Suikoden Utopian and Inspirational Knowledge Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Play 1 or 2 first?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nikolai

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Play 1 or 2 first? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi All,

Quick question. I played Suiko 1 >10 years ago, and remember almost nothing. My wife and I played 5 recently, loved it, then played it again for the good ending.

I happen to know that she (wonderful lady she is) is getting me a copy of suiko 2 for Christmas, which I have heard is the holy grail of Suikodens. Since we've played 5, we were considering just going straight through from the beginning of the series (playing 1, then 2, etc.) I have heard, however, that the story/plot of 2 is very much like that of 1, it just does it better. Would it be best, to get the maximum impact of 2 (which everyone says is the best) to play it first, and skip 1? Would playing 2 after having recently played 1 not be quite as enjoyable?

Thanks a ton!

BTW, sorry for not posting this in any of the individual game forums, but those always appear to be spoiler-rific.

-Nikolai
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The second game is generally considered better than the first, so I would say play the first game first, that way you are not disappointed with the quality of the game after having played such a stellar game as Suikoden II.

Having said that, though, I played the second game first and still quite enjoyed Suikoden I-- so I don't believe it really matters which way you play them, they'll both be quite enjoyable.

(Oh my, I don't think I answered your question, did I?)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Seraphblade

imaginary soldiers

935122 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You don't have to play the first one again. It just makes references to the first one every now and then and the characters from the first game have different dialogue if you have a saved data from the first game. Suikoden II is just as enjoyable either way.
Nikolai

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Play 1 or 2 first? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks for the responses. I guess what I'm wondering is whether if I play suiko 1 then the experience of 2 will be blunted due to the fact that 1's plot is so similiar.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Play 1 or 2 first? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was introduced via the first, but the second is a work of art, it doesn't matter a great deal in the order you play them, but I'd recommend the second.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Play 1 or 2 first? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Nikolai":2owwxv7z]I guess what I'm wondering is whether if I play suiko 1 then the experience of 2 will be blunted due to the fact that 1's plot is so similiar.

I'd say 1 and 5 have a more similar overall plot than 1 and 2, not that any numbered Suikoden strays far from a standard formula. 1 and 2 have minor plot elements in common mostly because they share a lot of characters. So you trade some novelty for nostalgia and easter eggs in that regard.

I don't think it'd ruin anything if you replayed 1 first. I also don't think you will get a lot out of replaying 1 aside from a memory refresher.

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The best thing about playing Suikoden 1 again and completing it with all 108 Stars od Destiny is you can import your gamesave to Suikoden II for some nice surprises! I will say no more. :P
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't really think Suikoden I and Suikoden II are that similar of experiences, to be honest-- so either way you play it, you'll be treated to two separate enjoyable experiences.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Definitely play 1 then 2 - if you play 2 first some of the things in 1 will be a bit annoying like the only one rune slot and inability to dash by default. Don't worry about the stories I played them both in a row and loved them both, the stories aren't all that similar apart from the whole stars of destiny and that kind of thing. Its also good to have Suikoden 1 fresh in your mind before playing Suikoden 2, so you recall characters and events that are mentioned.

How recently did your wife play Suiko 1? If she played it recently then you can probably go straight into 2 using her savegame from 1 and such, if she's around when you're playing she'll be able to refresh you on some things as well.

The Golden Mercenaries

5684336 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I played the second one first and that is the reason i was hooked on the series. I actually played through the first and second ones not too long ago. They don't take that long to beat and the returning characters make it interesting.

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You can literally beat Suikoden I in a day if you play straight through, so definitely play Suikoden I first, for the added bonuses and refresher, just make sure you get all 108!

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tell you the truth....I don't think the order matters much unless you need/want to go for that 108 stars ending so that you can use it to start the second off...

Take me and my strange case for example.....I played half of the first one....then played half of the second one....then went back and finished the rest of the first one then finished the rest of the second one
(long story short....At the time, I didn't have Suiko 1, it was my friends copy...but that didn't stop me from starting 2....nor did 2 stop me from finishing the first when my friend lent me their copy of Suiko1)

I mean...true, there's a few little cameos in 2 that you might not totally get unless you played 1...but it doesn't take too much out of it unless that sort of thing bothers you....

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would play one first, not for a story recap or anything though. After playing Suikoden II, I feels so old and dated and to be honest i didn't enjoy it as much as i did before i played II.
Nikolai

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Play 1 or 2 first? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks for all the input! Looks like we will play the 1st first...if I can only find my copy...
Destiny's Warrior

Mercenarios of Destino

17251 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Play 1 or 2 first? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, the first would be the best to get the ball rolling naturally. I myself started with the second though. You really miss the running feature when you go play the first after that. Haha. It's all good though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: