Suikoden Ugly and Inspirational Knowledge Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Nintendo DS - Your Thoughts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sir_knowsalot

15313 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Nintendo DS - Your Thoughts Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey ya'll, I think I'm posting this in the right place, if not feel free and teleport it elsewhere.

As I've been skimming through the forums, I've seen more than a couple people asking about the DS and wanting to know more about it (myself included). I've also seen that more than a handful of people here already have a DS. So let's swap some knowledge people. If you have a DS, what are your thoughts on it? Do you use it much? What are your favorite games on it and why?

Also, if anyone finds any sweet deals for a DS via eBay or whatever (and you don't greedily snatch it up yourself), post it here. Hopefully this will help those still skeptical of buying a DS (and only playing one game on it :wink: ) and turn them into true believers.

Last edited by sir_knowsalot on Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well...before I start it's totally more of a preference thing...

Personally I tend to really like handhelds in general because they're small and easy to carry around and it doesn't involve plugging stuff into a tv, outlet, etc unless you're charging the batteries....I can take them on car trips and play em in the car, or while I'm waiting for someone.....

The DS in particular also has a kind of sleep function so like...if you have to put it down for a second or something and there's no save/stopping point in site...you just have to close the lid and it'll go into snooze mode...which I find kinda neat...and apparently uses less battery power too...

Funnily...my DS Lite is currrently what I play the most these days despite me having a ton more games on the PS2 in need of completing....this may be just cuz of my current moods/urges though? :|

-------
ehe....I don't know what else to say though about it without sounding like I'm trying to advertise it.......I never got a PSP or any other current-gen handhelds that are floating around out there so it's not like I can compare it to anything...

Again....I think it's totally one's preference to get one or not........just look at the game selection and be all "this sounds interesting...do I want to try it out?" or "I've heard this is really fun/good...I want to get it"
See how many of those kinds of games you come across and compare with your budget/what games for other systems you really want/planning to get and decide then....

On the topic of buying a DS Lite (if you're planning to go for a new DS Lite rather than a used one).....I reccommend waiting to get "Buy this DS Lite get something free with it" special deals or limited edition bundles. Feels good to get something extra with the handheld too 8-) heheh.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Zahak

Queen's knights

20981 Potch
44 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In my opinion, I don'tr think the DS is that good..
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Zahak wrote:

Why? Nobody wants to hear someone just say "This sucks" in part of a serious discussion about an item's pros and cons. Tell us what you don't like about it.

As for me, I certainly have been getting a ton of use out of it. FFIVDS alone is enough to warrant the $150-some total purchase (And I'm not saying this because I'm a fanatic of FFIV, since I'm not, but because the game was genuinely that well done), and since more classic Square games, such as Chrono Trigger, and inevitably FFV and FFVI will be eventually remade for the DS following in the success, and hopefully the style of FFIVDS, it's worth well over the cost of the system and the games.

Plus, you have the Phoenix Wright series. I understand they look stupid from afar, but if you give the games a chance, they certainly live up to the hype. Plus, you can get the first two at least used for like $15. On that note, the cheaper price of the games is yet another plus to the system - I haven't seen a game over $40 retail.

With a Suikoden game in the works for the system, there should really be no reason save for poor eyesight for an RPG fan to not get the system.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love my DS. It's very convenient, and easy to play. Not only is it building a strong cast of original and ported games for the system, it also has access to the huge library of absolutely amazing Gameboy Advance titles.

It's totally worth it for the Advance Wars and Phoenix Wright games alone, but there really are piles of great games of all genres for the little bugger.

Also, as Yvl said, on top of the great collection of DS and GBA games playable on it, there is a Suikoden game in the works for it. I see no reason to hold out now! :)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zahak

Queen's knights

20981 Potch
44 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:
Zahak wrote:

Why? Nobody wants to hear someone just say "This sucks" in part of a serious discussion about an item's pros and cons. Tell us what you don't like about it.

As for me, I certainly have been getting a ton of use out of it. FFIVDS alone is enough to warrant the $150-some total purchase (And I'm not saying this because I'm a fanatic of FFIV, since I'm not, but because the game was genuinely that well done), and since more classic Square games, such as Chrono Trigger, and inevitably FFV and FFVI will be eventually remade for the DS following in the success, and hopefully the style of FFIVDS, it's worth well over the cost of the system and the games.

Plus, you have the Phoenix Wright series. I understand they look stupid from afar, but if you give the games a chance, they certainly live up to the hype. Plus, you can get the first two at least used for like $15. On that note, the cheaper price of the games is yet another plus to the system - I haven't seen a game over $40 retail.

With a Suikoden game in the works for the system, there should really be no reason save for poor eyesight for an RPG fan to not get the system.

I'm not saying it sucks, I just don't like the graphics, They just are not my tatse.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You don't mind missing some of the best games of the generation because you don't like the graphics? Don't you think that's shallow?

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not really. Graphics are a major part of some games. Why do you think games like Final Fantasy put so much effort into their graphics? People look at graphics as a standard. I tend not to like handhelds for that reason too. My vision is bad enough without having a small screen smoosh it all down and making it harder to see. Though I hear the DS does a fairly good job as fixing that problem.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dragonstar13

13th Dragon brigade

493466 Potch
5000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject: DS and I Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The DS is a great hand-held system. I tend to bring it with me a lot, since there are times when I end up waiting for something. Other times I tend to play with it in my room. So the DS is a great way to kill time. I love playing Mario brothers since there isn't much of a story, but it's a fun game. My favorite game would have to be Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright though. It's a text game, but it's amazingly fun. The characters are funny and full of character. The stories were also so gripping. It actually felt like playing an anime, where you were the main character.
The few down sides to the DS though would be the size of the screen. I prefer actually playing games on a television. Reason being is I like to have a larger picture, and having the ability to lay back and look forward, not down at my lap with my DS. Plus I get tired sometimes of holding it up so my back isn't hurting for leaning downwards. I have the same problem with my laptop. Also, for wear and tear, I had my DS for over 2 years now, and the sensor is starting to give away. There are times when I tap the screen and nothing happens. However, this really depends on how you take care of it too. I'm also a button masher, so I get paranoid about wearing the controls. Controllers for systems aren't too expensive, but if you mash your DS too many times you have to buy another one. For a lot of my controllers the confirm buttons stop working, since I tend to mash them a lot for action games. So far the DS buttons are fine. However, I know I'll probably break them soon if I'm not careful. The graphics for the DS is not as great as the larger systems, but there are some games that are beautifully rendered on the DS. FFXII revanat wings is one of them.

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Although the DS ain't motion picture/blue-ray/high-definition material....it's graphics aren't that horrible unless you're playing under a weird light or with a glare or something...

I say, try looking up some gameplay vids of DS games on youtube or gametrailers or something.

Ignoring the stuff that was homevideo-ed with a crummy camcorder. You'll see that most DS game graphics are pretty good. Really!
I'd say some are even on par with some PS2 games.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Why do you think games like Final Fantasy put so much effort into their graphics?

To appeal to a superficial crowd, which encompasses a large number of people, including myself. But it doesn't make or break a game unless that's the ONLY thing you care about.

Queen of Falena

579729 Potch
0 Soldiers
2545847 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't like how my touch screen is basically scratches only.

Jorge Prima wrote:
What? Our pokemon aren't obeying?

When a problem comes along YOU MUST WHIP IT!
Tron Bonne

The party members you never use

579843 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Angelus wrote:
I don't like how my touch screen is basically scratches only.

I didn't like the possibility of scratches on the touch screen either, which is why I got one of those protective plastic films over the screen. Now its just a fingerprint smeared screen.
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've had my DS for 2 years, and its been used (I'd estimate on average) 10-16 hours a week and it has no scratches on it whatsoever. You're applying far too much force. The thing is quite sensitive, no mashing or stabbing is necessary.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Darko

Spell to Bind Forever

235341 Potch
0 Soldiers
5809 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mine is over a year and a half old and it has very little wear even though I've used it probably more than my PS2 this past year. I've even used it for games that you have to have to use the stylus only (like the mini games on New Mario Bros.) and still, there are little to no scratches at all.

Ange, wipe it down lightly with a cloth (I use this cloth that came with my Zune. A glasses cleaner would work too). Those scratches are likely superficial as opposed to deep scratches that don't come off. If not, then I agree with Red, you're beating up on that thing way too hard. XD

RIP Gabriel J. Figueroa 1987-2007
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: