Suikoden Ugly and Illusional Keystone Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Canadian federal election
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jowy Atreides

486378 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Canadian federal election Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, the writ has been dropped, and the 39th Canadian parliament has been dissolved. Will it be another minority government? Will the Conservatives manage to get a majority? I suspect that it will be another Conservative minority, but who knows? Polling seems to confirm my suspicions.
Oppenheimer

Les monsieurs de Narcisse

256470 Potch
0 Soldiers
1865 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It will be a Conservative majority. That's pretty much a given in my mind. Although Canada is usually a Liberal covernment run country Dion just doesn't have a good enough presence to excite the public. He has good ideas, but nowadays people just want good speeches, not good ideas.

The conservative ad campaign is sickingly sweet. Makes me want to vote against him just for that.

Queen of Falena

579729 Potch
0 Soldiers
2545847 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, it'll be a conservative majority. It might not be any time soon, but I suspect the Liberals falling into a third place in terms of power.

Jorge Prima wrote:
What? Our pokemon aren't obeying?

When a problem comes along YOU MUST WHIP IT!
Jowy Atreides

486378 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's interesting that two Canadians are saying that there will be a Conservative majority, because I haven't seen a single poll with the Conservatives over 40%. I'm not particularly trusting of polls, but every single poll has the Conservatives slightly ahead, but not far ahead enough to form a majority (some even have the Liberals slightly ahead). Any particular reason why you two think the Conservatives will form a majority? Is there something this Yank doesn't know?

Angelus, you think that the Liberals will become the third party? I don't think the New Democrats have a chance of outpacing the Liberals, and the Bloc obviously doesn't have a chance either. You did say that it may take a while, but why do you feel this way?

By the way, what's the best source for Canadian news? I just read the CBC's website, personally.
Angelus

Queen of Falena

579729 Potch
0 Soldiers
2545847 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

By "taking a while", I mean when I'm middle aged. :P My region is very NDP, and every person my age I know basically supports NDP, they're more appeal to my generation. But it could be an age thing too, maybe when my generation grows older our issues. I don't think so though.

Jorge Prima wrote:
What? Our pokemon aren't obeying?

When a problem comes along YOU MUST WHIP IT!
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've got a feeling that we're going to find ourselves with another minority Conservative government, which would essentially make this election a waste of time as we would just find ourselves back in the same position we're in now. If the none of the parties in the Opposition could come to terms with the Conservatives (with that being a major factor in calling this election) then it's only a matter of time before they bring down the government and start the cycle over again.

I don't really pay attention to the campaign commercials, as they tend to either be smear campaigns or pure propaganda. We've really got to be careful, though, otherwise we might end up re-electing Brian Mulroney by mistake...

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Oppenheimer

256470 Potch
0 Soldiers
1865 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the gap in the polls is going to grow as time goes on. When people see Dion starting to do the talking and debating they're going to like Harper all the more. Harper has more presence.

I'm not saying that I'll be voting for Harper, I look beyond the surface. But, most people buy the book because of its cover.

That said, Harper has only done three things I disapprove of, bring gay marriage up again (but now that that's all done with it can never realistically be brought up again), send soldiers rather than peace keepers over to Afghanistan, and ignore Kyoto. Other than that I approve of him. He's certainly honest, he said he'd do all those things and he did them. It's not like he's Bush or anything. But, I would rather vote for someone with the environment as their #1 priority.

Chacos Regiment

45276 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
That said, Harper has only done three things I disapprove of, bring gay marriage up again (but now that that's all done with it can never realistically be brought up again), send soldiers rather than peace keepers over to Afghanistan, and ignore Kyoto.

Yeah but those are three huge things that are being one very wrong, plus two of the three are huge issues in Canada right now. Gay Marrage is done and over with, so why the hell that is even being brought up is beyond me.

Also I don't think there can be a majority on the Conservative side, I think they can beat Liberals but I don't see them being able to pull off a Majority this time, from what the polls seem to look like so far. Maybe they will who knows, but at this point it looks not likely.

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The important factor for me when it comes to elections is: did the government keep the promises they made? Realistically, we know they can't keep all of their promises, but I haven't seen the Conservatives do a blatant about face on the issues once they got into power. The only thing which I didn't particularly like was the David Emerson incident.

The same cannot be said about the Liberals, on the other hand, who had promised to eliminate the GST and then back peddled once they realized just how much of a cash grab it was.

The true test will be if the Conservatives win a majority government, then we will see what their true colours are. As it is, I don't particularly trust the Liberals, the NDP have no damn possibility of winning the election and I can't vote for the Bloc Quebecoi because they won't run candidates outside of Quebec for some reason.

Jowy Atreides

486378 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Would you vote for the Bloc if they fielded candidates outside of Quebec? They want Quebec to be an independent country.

Anywho, the polls seem to be saying the same thing they (and I) said a little while ago: it'll be another Conservative minority.
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's just my twisted sense of humour, actually.

Jowy Atreides

486378 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm assuming that you support the Rhinoceros Party?
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't know if the party I support has an official name just yet, but it involves squirrels who dance the Macarena and Giant Nuns which hurl fresh pineapples into crowds.

Jowy Atreides

486378 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The leader debates haven't had much of an effect on the election, but I noticed something interesting. Not only is the Bloc being beaten out by the New Democrats, they're also being beaten by the Greens. Granted, which party is in 5th place depends on which poll you look at, but this is a very good thing for me personally, as I hate the Bloc and love the Greens. I seriously doubt that May and her party can get any seats, but I love them anyway. The fact that they managed to convince Blair Wilson to join is amazing to me (too bad he never got to vote!).
Oppenheimer

256470 Potch
0 Soldiers
1865 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was very impressed by Ms. May's debating skills. Jack Layton also got in a few good one liners . I liked the one about the Conservative platform being under Harper's sweater. Harper was pretty calm and collected but other than one jab at Dion he was on the defensive the entire time. I think the new format was very successful.

Also, I take back what I said about Conservative majority. It might be a Conservative minority after all. We'll have to see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: