Suikoden Uncouth and Illegal Karma Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden 6: in sprites?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkCalibur

46980 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Suikoden 6: in sprites? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

well im kinda mising the old sprites (like in S2)
what do you guys think?
Onix

26611 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That would be nice. :) But I guess it would all 3D.

"It shall be engraved upon your very soul!" Hrist Valkyrie (VP2)
Sami

Liberating Swords

199204 Potch
27 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If they're making Tierkreis on DS with polygonal 3D models, there's no way that they will go back to sprites on any system, except for maybe the loading screens (which DS doesn't have). The best we might hope is for another game with gorgeous 2D backgrounds like Tierkreis.
ThricebornPhoenix

Phoenix Legion

102576 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Suikoden 6: in sprites? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd hesitate to say that it's impossible. Unlikely, yes, but 2D seems to be making a bit of a comeback, and the first two Suikodens - despite being Playstation games - were almost exclusively sprite-based. As for a preference between sprites and polygons, I don't think I really have one. I love to explore 3D environments, but sprites can be quite beautiful... and I'm not above indulging in nostalgia from time to time.

I'd hope that VI would look better than II either way, though.
"[...] even a seemingly purposeless miracle is an inexhaustible source of hope, because it proves to us that since we do not understand everything, our defeats—so much more numerous than our few and empty victories—may be equally specious."
Zaj

The Lone Gunmen

31884 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Sami":2ox3wgox]If they're making Tierkreis on DS with polygonal 3D models, there's no way that they will go back to sprites on any system

This.

But I wouldn't say it's completely out of question to have a some sort of throwback in a sidequest-minigame thing sort of like how Suikoden IV had that "Suikoden I war" minigame.

Maybe a flashback scene? Or a Viki warp? Or a when a time governing true rune is introduced to the series (directed and produced by Junko Kawano) it has the power to turn characters into sprites.

Let our mercy, as deep as the Feitas, and our authority, as powerful as the Sun, be revealed to the entire World.
hugosdad

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If it was for the DS maybe but judging by the look of Tierkreis I doubt it. Personally, I feel that the Suikoden series needs to look look polished in 3D. I know games like the Atelier series have excellent 2D graphics but I would like to see an upgraded of Suikoden 3's style (both graphics and gameplay) because I believe that game was the one giving the series mainstream attention. But of course I will be happy with playing a Suikoden IV
Javson

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Suikoden 6: in sprites? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The 3D is way better, i will agree one and two looked nice but lets be real we play the game more for the story and the fact that we can recruit so many stars. with 3D you can make finding these people more challenging or just look nicer, with so many char the world really should be bigger (at least the towns) bigger cities bigger battels keep the spirts for the convo and thats it
Rakutei

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's sad to see people associating 3D with beauty, and not 2D. There's a beauty that's present in 2D that current 3D models can not replicate without stumbling into the uncanny valley. You should note that the more photo-realistic the graphics, the more realistic the expectations are in regards to real-world physics and concepts. Suikoden wouldn't be able to pull off 3D adequately unless it was highly stylised.

Anyway, 2D also allows for more detail in animation. If Tierkreis had sprites the quality of their environments, it would have been a spectacular visual effort. Even moreso if they gave up maps instead of menus.
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As long as Suikoden VI doesn't end up with a backlash for having sprites on a current gen console the way Disgaea 3 did, then why not? Konami can't seem to get their act right with 3D Suikoden anyhow. Loading times, awkward camera angles, sparkly blood, etc.

Hope it won't bring down the sales even further that they might just kill off the franchise altogether, is all.
Archpark

64097 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Suikoden 6: in sprites? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've been satisfied with Suikoden's 3D... particularly Suikoden III seemed to carry the spirit of the 2D sprites pretty sufficiently.
Rakutei

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There are ways to work with 2D in a way so it is more than "just sprites". Take Muramasa: The Demon Blade for example. Hand drawn visuals for a 2D game on Wii.
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Muramasa's 2D isn't considered sprites, is it?
Rakutei

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It isn't considered sprites, no, but that's what I was saying in regards to working with 2D.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: