Suikoden Uncouth and Illegal Kraalesque Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Nintendo Power Article **NEW ARTICLE**(added:Oct15)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Tierkreis Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The thing that defines a side game for me is the lack of collecting the 108 stars of destiny. This may a be a somewhat semi-side game, because as it appears, you may be collecting the 108 stars, but you may or may not record them on the tablet of destiny, considering they already failed their destiny, more or less. (how does one fail their destiny, anyways?)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Agahnim

Endurvakning

932410 Potch
200 Soldiers
36 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I guess they don't 'fail' their destiny, I suppose in those terms they were probably 'meant' to lose that battle and then regroup. Unless the bad guy we're dealing with warps the space time continuum, and other madness.

"The strong manly ones in life are those who understand the meaning of the word patience."
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've just gotten the next volume of Nintendo Power and it has a slightly longer article featuring Tierkries again.

Stand by for more scans on this new article.........

EDIT:
Scans of the new article HAVE NOW BEEN ADDED TO THE FIRST POST

-----------------------
I didn't finish reading through the article before I rushed to scan it and slap it on here...but I did see it mention that the "resurrection system" won't be in the final game........

Awwwwwwwww...that "system" actually sounded fun....in my opinion....

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Onimaru

Perverted Old Men

3407 Potch
954 Soldiers
86 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

wtf!?!?!?!??!?! NO Vicky and Jeane?!

I hate you Onimaru.
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No one-on-one duel, no strategic battles, and no True runes either........

"This is a new game and it's completely different from previous Suikoden titles, so all the characters are new as well"

....well I can see a bunch of fans ditching their interest in this game now...
(not me though...aha)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Crono

Something Wicked

162570 Potch
200 Soldiers
40 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No returning locations either...I'm kinda more upset about that than no returning characters. The parallel worlds really is a convenient excuse for them to do that. Still, it would be nice to see some parts from "our" Suiko world merge over when stuff starts getting extra-dimensional.
We have an urge to kill
And our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
We'll fight 'till the end, and send our enemies straight to hell!"
shaolin_swordsman

47140 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I had already accepted that there wouldn't be any returning characters and that the weapon system and magic system had been changed. The whole lack of variation within the battle system is a big shocker though, I was under the impression that duels and large scale battles had been confirmed already. Then again so had this ressurection angle which has now been cast aside.
It does mention multi party skirmishes as part of a larger battle system, so I'm going to bet on something similar to IIIs attempt at a war system. Less said about that the better though.
It's nice to know that we have a full HQ and cast of 108 stars though, that alone makes me very, very excited. Here's hoping the HQ is as creative as Vs.
What a laugh though claiming that by playing this game we'll "find the secrets of Suikoden" after confirming that the game has 0 links to previous titles. Cheeky sod.
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When I read that bit about the "multi-party skirmishes" the first thing that came to mind was the kind of...."final dungeon" battles that Suiko4 and Suiko5 had o.o;

you know....tag-team/swapping between several parties kind of battles? :? hmm....

I'm a little hesitant of that bit about the "whole game being mission-based" sort of bit......reminds me too much of Tactics (which I bloody never finished) and "battles don't drop potch"?!
whuuuuut??

The story still seems intriguing to me though....even though all the traditional stuff has pretty much been scrapped =e

Onimaru

Perverted Old Men

3407 Potch
954 Soldiers
86 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ok, well - would it be safe to assume that this is something of a side story for the Suikoden Series? It's either that or the Konami development team has decided to ditch the series history and go for a more Final Fantasy approach by mixing up the locals and history of each game to keep things "fresh". Am I dissapointed? sure, but I'm still going to get a DS and get the game. However I have to say that this has a "Crystal Cronicals" feel to me - a branch from the main titles that just uses the series brand name to rake in dough. It's probably going to be a flop, le sigh. Hopefully they still plan on putting out a numbered game and if this does well we can expect a swell in Konami's budget for the series to prompt them to deliver a Suikoden VI.

or not, blegh.

P.S. - I blame sami for this, obviously some Konami rep got onto the site and read his fantatical calling about the virtues of the nintendo DS and decided to embark on this project. Thanks Sami, you ruined the series! BOOOOOO!

I hate you Onimaru.
Darkbeat

Location: The school of making funny locations for my forum profile
102756 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No True Runes - No Suikoden.

Meh, I'm not that upset I guess, it's not entirely gone, they still have the 108 and a full HQ. I suppose for the most part, they felt a change was necessary to bring in new fans to the series, better doing it on Tierkries than on a numbered Suikoden I guess.

Then again, this could only further alienate the shrinking Suikoden fanbase for nothing, if it's done wrong. It really doesn't sound much like a Suikoden at all, which kind of kills the excitement :\

Still, going to be Day One for me, but I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a boring Final Fantasy mission based clone with no implications for Suiko-verse as a whole.
Son of Liberty

17460 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think that Konami decided to use Tierkreis as a test bed because the series itself have dwindled in terms of popularity, no thanks to Suikoden IV.

I for one have no qualms regarding the changes made in Tierkreis. The war system in the series tend to be a mixed bag. This is not to say the systems are bad. Only Suiko V's was the best, yet it was very easy.

Although I'm a little disappointed that there would be no duel system, I still think it was the right choice to make. After all, to include the duel system in Tierkreis it will be a throwback to Suikoden II's duel system.

I think the most important element in Suikoden games is not the gameplay, but the recruitment of 108 stars and the stories. Changes can be made in gameplay as long as it did not became inaccessible, because the series is never known for its difficulty.

So, I am looking forward to this game. All I hope is that it will not be another Suikoden IV, which is likely because Kawano is not involved in this project.
ViktorFan

Shalimar

1825501 Potch
200 Soldiers
4195 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No Viki and Jeane?? Awesome!! :D
Sami

Liberating Swords

199204 Potch
27 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Son of Liberty wrote:
I think that Konami decided to use Tierkreis as a test bed because the series itself have dwindled in terms of popularity, no thanks to Suikoden IV.

No thanks to Suikoden III, you mean. Or no thanks to Suikoden V. The hardcore fans may have preferred S5, but commercially it did much worse in the west than S4, due to the obtuse, heavy weight of S5 compared to S4 which had gameplay systems closer to S2.

But you're right, Tierkreis seems to be Konami testing a new direction. If it doesn't catch on, Konami can still continue the main series and see if they can eke out enough profit from it to not go in the red in development. But if Tierkreis is popular enough, we might start to see the Tierkreis series existing along with the numbered main series.

In this case, it would be a true spinoff series, in the actual sense of the word. Not Suikogaiden or Rhapsodia, but a completely new setting from the old team with some old elements preserved, like Frasier to Cheers or Wario Ware to Wario Land.

My guess? We will see Suikoden Tierkreis 2 before long.
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If Tierkreis wants to truly retain the spirit of the original Suikoden series then one third of the male cast will need to be either gay or of indeterminate sexuality/gender.

So why is this game even called a Suikoden game anyway? It's not the same setting. Why not just give it a new title? Suikoden isn't a big name to lure gamers in like Final Fantasy. Color me puzzled.

Sami wrote:
No thanks to Suikoden III, you mean. Or no thanks to Suikoden V. The hardcore fans may have preferred S5, but commercially it did much worse in the west than S4, due to the obtuse, heavy weight of S5 compared to S4 which had gameplay systems closer to S2.

Actually it was Suikoden 4 that turned people off to Suikoden, which is why sales were so low for Suikoden 5. And not just among the hardcore fans, but also casual fans and new players. Barely anyone joined the on-line Suikoden community when Suikoden 4 was out, but loads of people were on-line during the Suikodens 1-3 period. People bought Suikoden 4 expecting the standard that had been set before by Suikodens 1-3, and they didn't get it, so they stopped paying attention to the series. The Internet fandom almost completely died out, Internet reviews for Suikoden 4 were terrible, etc. I'm surprised Tierkreis is even getting released here. Hell, in one of these Tierkreis previews they even mention how bad Suikoden 4 killed the series' momentum.

Anyone can argue about how much they liked Suikoden 4 or how under-rated it was all they want, but the point is moot; it doesn't change the fact that the game was disliked (or, at best, met with a disappointed "meh") among most people that played it. Some people may have liked it, but most didn't. And that's the reason Suikoden 5 sold so poorly, and that's why Tierkreis is barely going to sell. What little fanbase the series managed to garner in the beginning of its run has been greatly reduced. The future of the series (and it's profitability) will rest with Suikoden 6. Tierkreis surely isn't going to take the series anywhere above where it is now; it is nothing more than a distraction. Let's just hope it's a decent distraction and not a terrible one.

Suikoden 4's gameplay was nothing like Suikoden 2's.

^Actual quote!
DarkCalibur

46980 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ViktorFan wrote:
No Viki and Jeane?? Awesome!! :D

true
they've been in every main suikoden games but they never had a larger role id say they did the right thing

but how are we gonna fast travel now D:
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Tierkreis Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: