Suikoden Urgent and Irenic Knowledge Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Is the PS3 a sinking ship for Sony?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Is the PS3 a sinking ship for Sony? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The three new consoles are now several years into their lifespan. Each system have their advantages and disadvantages. So far, Nintendo's Wii system has dominated the market in terms of units sold while the 360 has dominated the field in terms of software sold with an unheard of 8.1 attachment rate. Where does this leave Sony's flagship consumer electronic system the PS3. The latest Sony Playstation system doesn't dominate the market in terms of units sold and barely keeping pace, and most of the time lagging behind the 360 in terms of software sold for its system. What it does have over the other two competing systems is in its untapped potential just waiting to be finally unleashed not just on gamers but on the general market.

I think everyone would by now agree that the PS3 is the superior system in terms of system specs. It's the only gaming console to utilize Sony's proprietary new digital format, Blu-Ray and a fast and advanced new form of CPU in CELL. Those two new technological advancements alone would've and should've signalled success for the PS3 but it hasn't. Is the PS3 just too new and too advanced not just for gamers and the casual market but for game developers as well.

The Wii has been a success due to its low-cost nature and very casual appeal. The 360 had over a year to penetrate the market ahead of its competitors and only the RROD problem has kept it from dominating the market early on. Yet, despite the hardware debacle that is the RROD it has maintained a steady lead over the PS3 and actually made Microsoft's entertainment division a profit for the past year despite the cost of RROD system replacements and price-cuts. The PS3 still remains the priciest of the 3 consoles. Sure, it remains as the console to have the most bells and whistles for the buck, but while that is true the price of 400 for a console is an image that can't seem to sell itself well to the general public.

So, with everyone agreeing that the PS3 is the best system out there in terms of specs why then does it continue to lag behind the Wii and the 360 in the market. Has Sony been hit harder by the global economic recession than the other two companies? Have the initial release marketing of the PS3 hurt the system too much for it to recover? Did Sony's format war against the competing HD-DVD for the next hi-def standard hurt the PS3 in the end? Or is it still too early to call the PS3 a sinking ship, flop, etc?

Below are some articles which gives some example of why the PS3's advantages may not be enough to help it surpass its competitors.

[url=http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&si d=al_gJi.6JpaM&refer=us:323fkpe9]Nintendo Leaves Rivals Feeling Brunt of Recession[/url:323fkpe9]
[url=http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/siliconalley/perso nal-tech/2008_12_sonys_ps3_a_sinking_ship_sales_plummet_sne.html:32 3fkpe9]Sony's PS3 A Sinking Ship: Sales Plummet[/url:323fkpe9]
[url=http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/sony-should-be- worried-about-ps3-say-analysts/?biz=1:323fkpe9]Sony 'Should be Worried' About PS3, say Analysts[/url:323fkpe9]

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Though it wasn't an issue at the launch of the PS3, one strike against the console would be it's incompatibility with PS2 software. It is still compatible with PSX software, but its lack of support for the most recent generation is something which gives the rival consoles an advantage over it. I haven't picked up any of the current generation systems as there has yet to be anything which is not also released on the PS2 to convince me to upgrade.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sony announced that the PS3 was going to last like 10 years or something, in terms of that predicted lifespan its still not doing great but its unlikely to disappear. With the current console wars as they are the biggest winners are PC gamers IMO, many games are being released cross console and on PC to boot. I've not touched any console games for around a year now - with so much coming to PC anyway there's hardly any point.

51948 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

PS3 planned for 10 years? i read an article that is either a rumor or info leak that Sony is considering investing less into PS4, possibly combining multiple CELL processors instead of creating a new one.

i believe PS3 failed due to the price of the system, lack of unique killer games/apps, the failed launch and confusing multiple versions of the system, and later the compatibility issues (i was told they gave up on supporting PS2 games altogether for the newer systems, is that true?).
price: price would not have been that much of an issue if the Wii hadn't shown up. w/out the presence of the Wii, the only choice would be 360 and PS3, which were around the same price early on. the pure technology resources the system needs (like blu-ray) is keeping the price high, while the 360 has been able to reduce its prices to get more competitive with the Wii. that leaves PS3 in its own price range and makes even more eyes turn to alternate systems.
lack of killer apps: Metal Gear Solid may have been pretty popular, but the other systems have had many more appealing games that help sell their systems, and the multi-platform games including huge hits like Guitar Hero (that definitely get people to buy a system) have been boosting sales for the cheaper systems.
multiple systems and compatibility issues: it seems like Sony launched a new version of their system every freaking month for an entire year; normal people will not bother to keep up with such nonsense. the 360 also has multiple versions...

a huge selling point for the PS3 was expected to be the Blu-ray player, but this media form is in its early stages of penetrating the market. however, i believe this feature will help sell the system in the future as HDTVs become the normal television in most households. Sony will still need to work on exclusive killer game deals OR lower the price of its system to better compete with the 360. i don't expect any next-gen system to out-do the Wii simply because the Wii appeals to a much broader audience.
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="KFCrispy":vqvv239t]i believe PS3 failed due to the price of the system, lack of unique killer games/apps, the failed launch and confusing multiple versions of the system, and later the compatibility issues (i was told they gave up on supporting PS2 games altogether for the newer systems, is that true?).

As far as I can tell, yes. The latest versions of the PS3 I have seen in store have a label on the box stating it does not support PlayStation 2 software. It looks like there is only one version of the 80gig PS3 which is compatible with PS2 software, that being the one which has four USB ports. Naturally, it is no longer in production, so you'd have to be really lucky to find one.

What I would really like for a potential PlayStation 4 is for Sony to say "Let Microsoft fill their system which as much non-gaming related stuff they want" and take an approach similar to what Nintendo did with the Wii. Just provide a good gaming system, without turning it into a DVD/Blu-ray, video recorder, microwave, whatever type of hybrid. If you want further proof, look at the Wii, it doesn't echo Microsoft's vision of a portable PC but it's still outselling the competition.

Since all of the PlayStation brand software is disc-based, give me a system which supports their entire library and I will support it. As it is, it looks like I will have to buy a new PS2 in the event my current system decides it's time to retire.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like that my PS3 is an all-in-one media centre. I play my Blu-ray movies on it and I have it hooked up wirelessly to my home network to stream movie and music from another one of my computers. My TV has a decent soundsystem so streaming MP3's through there works out pretty good. If the PS3 didn't do all that, I would probably not use it as much as I do.

I'm also one of the lucky ones who owns the 80GB that can play PS2 games. Right now I've been playing Suikoden 3 on it. I have played Suikoden 5, Final Fantasy XII and a few other games... I also downloaded Suikoden 1 on it too just recently :)

As to the question at hand; is the PS3 a sinking ship? I don't think so... in fact, I think the PS3 launched exactly like the PS2 did. The PS2 had crap for games when it came out... it wasn't until Metal Gear Solid 2, Gran Turismo 3 and Final Fantasy X that it really began to launch solid games if my memory serves me correctly. The difference this 'generation' however is that the Xbox360 and Wii are huge competitors when the PS2 had nothing to worry about.

So, I don't think that the PS3 is a sinking ship yet. I do however think it is treading water right now. MGS4's momentum can only carry it so far and that has run out I would imagine. In the end, this generation it's been games that move systems, not the other way around.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Overdose

Space Monkey Punks From Japan

349252 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm buying one today, I definately am happy supporting sony still, Ive had people I know complaining about their 360s breaking down and i will maybe get a wii sometime when it gets stupidly cheap. I do not think it's a sinking ship at all, it had enough exclusive games to pull my interest (the games I want like MGS4, things like Gears of War 2 do not interest me).

FOREVER X!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Is the PS3 a sinking ship for Sony? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As a PS3 owner, I would say the biggest issue with the system is the lack of software. Nintendo has it's first party exclusives, as well as some exclusives that actually make good use of the Wiimote (Trauma Center, for example), and the XBox has almost all of the PS3's great 3rd party games as well as a lot of exclusives. This is especially noticeable with RPGs (between PS3 and XBox360), essentially the only genre I play. The PS3 currently has Folklore (which is more action/adventure than RPG), Eternal Sonata (which is good but nothing spectacular), Fallout3, and Valkyria Chronicles (THE reason to be a PS3-owning RPGer). Meanwhile, the XBox360 appears to be entirely favored by some of the biggest RPG developers, Mistwalker (its only console RPGs as of now have been on X360) and SquareEnix (more on them later), and has a few other exclusive RPGs otherwise (Tales of Vesperia, FableII, Mass Effect). Of course, the RPG market is pretty dry compared to last gen overall so far. Development for PS3 is also apparently very difficult due to Sony's development kits, but that's something that can be fixed/helped later.

I'm especially unhappy with SquareEnix. I know some people are angry that SE isn't being Sony-only like they were for the most part last generation, but I'd prefer that they treated all consoles equally. Unfortunately, they're not. Now, they seem to be entirely favoring X360 (and even Nintendo, which is getting all sorts of casual games). The PS3 has The Last Remnant (supposedly, although we're still waiting on something more than TBA), FFversusXIII, and FFXIII. That's IT! Meanwhile, the X360 also has FFXIII as well (with same release date as PS3 version) plus Infinite Undiscovery, Star Ocean IV, and timed exclusive of Last Remnant. Sorry for the rant, I'm just really frustrated with SE's uneven support.

Anyways, I don't think the PS3 is going to sink Sony. As others have stated, the PS3 is intended to have a very long lifespan. Sony probably won't have to do anything more than minor system updates when the next Nintendo and Microsoft systems come out. While things are looking pretty dire for the system right now, I think that'll turn around in a year or two. I'm really hoping the RPG market picks up in general very soon. And if X360 appears to be the PS2 of last generation in terms of RPGs, I'll just buy one. I'm not loyal to one company in general, I'm just not made of cash.

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Elc":pnlo0qi0][quote="KFCrispy":pnlo0qi0]i believe PS3 failed due to the price of the system, lack of unique killer games/apps, the failed launch and confusing multiple versions of the system, and later the compatibility issues (i was told they gave up on supporting PS2 games altogether for the newer systems, is that true?).

As far as I can tell, yes. The latest versions of the PS3 I have seen in store have a label on the box stating it does not support PlayStation 2 software. It looks like there is only one version of the 80gig PS3 which is compatible with PS2 software, that being the one which has four USB ports. Naturally, it is no longer in production, so you'd have to be really lucky to find one.

What I would really like for a potential PlayStation 4 is for Sony to say "Let Microsoft fill their system which as much non-gaming related stuff they want" and take an approach similar to what Nintendo did with the Wii. Just provide a good gaming system, without turning it into a DVD/Blu-ray, video recorder, microwave, whatever type of hybrid. If you want further proof, look at the Wii, it doesn't echo Microsoft's vision of a portable PC but it's still outselling the competition.

Since all of the PlayStation brand software is disc-based, give me a system which supports their entire library and I will support it. As it is, it looks like I will have to buy a new PS2 in the event my current system decides it's time to retire.

I completely agree with all that! I have a feeling that if the Wii had HD support, it would be THE #1 system of this generation by far (able to play both it's Wiimote games as well as all the hardcore fancy-graphics games on the other systems). While being able to watch movies, view images, blah blah blah on my gaming system is convenient, I would much rather have a cheaper system that is more focused on gaming.

Desert Elite

357208 Potch
0 Soldiers
4283 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="fuji":2rh90qk6]I like that my PS3 is an all-in-one media centre. I play my Blu-ray movies on it and I have it hooked up wirelessly to my home network to stream movie and music from another one of my computers.

You'll have to show me how to do this - it sounds pretty useful.

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Decado":31h0dtq6][quote="fuji":31h0dtq6]I like that my PS3 is an all-in-one media centre. I play my Blu-ray movies on it and I have it hooked up wirelessly to my home network to stream movie and music from another one of my computers.

This! :P

Is that 'Play TV' ??
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Decado":7xctbxm3][quote="fuji":7xctbxm3]I like that my PS3 is an all-in-one media centre. I play my Blu-ray movies on it and I have it hooked up wirelessly to my home network to stream movie and music from another one of my computers.

I run a debian based server at home for various web projects as you know. Well, it's also got a few large HDDs that I use to serve MP3s and other media to the laptop and the desktop (and the PS3).

Anyway, the software I use is called [url=http://mediatomb.cc/:7xctbxm3]MediaTomb[/url:7xctbxm3]. There are a large amount of other software that can do this. Windows XP Media does it... I think Windows Media Player has some kind of service to do it too. THe technology that is required is called "DLNA". I think it stands for Digital Living Network Adapter or something asinine like that. Anyway if you do a search on google for "DLNA windows" or something like that, it should be enough to get you started.

I have it hooked up via my wireless router. My server plugs into the router, which provides WiFi to the PS3. The PS3 can output a true 1080p signal and can do the conversion of just about all audio codecs as pcm which most, if not all receivers can handle.

So this post isn't completely off-topic... this is one of the reasons I think the PS3 still has a future. The ability to act as a media centre/blu-ray player/dvd player/stream music/video and even plays games too!

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Decado

Desert Elite

357208 Potch
0 Soldiers
4283 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

*ignores off-topicness*

After a little research it seems that Windows Media Player 11 has the capability to act as a DLNA Media Server - head to Tools -> Options -> Library -> Config Sharing (or click the Library Tab and choose Media Sharing) and it seems pretty easy to set up.

Once I get my PC back I'll experiment with it.

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="fuji":30citp50]So this post isn't completely off-topic... this is one of the reasons I think the PS3 still has a future. The ability to act as a media centre/blu-ray player/dvd player/stream music/video and even plays games too!

But shouldn't it be the other way around in order for it to be called a console? "It plays games and can even act as a media cenre/blu-ray player/dvd player/stream music/video too!" It's marketed that way, but if it's not used that way, then I think Sony's marketing is off.

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Decado":1fc0ynwp]*ignores off-topicness*

After a little research it seems that Windows Media Player 11 has the capability to act as a DLNA Media Server - head to Tools -> Options -> Library -> Config Sharing (or click the Library Tab and choose Media Sharing) and it seems pretty easy to set up.

Once I get my PC back I'll experiment with it.

I can confirm this, since I have this working myself. I'm able to stream pictures, music, and video to my PS3 from my PC. Handy, if you're dealing with limited disk space.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: