Suikoden United and Infamous Kraalesque Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Is the PS3 a sinking ship for Sony?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Sage":liexfrxv][quote="fuji":liexfrxv]So this post isn't completely off-topic... this is one of the reasons I think the PS3 still has a future. The ability to act as a media centre/blu-ray player/dvd player/stream music/video and even plays games too!

But shouldn't it be the other way around in order for it to be called a console? "It plays games and can even act as a media cenre/blu-ray player/dvd player/stream music/video too!" It's marketed that way, but if it's not used that way, then I think Sony's marketing is off.

It should be... and I think it will once some of the better games come out (GT5, FFX##).... but for now, regardless of how it's marketed, I don't think it's a sinking ship because I have found a large number of uses for the PS3.

Now, if we were to debate whether the PS3 failed as a video game console, then yes, that may be true at this point in time. As it is right now though, I am getting plenty of use out of my PS3.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="fuji":1ace7r8a]Now, if we were to debate whether the PS3 failed as a video game console, then yes, that may be true at this point in time. As it is right now though, I am getting plenty of use out of my PS3.

From the various blogs and forums which have also touched on this question it seems to be more on what you said, fuji. As a machine the PS3 is not a sinking ship (yet) since many have found other uses for it, but as a gaming console it may have become the big black albatross on Sony's business plan to get out of another (even worst) business funk.

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How popular will this prove??? hhmm...

[url=http://ps3.ign.com/articles/943/943635p1.html:1flr zzlf]Sony PlayStation3 3D Demo[/url:1flrzzlf]

Quote:
January 9, 2009 - At Sony CEO Howard Stringer's keynote address, he underlined a keen interest in developing 3D technology -- specifically, RealD 3D -- and its potential future with Sony. While the discussion primarily concerned the box office, Stringer did allude to its possible use in videogames, as evidenced by a flashed image of Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. Inside the CES expo hall, though, Sony is going a step further with RealD and the PlayStation 3 by showing off three different technology demos of games using the stereoscopic effect: Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, WipEout HD, and MotorStorm: Pacific Rift.

Now, none of these games were playable. They were only shown on a loop and the attendant at the 3D area repeatedly reminded viewers that nothing we were seeing should be taken as a firm plan to create 3D PS3 games. Hopefully, the gentleman's warnings are one day replaced by reality, because by slipping on a pair of RealD glasses, all three games popped to life. The Gran Turismo 5 Prologue demo ran replay laps of various races with a handful of different cars. The 3D is effective, giving the replay footage real depth. The car, racing toward the screen in one cinematic camera swoop, did appear to be moving toward you but not overbearingly so. It was actually somewhat subtle, which was in certain contrast to the other two demos.

The WipEout HD clip was only a few seconds long but nonetheless impressive. At least, it was to me. The showgoer next to me remarked that he didn't see what all the fuss was about. Maybe he had one of his eyes closed, because the way the HUD floated in "front" of the television looked almost as if you were staring through a display projected on a windshield. The vehicle hovered over the track, which raced toward you as the ship screamed around a lap. In many ways, I was reminded of some older 3D videogame tech demos because there is a degree of obtrusiveness with the floating HUD. It feels like a mildly forced effect, but the cleanliness of the image versus past efforts is part of what makes it look so cool.

Of the three demos, my favorite was MotorStorm: Pacific Rift because it seemed to exist between the subtlety of GT5 Prologue and the obviousness of WipEout HD. The HUD didn't pop as much as Wipeout HD's gauge, but it certainly existed on a different plane from the action. The sheer amount of scenery the buggy raced through, such as trees or brush, really appeared to take up space. You could see the buggy was in front of, then inside of, and finally behind a bush as it powers through it. And when the buggy crashed, the rolling wreckage really bounced off of the ground and pieces exploded into the air on what looked like real trajectories separate from both the buggy and the track. The sum of the effects gave MotorStorm a true 3D effect that felt organic. Stuff wasn't flying toward you just to call attention to 3D.

While I must stress that these are not planned titles (much like the Sony rep did), I walked away from my RealD PS3 demo with genuine enthusiasm. If deployed properly inside games as a way to enhance the immersion -- such as MotorStorm's depth of field -- this could be an exciting selling point for the PS3 in the future.
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Interesting stuff, for sure. If they somehow find a way to implement this in a number of games, it could definitely give the PS3 a leg up in sales over its competitors. I'd be interested to play a game in 3D that's for certain.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As a gamer I would be all for it. Now, to play devil's advocate...will it be adopted anytime soon by developers who will probably have to decide whether to license the RealD 3D to add this particular goodness to games. I'm all for leaps in innovation in my gaming, but we're now seeing that while gamers and the tech-heads are praising CELL and Blu-Ray it sure hasn't fully translated into profits for Sony the way they were expecting it to.

This brings up the conundrum of trying to innovate in the gaming industry. Spend too little time and money trying to innovate and one's product stagnates and falls behind the pack, but spend too much time and money on it and a company loses its focus and forgets that too much too soon is not always a good thing. If this piece of innovation does make it to the PS3 I'd rather see it later than sooner. Sony has been touting the PS3 lifespan in terms of a decade instead of just 5-7 years. Why rush something that will require a peripheral that not everyone will be sold on (meaning gamers will be the heavy adopters) and one that may just hinder Sony's attempt to make the PS3 as something affordable in these tough economic times and also something that appeals not just to the hardcore but the rest of the consumer public.

EDIT: Here's a very insightful article about why Sony's PS3 and its less than stellar sales puts that company in a "damned if you do and damned if you don't" situation: [url=http://news.cnet.com/why-sony-needs-to-but-cant-drop-t he-price-of-the-ps3/?tag=mncol;txt:3oqripip]Why Sony needs to (but can't) drop the price of the PS3[/url:3oqripip].

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think there's no longer a debate that the PS3 has the better hardware, but it's a double-edged sword. It takes developers longer to program for it since it's unfamiliar terrain, and so there are less games available on the system (that, or most multi-console games are developed for 360 or PC then ported over to PS3, and it doesn't look as great). Historically, though, the system with the better hardware is never the one that does the best in sales.

In terms of the console wars, I think it's unfair to point at sales as the deciding indicator. The last sales stats I saw said the 360 is out-selling the PS3 by almost 2:1. But I wonder how many of those 360 sales are people purchasing a 2nd or 3rd system to replace a broken one? Just wondering.

And the Wii is destroying everything, but that doesn't really count to me. The Wii is, and always has been, a gimmick for Nintendo. One look at the titles for it shows how much garbage is produced for the Wii simply because it takes 10 people to program it and costs nothing for the company to make. Then the games are sold for $39.99 or something, and Nintendo makes bank if just a fraction of the games are sold. If you are a gamer, you can't possibly choose the Wii above the PS3 or 360 and still be taken seriously. The Wii is the system that a PS3/360 owner will buy as a secondary system -- the party system. But recent stats are showing the Wii isn't doing so hot any more now that most of the people who wanted one have one, and I can sense a bit of desperation. I wouldn't be shocked if a price drop came sometime this year, but I digress from the topic...

For me, though, and for the majority of gamers I think, the success of a system should be determined by the games available for it. And there is no question in my mind which system has the better games.

The PS3 since it was first released (which was far earlier than Sony wanted, hence the lack of titles ready at launch), the main positive spin for it was about "looking ahead to the games coming out for it". I've heard it referred to as the DelayStation and other such things since the games take forever to come out and that it didn't have much in terms of 1st party titles for a while.

Well, anyone who is keeping up on the modern climate of gaming should look at the PS3 as having incredible upside. They've already released two 1st party games this year that are probably better than the majority of 360 1st party titles out there: Killzone 2 and inFAMOUS. And this fall they're set to release some more exclusives like Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2, Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time, and M.A.G. to name a few. For 2010, you have some AMAZING looking games coming out like Heavy Rain, Gran Turismo 5, and The Last Guardian, as well as the release of long-awaited titles Final Fantasy XIII and God of War 3. Now, if you needed an argument on why you should buy a PS3, it's hard to look at that line-up and not get excited.

What does the 360 have coming out in the next year? Left 4 Dead 2, Forza 3, Crackdown 2, Mass Effect 2, Halo ODST, Halo: Reach, and Splinter Cell: Conviction. I'm not going to bash any of these titles because I liked Mass Effect and Splinter Cell has been a good series, but where are the IP's? Where are the fresh ideas? What games are coming out that can possibly contend with the likes of God of War 3?

For the past two years, the 360 has been earning praise at E3, largely because of their ability to snipe formerly exclusive franchises from Sony (Final Fantasy XIII a year ago and Metal Gear Solid: Rising this year). If the biggest announcement your system can make is that it has stolen another franchise from Sony and that a 6th Halo game is coming out, why should I be optimistic about the future of the franchise?

I'm a very happy PS3 owner -- I bought the Metal Gear bundle a year ago, and even though it was painful for me to swipe my card for $499 + tax, it's ended up being the best investment I've ever made. I'd be more worried if I was a 360 owner, to tell the truth. And no, the rumors of Fable 3 wouldn't alleviate my worry.

To settle another argument: the 360 is NOT better than the PS3 when it comes to RPGs. ALL PS3's are able to play PS1 games, so you have to automatically include EVERY PS1 game into the PS3's library. To ignore this fact is to ignore one of the biggest benefits of having a PS3: unlimited internal memory cards. And when you add Final Fantasy VII to the PS3's catalog of games, it instantly defeats the 360 single-handedly. Argument over.

(But if you needed another argument, I would argue that although the 360 has MORE RPG's, that doesn't equal better. Aside from Mass Effect and Fable 2 -- neither of which is a traditional RPG anyway -- almost every RPG released on the 360 in the past year has been garbage: Lost Odyssey, Last Remnant, Infinite Undiscovery, Star Ocean. In fact, Last Remnant and another RPG, Tales of Vesperia, are coming to PS3 this year supposedly, so those will no longer be exclusive. And with Bioware making Dragon Age Origins their first multi-console title, I would not be surprised in the least if Mass Effect 2 wound up on PS3 as well, even if it is a port. The PS3 with Disgaea 3 and Valkyria Chronicles alone is kind of barren, but more games will soon be on the way.)

There, that's my rant for the day. Long live the PS3!!

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've been using my PS3 a lot more for gaming then when I originally wrote my post.

I still use it for media streaming and all that other cool stuff... I can also see myself using it even more as time goes on as there are a large amount of games I want.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Masa

Fightin' Nac Mac Feegle

418570 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Noot":27p3iysz]If you are a gamer, you can't possibly choose the Wii above the PS3 or 360 and still be taken seriously. The Wii is the system that a PS3/360 owner will buy as a secondary system -- the party system. But recent stats are showing the Wii isn't doing so hot any more now that most of the people who wanted one have one, and I can sense a bit of desperation. I wouldn't be shocked if a price drop came sometime this year, but I digress from the topic...

I chose the Wii over both of them and very much consider myself a serious gamer. I bought the 360 as a secondary console since it tends to have the better side of games on the PS3/360 war front, but the Wii is very much my preferred console to play. While it's certainly true the console is plagued by shovelware, it's still a console with solid titles. I only picked up a 360 this year because this year has been all around crappy for video game releases, so I've been entertaining myself with the Xbox's back catalog of games. That aside, if the Wii is faltering, then a price drop will certainly spurn it back into action. Mostly however it's only suffering because of the recession (and a rather poor release schedule this year), as is the PS3 and 360.

More to the point, I don't buy into the PS3 ten year life cycle. If anything, I would anticipate the PS4 being the first of the next gen consoles, just so Sony can get a leg up on the competition and regain some of their lost momentum. But that's only if Microsoft doesn't go blazing forth with a new generation console prematurely, which wouldn't surprise me. The 360 may have a better game library, but damn if that thing doesn't try and nickle and dime you to death.

Though that bit aside, I'm thinking that the next generation of consoles is going to be a very hard sell, and that's even if we're in a better economy. Everyone is pushing towards new innovation, because there seems to be an awareness that people aren't going to be willing to pay in another 300-400 bucks admission fee just to get into the next generation of games. I know I'm not that crazy about buying the next Xbox or Playstation just for better graphics. The determining factor of the next generation is who can come up with the "new Wii Remote" that will make the next console worth buying.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Is the PS3 a sinking ship for Sony? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If there was still 'gameplay' in games like Metal gear Solid (where it's not all 80% movie clip) or press 'A' to duck a attack or change a action in a cut scene then I would have considered buying a next gen console. From my point of view the graphics have got a lot better but the new approcah to gameplay is no longer there. I know GTA4 is a great game but it dosen't appeal to me, with exception to other features, the doing missions in a linear direction is still there. If the consoles were cheaper then perhaps i would get it rather then seeing it played at work (paitents/service users at the hospital play them)

I have tried the wii at my friend's though and it is a work of art, it manages to reinvent gameplay, granted the wii has brought in the trend of 'mini games' but it has made the game more fun to play co-op then with other consoles.

However, the style of gaming overall has remained unchanged and i just have no intrest in it, the problem with so many games being cutscene driven and that needs to change. Only the wii is something I'm tempted to buy but espacilly in this economic climate the currant next gen consoles are not worth the selling price and of the lack of innovation in gameplay as well.

Quote:
To settle another argument: the 360 is NOT better than the PS3 when it comes to RPGs. ALL PS3's are able to play PS1 games, so you have to automatically include EVERY PS1 game into the PS3's library. To ignore this fact is to ignore one of the biggest benefits of having a PS3: unlimited internal memory cards. And when you add Final Fantasy VII to the PS3's catalog of games, it instantly defeats the 360 single-handedly. Argument over.

I disagree with this being a major benefit, it's more of a minor gimmick, you don't spend nearly $500 worth just so you can replay PS1 games, you expect more out of a console then just to offer a token of nostalga and if that was the main intended benefit then people are better off buying a PS1 off ebay with games included. Of course with the high modern appeal of new games, just how many actually replay the old games?
Master Mathiu

16500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Is the PS3 a sinking ship for Sony? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Korgeta":q4yvraw6]If there was still 'gameplay' in games like Metal gear Solid (where it's not all 80% movie clip) or press 'A' to duck a attack or change a action in a cut scene then I would have considered buying a next gen console. From my point of view the graphics have got a lot better but the new approcah to gameplay is no longer there. I know GTA4 is a great game but it dosen't appeal to me, with exception to other features, the doing missions in a linear direction is still there. If the consoles were cheaper then perhaps i would get it rather then seeing it played at work (paitents/service users at the hospital play them)

I have tried the wii at my friend's though and it is a work of art, it manages to reinvent gameplay, granted the wii has brought in the trend of 'mini games' but it has made the game more fun to play co-op then with other consoles.

However, the style of gaming overall has remained unchanged and i just have no intrest in it, the problem with so many games being cutscene driven and that needs to change. Only the wii is something I'm tempted to buy but espacilly in this economic climate the currant next gen consoles are not worth the selling price and of the lack of innovation in gameplay as well.

I disagree with this being a major benefit, it's more of a minor gimmick, you don't spend nearly $500 worth just so you can replay PS1 games, you expect more out of a console then just to offer a token of nostalga and if that was the main intended benefit then people are better off buying a PS1 off ebay with games included. Of course with the high modern appeal of new games, just how many actually replay the old games?

There still is gameplay within MGS4, a hell of a lot of it infact. Up the level of the game and you'll find it extremely challenging and time consuming. Lengthy cut scenes are what make the MGS games better. It was the same as the previous titles just ahell of a lot better. And what I dont get about this arguement is the fact that most of the people that say it are RPG fans. RPG's are full of dialogue and "cutscenes" shall we say. The difference being you dont have to sit and press X to move on everytime someone says something. It brings movies and games together and I think its a good thing, rather than a bad.

As for the PS3 sinking....... I am a proud PS3 owner and have been since release. I am also a 360 owner. Im fortunate to be able to be able to afford both systems but my PS3 is by far the main console I use. I use it like others for media streaming a lot. Gaming and blu ray movies however are the main use of my PS3. Im a tad obsessed with Hi Definition and love watching any movies I can that are in Blu Ray. Blu Ray is another funny subect just while im here talking about it. A lot of people still dont believe in it. Personally, I cant see how? I can clearly see the difference. It makes my viewing a lot more enjoyable to see the crisp clear pictures and hearing the perfect sound through TrueHD. I heard someone the other day compare Blu Ray to BETAMAX. Saying that it will die out soon enough and that its pointless. Now is it just me or is that total crap? Ha!

I think the PS3 will span longer than other gaming consoles. I honestly think thats how Sony intended it from the start. I think the PS4 will come out while the PS3 is still running strong.

They way I see it is if you want a gaming console for just its titles. You buy a 360.

If you want a gaming console to appreciate the potential of what next gen gaming is all about you buy a PS3. It does lack a wide range of titles at theminute but its slowly growing. THe ones it does have however are unquestionably fantastic. But its not just a console is it. Its a media centre. A "Hi Def movie machine". A "techno gadget". Its special.

One of the things I love about it also is the fact you can upgrade the HDD. I have a 60gb PAL PS3 (PS2 BC) but have a 500gb HDD installed in to it and its so easy to do. It cost me less than it would cost me for a 60GB 360 HDD. So now I can store all my media files on there as well as everywhere else. It fits perfectly in to my home network.

And although many wont think this is aplus side..... It hasnt been hacked yet.
Masa

Fightin' Nac Mac Feegle

418570 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the PS3 a sinking ship for Sony? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Korgeta":2cu8l7aj]
Quote:

In any case, the best system for RPGs is the Nintendo DS anyways, because that has the back catalog of GBA games as well. And besides that, the current portable market for RPGs seems to be doing better than console RPGs are.

[quote="Master Mathiu":2cu8l7aj]I think the PS3 will span longer than other gaming consoles. I honestly think thats how Sony intended it from the start. I think the PS4 will come out while the PS3 is still running strong.

I find this idea kind of naive. It's not a matter of how powerful a system is, but a matter of how popular it is. Traditionally when the never generation comes out, the previous consoles all die off immediately. All of them except the 'winner' of the last generation. The NES had something of a life in the SNES/Genesis era, likewise the SNES managed to survive for awhile in the PS1/N64 generation. The PS1 survived for a good while in the PS2/GCN/Xbox generation and the PS2 is still surviving into this generation, though it's on its way out. What's interesting is that the PS2 was the weakest console of the last generation in terms of power.

Given that, if any system is going to survive into the next generation, it's going to be the 360 or Wii. And I only say that because while the Wii is definitely the number one console right now, I'm not sure it will remain a strong contender when the Nintendo's 6th console comes out.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Is the PS3 a sinking ship for Sony? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Noot":1agvgi3j]I think there's no longer a debate that the PS3 has the better hardware, but it's a double-edged sword. It takes developers longer to program for it since it's unfamiliar terrain, and so there are less games available on the system (that, or most multi-console games are developed for 360 or PC then ported over to PS3, and it doesn't look as great). Historically, though, the system with the better hardware is never the one that does the best in sales.

In terms of the console wars, I think it's unfair to point at sales as the deciding indicator. The last sales stats I saw said the 360 is out-selling the PS3 by almost 2:1. But I wonder how many of those 360 sales are people purchasing a 2nd or 3rd system to replace a broken one? Just wondering.

And the Wii is destroying everything, but that doesn't really count to me. The Wii is, and always has been, a gimmick for Nintendo. One look at the titles for it shows how much garbage is produced for the Wii simply because it takes 10 people to program it and costs nothing for the company to make. Then the games are sold for $39.99 or something, and Nintendo makes bank if just a fraction of the games are sold. If you are a gamer, you can't possibly choose the Wii above the PS3 or 360 and still be taken seriously. The Wii is the system that a PS3/360 owner will buy as a secondary system -- the party system. But recent stats are showing the Wii isn't doing so hot any more now that most of the people who wanted one have one, and I can sense a bit of desperation. I wouldn't be shocked if a price drop came sometime this year, but I digress from the topic...

For me, though, and for the majority of gamers I think, the success of a system should be determined by the games available for it. And there is no question in my mind which system has the better games.

The PS3 since it was first released (which was far earlier than Sony wanted, hence the lack of titles ready at launch), the main positive spin for it was about "looking ahead to the games coming out for it". I've heard it referred to as the DelayStation and other such things since the games take forever to come out and that it didn't have much in terms of 1st party titles for a while.

Well, anyone who is keeping up on the modern climate of gaming should look at the PS3 as having incredible upside. They've already released two 1st party games this year that are probably better than the majority of 360 1st party titles out there: Killzone 2 and inFAMOUS. And this fall they're set to release some more exclusives like Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2, Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time, and M.A.G. to name a few. For 2010, you have some AMAZING looking games coming out like Heavy Rain, Gran Turismo 5, and The Last Guardian, as well as the release of long-awaited titles Final Fantasy XIII and God of War 3. Now, if you needed an argument on why you should buy a PS3, it's hard to look at that line-up and not get excited.

What does the 360 have coming out in the next year? Left 4 Dead 2, Forza 3, Crackdown 2, Mass Effect 2, Halo ODST, Halo: Reach, and Splinter Cell: Conviction. I'm not going to bash any of these titles because I liked Mass Effect and Splinter Cell has been a good series, but where are the IP's? Where are the fresh ideas? What games are coming out that can possibly contend with the likes of God of War 3?

For the past two years, the 360 has been earning praise at E3, largely because of their ability to snipe formerly exclusive franchises from Sony (Final Fantasy XIII a year ago and Metal Gear Solid: Rising this year). If the biggest announcement your system can make is that it has stolen another franchise from Sony and that a 6th Halo game is coming out, why should I be optimistic about the future of the franchise?

I'm a very happy PS3 owner -- I bought the Metal Gear bundle a year ago, and even though it was painful for me to swipe my card for $499 + tax, it's ended up being the best investment I've ever made. I'd be more worried if I was a 360 owner, to tell the truth. And no, the rumors of Fable 3 wouldn't alleviate my worry.

(But if you needed another argument, I would argue that although the 360 has MORE RPG's, that doesn't equal better. Aside from Mass Effect and Fable 2 -- neither of which is a traditional RPG anyway -- almost every RPG released on the 360 in the past year has been garbage: Lost Odyssey, Last Remnant, Infinite Undiscovery, Star Ocean. In fact, Last Remnant and another RPG, Tales of Vesperia, are coming to PS3 this year supposedly, so those will no longer be exclusive. And with Bioware making Dragon Age Origins their first multi-console title, I would not be surprised in the least if Mass Effect 2 wound up on PS3 as well, even if it is a port. The PS3 with Disgaea 3 and Valkyria Chronicles alone is kind of barren, but more games will soon be on the way.)

There, that's my rant for the day. Long live the PS3!!

I don't usually do this, but - HOLY POOP MONKEY. Do you work for Sony, and did they pay you to say this? This too crazy to be real.

Phrases like "proud PS3 owner," "[serious] gamer," and "stolen another franchise" genuinely confuse me.

I find it strange you say to watch as the PS3 becomes the leader in quality games and also point out that the Wii's sales dwarf the competition and that many more games made for the PS3 will be ported to the other two than vice versa.

I also find it strange that you count the PS1 games as a plus for the PS3 but don't count the XBox games as a plus for the XBox360 or the assortment of games being released via download from previous Nintendo consoles as a plus for the Wii, and how you think $300+ for PS1 and PS3 compatability beats out $50 for PS1 compatability and $100 for PS1 and PS2 compatability.

I also find it bizarre how you use Final Fantasy 13 as a reason to purchase a PS3 over an XBox360.

It sounds like you either think everyone thinks and feels exactly as you do, you alone have absolute control over the free market, or you are rationalizing your action of purchasing a PS3 when it was so expensive.

As far as the PS3 being a sinking ship for Sony's gaming console department, I don't think it is. I actually think the PS2 is what did this. They had a tremendous upperhand after the first Playstation and blew it big by making millions of defective products and violating court order after court order. They can pass the defect off as a blunder, but repeatedly violating the court orders was both intentional and criminal. I simply don't see them ever regaining sufficient consumer confidence after that.
Cyril De Montague

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have to agree, I don't think it's a sinking ship either, it's only a matter of time before it has alot more games come out for it, I suppose it does'nt have as much games out as the Wii or Xbox 360 does yet but in terms of quality and greater gaming experience I say the PS3 is the leading console of it's generation, Only thing I don't like is having to upgrade the HDD I am running on a 20gb and I'm in need of upgrading some it gets annoying having to delete utility data from the games you already beated when you buy a new game.
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Is the PS3 a sinking ship for Sony? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="stephencolbert5":3u52sgm7]As far as the PS3 being a sinking ship for Sony's gaming console department, I don't think it is. I actually think the PS2 is what did this. They had a tremendous upperhand after the first Playstation and blew it big by making millions of defective products and violating court order after court order. They can pass the defect off as a blunder, but repeatedly violating the court orders was both intentional and criminal. I simply don't see them ever regaining sufficient consumer confidence after that.

Wait, what's this? I don't remember ever hearing of court orders and defective products in regards to the PS2! Are you sure your not confusing it with XBOX 360?

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Sami

Liberating Swords

199204 Potch
27 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the PS3 a sinking ship for Sony? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="TruePerception":a8krpa8x]Wait, what's this? I don't remember ever hearing of court orders and defective products in regards to the PS2! Are you sure your not confusing it with XBOX 360?

It did happen you know. The PS2 "Disc Read Error" was so bad that there was a class action lawsuit against them. [url:a8krpa8x]http://video-games.elliottback.com/sony-settl es-ps2-lawsuit/[/url:a8krpa8x]

MS handled it differently by offering repairs and extended warranty.

Anyways, yeah, the PS3 is doing kind of badly, it'll probably never be the number 1 console in game selection or popularity like PS1 and PS2 were, but they're not going bankrupt either. Who knows what the PlayStation 4 or whatever Sony's next console is named will be like?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: