starting to consider buying the game after refusing to acknowledge Tierkreis as a Suikoden title. The general view seems to be that the story and gameplay is sort of suikoden-like, while the game doesn't seem very suikoden-like initially.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That is good news, and renews my excitement for the game. I had sort of dwindled in excitement, but I was retaining hope, so this just makes me that much more interested in purchasing the game.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Initial reaction in Japan Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Encouraging developments Vextor.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd like to provide more detail but there's not much else yet, given the fact that the game has only been out for two days.
I'm being more tempted to get a Japanese DS...
Sami

Liberating Swords

199204 Potch
27 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Why a Japanese DS? It's a region free console. Unless you don't have a DS at all.

Interested in hearing what the Japanese message boards are saying about it, and also if there are new players who haven't played Suikoden before. Somewhat promising that it's sold that many on the first day already, hope it will keep selling well.
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That is great news that it already sold 40,000 copies. If I remember correctly Suikoden V only sold like 200k during its run; sounds like the series has gotten its second wind.

I still have to buy a DS too...but I can't read Japanese so it looks like I'll have to wait a while!

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's definitely encouraging. Hopefully this game will accomplish what it set out to, and serve as a gateway for new people into the series.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah I was about to ask that. You said here weren't exactly interested in the game. But are the initial reactions changing your mind on that?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sounds interesting... hmmm... I've been looking for an excuse to buy a DS.... but I have never got around to it. If this game is good... well, maybe I'll get one. Still, lots of time to wait before I need to think about it though.

Thanks for the update Vex!

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Milan Fiori":1egy2oig]Ah I was about to ask that. You said here weren't exactly interested in the game. But are the initial reactions changing your mind on that?

Yes it is. Also my dad asked me to send him a DS Lite along with some English games, so I may as well get one for myself at the same time.
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Looking good, thanks for the update Vextor.

Now I may need to pick up a DS aswell!
Piisuke

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Initial reaction in Japan Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the game is al right so far. The 'Suikoden Feel' is missing, in my opinion. My Japanese is very limited, so I won't know much of the story, unfortunately.

The music is a plus, the famous "enter your name" tune comes up again, which is always pleasant to hear.
On that note, the hero has a voice for the first time, which makes it less awkward when the hero is supposed to speak, as what happened with Suikoden IV and V.

However, from my experience with the game so far, the hero seems to be an idiot. If anybody has played Atelier Iris, they will remember Klein. He is a character that makes random jokes, or random laughs about serious situations. At least, that is how it comes across. As I said, I don't speak much Japanese, other than a few sentences, it is the pictures that show him laughing suddenly.

The gameplay is something that doesn't sit right with me either. Both Suikoden I and II, who ran on 8/16/32 bit had decent to good animations. However, this game seems to have very sloppy animations. It just doesn't look good. It looks awkward. Imagine Suikoden III, the animations in that game weren't great either.
And for the love of god, why 4 party members!? I am not sure if one recruits 108 characters with this game, but if that is the case, selecting three out of 108 is a pretty unfair task. It didn't work in IV, so it won't work in Tierkreis.

Graphics, they look nice. One thing that bothers me is that one does not walk through a town. One walks through sections.
There is a street with random people on it, you talk to them, exit the screen and then a menu pops up for your next location.
The sections are pretty small as well, which is a shame.

Story.... no clue.

So far.. I am just walking around, talking to random people and fighting, seeing if it progresses the story.
The game starts with an anime scene, which looks quite good, so I am hoping there will be more.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Weekly Famitsu apparently gave this game a score of 9/8/9/8 (four reviewers giving scores from 1-10).
The reviewers uniformly praised the depth of the story and the general tempo of the gameplay. The use of WIFI to "borrow" characters from other players apparently flows seamlessly with the story. "This game is put together impeccably, and there are very few faults," says two of the reviewers.

I've also read a few user reviews in Amazon Japan and Yahoo Japan, and the reception seems to be very good. Most comments mention how the story is good.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A great story is good news-- but I'm still curious if it retains the feel of a Suikoden story-- and hasn't been reduced to your usual JRPG fare. It looks like some of the Japanese fans think that it feels like a Suikoden game-- however it's hard to tell as of yet.

Still, if the reviewers find that the game has "very few faults"-- it seems like it would most definitely be an interesting game to have on the RPG, whether it feels like our beloved Suikoden or not.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gremio

147007 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This game is really heavy in voice acting - there are lots of voiced cutscenes and I didn't notice an option to go text-only. If the English voice acting is not handled well, it may destroy the overall feel of the game.

As for the rest... I am just a couple hours into it, and I don't find any significant complain - it may very well be the best RPG on the system (the most valuable competitors are all remakes after all). The backgrounds are especially gorgeous and I like the fact that battles are fast just as they were in Suiko 1 and 2.

I'm not getting much of a Suikoden feel either, however.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Tierkreis Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: