Suikoden Unique and Inspirational Keystone Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

dissection help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: dissection help Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I need help. I honestly don't get cat dissection. See, so far we've done this:

Skinning Part I - Pass
Skinning Part II - Fail
Removal of Fats/Fascia - Grade Pending

I really want to do the fat thing right, but we didn't finish last Friday due to some problems with our cat, so we're on pending at the moment. I still have problems with the following, though:

1. Is fascia the white, plastic-looking thingy?
2. If that is fascia, how come when I remove it, there's another layer underneath?
3. How do I know I'm not cutting the muscle while cutting the fascia? I think I accidentally cut one the other day... but it was attached to the fascia... >_>

More on the cat, I guess I really suck at it. I tend to do it slow in fear of mutilating the cat or some other horrible deed, and sometimes I have difficulty since I have below average eyesight. How do people do it that fast? Am I doing something wrong? O_o

So yeah, if anyone could really help me with this, I'd appreciate it. I need to pass the damn subject. Thanks in advance!

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Seraphblade

imaginary soldiers

935122 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, the fascia is the white (sometimes with a yellowish tint) plastic-looking layer between the muscles and skin. Just keep removing the fascia if there is a significant amount impeding your view of the cat's muscles and organs. If there is still too much fat tissue after skinning the cat, you just didn't cut deep enough with your initial cut. A lot of people tend to do that fearing damaging the organs and muscles so that's normal. The muscle should be a completely different color and texture from the fascia, though it still fine if you accidentally leave a small cut on it as long as you don't completely mutilate the the muscle tissue. You will also have to cut the ribs to to view the heart and lungs. I have never been graded on the skinning process though.

I don't have any pictures of a cat dissection, but do have some of a horse and ferret I dissected a few years ago you can maybe use a reference.

*note: for those who do not like to see the graphic images within an animal's body, don't click on these

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e351/HTram/dissection/IMG_1692.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e351/HTram/dissection/IMG_1691.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e351/HTram/dissection/IMG_1678.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e351/HTram/dissection/IMG_1690.jpg
- I removed the ferret's ribs and colon in this one.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So fascia is the name for the silver skin huh?

It's not -quite- the same as butchering, but the advice is practically the same. Don't be afraid. Make solid swift movements. You're more likely to muck it up and mutilate it if you hesitate and what not.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

bump bump

Thanks for the advice ^^. I forgot to mention I got a new cat, since my first one got too destroyed by the molds. I did much, much better that time, and yeah, swift movements are tech. :P

Anyways, MOAR CAT PROBLEMS

1. How exactly am I supposed to extract the spinal chord? I know how to extract a brain, but I'm totally clueless on how to do it. I've heard someone say that I should take out the spinal column piece by piece until only the chord remains, pick that up, and piece the column back together. Is this right, or is there a less tedious way of doing it?

2. What can I use to piece bones back together? As Seraphblade said, I ended up having to cut the ribs to see most of the abdominal organs with a good view. Is superglue enough?

3. Oxalic powder. Is it true that distilled water is the only kind of water I can mix with it to form Oxalic acid? Apparently, I have to make some of this then bathe the skeleton in it to prevent it from getting destroyed or something.... should I make the mixture dilute or concentrated? Any idea on what's a good mixture?

So yeah, I'm totally confused on how to do this crap. I exposed one bone yesterday, a bone on the arm... only because you could just use your bare hands and rip the muscles off. :shock:

Bare hands with gloves.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Reinkaos was trash. It's no wonder he killed himself.

Wait what?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Educational All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: