Suikoden Utopian and Informational Keystone Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Most Tragic Suikoden Scene Unrelated to Death

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: Most Tragic Suikoden Scene Unrelated to Death Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

We've got a topic going about the saddest events of the series, but all I see in there are the deaths of characters or characters witnessing the deaths of others. Sure, those probably are the saddest happenings in the series. Plenty of other tragic events have taken place, however, that are just as sad as a death.

So share some examples of what you think are the saddest events in the series besides a character dying. Whether it be a lifelong friendship being shattered, a character being manipulated to hurt a loved one, or something completely different. The possibilities are endless, and hopefully we'll see some interesting and rather obscure events being listed.

I have several picks:

1) For me, the most tragic non-death event in the series is Sialeeds' actions overall. Jowy betraying Riou was tragic, sure, but this was simply a matter of two people fighting for the exact same thing but on opposing sides. Sialeeds believed that her actions would be the only way to save Falena in the long run; not even Freyjadour would be able to achieve what she wanted. She sacrificed everything for her nation and her family, only to be viewed as a traitor by much of the nation. For those familiar with the Metal Gear Solid storyline, she has a similar fate to The Boss. The difference was that this was Sialeeds' own choice, and she made this choice based on the heinous political actions she witnessed in her passed and her own convictions.

2) Next is Luca Blight's childhood. I think everyone would agree that Luca's upbringing was utterly tragic and would've emotionally scarred anyone. Even worse, this led to his own mental instability and eventually to the bloody war between Highland and Jowston.

3) My final pick for now is Lazlo's exile. He was already without a true home, being an adopted child in the Vingerhut household. Then, he lost even that home when Snowe "witnessed" him "killing" Glen (also a very father-like figure to Lazlo). Now, everyone in his life (except for the few friends who joined him in his exile) was against him and he was truly alone. Had nobody left wit him, I can't imagine the despair he would've entered.

Liangshan

1368 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i completely agree with your one and two. With lucas childhood you kinda expect him to become a monster. at least he has some what of an excuse yuber doesnt. sialeeds was all around tragic
i have a different third i thought in number one when you found out sanchez was a spy and he tried to kill you and his whole story after was sad.

-IT IS THAT WHICH MAKES US DIFFERENT THAT BRINGS US TOGETHER.-
Wind Rune

640 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i agree with 1 and 2 but in reverse order for me. the third for me was finding out that Viktor's entire town was gone because of Neclord. especially since in the first game he told Tir and the others he would go back home to everyone about Neclord's "defeat". who knew he was talking to the graves of all his family and friends
Evil luca blight

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Most Tragic Suikoden Scene Unrelated to Death Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i agree about Luca Blight's childhood
EternalLight

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Most Tragic Suikoden Scene Unrelated to Death Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Would Graham Cray count in one of the saddest catagory? You have to be able to sympathize with him as a parent who lost his son, and then sees a potential way to get him to live again (in the twisted way he sees the world; doubtful the Rune of Punishment actually stores souls like the Soul Eater). Parents who have lost their children can get really desperate to bring them back, and can lose a fair bit of sanity in the process. That is why I can sympathize with him in that respect, at the least, though it doesn't take away from the fact that what he did was selfish and evil.
Evil luca blight

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Most Tragic Suikoden Scene Unrelated to Death Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i agreen with EternalLight
EternalLight

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Most Tragic Suikoden Scene Unrelated to Death Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Evil luca blight":3mtr489n]i agreen with EternalLight
I'm glad someone agrees with me about that. Not many do because they don't think Graham Cray deserves sympathy for starting a war with the Island Nations to lure in Lazlo to him because he wanted to have the Rune of Punishment again. He was insane and self centered but wanted his child back, thats what really brought in the sympathy, in his mind he felt he had no choice.
Evil luca blight

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Most Tragic Suikoden Scene Unrelated to Death Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

just like luca bligt with out the rune
EternalLight

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Most Tragic Suikoden Scene Unrelated to Death Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yup but clearly Luca Blight was the more insane out of the two, which I guess you could consider that to be sad since insane people can't help what they do. But I'm glad they told us some sort of a history as to why Graham and Luca are how they are and in not so vague details either. Thats always a plus for any good rpg.
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maybe tragic would be too strong a word to use, but I found Thomas's flashback to his encounter with the Zexen councilman to be very poignant. His father just wished to kill two birds with one stone by sending him to a remote castle to be its master and so that he could get rid of his son. It was even harder to watch because Thomas just accepted this order like a true stoic. Thomas always amazes me. I love that kid.
Evil luca blight

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Most Tragic Suikoden Scene Unrelated to Death Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thomas is ok
Travito

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maybe I'm the only one, but i think it's in Suikoden 2 when Viktor is talking about what Neclord did to his village
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: