Suikoden Urgent and Illusional Knowledge Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Dawn of War II

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Dawn of War II Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

While most seem to be very excited that Blizzard has actually begun working on releasing Starcraft II to the loyal masses I'm actually getting more and more excited about the upcoming sequel to THQ's original Dawn of War. For those not in the know, Dawn of War is based on the Warhammer 40K universe developed by Games Workshop and the IP is pretty much the inspiration for Starcraft's Terran, Zerg and Protoss factions.

Dawn of War II is set to come out sometime early 2009 and may end up competing with Starcraft 2 in terms of critical acclaim. One thing I've liked about the Dawn of War series compared to Starcraft is the fact that resource farming is not a major part of the game. A player can begin fighting right from the get-go and not have to worry about whether he or she will be able to have enough crystals and/or gas to continue. No, in DoW fighting to capture objective points is what gives the player new ways to improve their tech tree and/or call in more reinforcements.

I'll probably play both games but once THQ hit a home run with the original Dawn of War in terms of gameplay I may actually spend more time on DoW2 than on Starcraft 2.

Dawn of War II: New Enemy Cinematic Trailer HD

Dawn of War II: Gameplay Trailer HD

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I heard that Chaos won't bei n this version. I mean it's refreshing and all but I was using that dammit!

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm guessing they'll introduce them in the expansion as part of a bigger campaign. Either way this game finally gets the one race faction everyone had been begging for and that's the Tyranids.

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am pretty excited about Dawn of War 2. My main complaint with the original Dawn of War was that all of the new factions added into the game with the expansions made the game very unbalanced and Relic didn't seem to be doing much with their balance patches. Before Winter Assault the game was loved and used at high level competitive RTS tournaments. But, with a completely new game, the balance will hopefully be back.
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Loving the Eldar love, their iterations in the series were largely secondary to the Space Marines where much of their importance was lost to being relegated as Xenomorphic scum, but if trailers are to be believed they have an added cohesion with the narrative drive as opposed to being an extra race with the rest of them.

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm down to play both games.

I happen to be among the world's greatest StarCraft fanboys, but StarCraft II is not the same thing as StarCraft. There's no guarantee I'll like either one! There's no question, though, that I'll be giving DoW II a try.

I've been itching for a new RTS game for ages.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One thing people may like about the upcoming Dawn of War II is the fact that the single-player campaign won't be linear and confined to one planet. A player should be able to move from planet to planet depending on how they want to play out the campaign's storyline.

The units and their heroes will have some heavy customization available to them. So instead of taking what the game gives you in terms of unit weapon make-up it looks like the longer a unit survives during the campaign the more yuo can customize their gear. Enemy gear can also be looted if available. I'm not sure if this means a Space Marine can suddenly go into battle using an Eldar shuriken catapult, but maybe defensive tech and gear can be picked up and used.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This fan-video pretty much show just how awesome the Space Marines really are.

Ultimate tribute to the Space Marines of the God-Emperor!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: