Suikoden Ugly and Inspirational Keystone Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The only course of action for suikoden. XBLA
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Locke Scythe

Scythe

2679 Potch
30 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: The only course of action for suikoden. XBLA Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think Suikoden could survive/relaunch. I personally think it is time to think of a relaunch rather than a sequel.

Plain and simply most big rpg franchise has been known by now. Mostly by a HUGE game that demanded recognition. Persona 3, FF7, Tales of Symphonia, Star Ocean 2, Dragon Quest VIII.

Suikoden hasn't had it's FF7 yet. EXCEPT that it did.

Ask most Suikoden fans and they will clearly tell you which is their fave. (In some cases what their fave game of all time is) Suikoden 1 and 2.

Sure I appreciate 3, Think 4 is underrated and like most things about 5. (Tactics was crap IMHO)

But 1 and 2 were and still two of the best RPGs ever made.

So my thinking is this, first Suikoden 1 and 2 need to come out for XBLA. (Yes) With very little promotion (saves costs) I think word of mouth would get it to sell amazingly.

Suikoden 2 goes for 300 dollars in some auctions most will probably drop 800-1000 pts for it. Achievements seem pretty clearcut, cooking game, old books, 108 stars and so forth.

Let the 2 games sell.

Then if they sell well enough theres some new options.

1)A remade suikoden 3/4/5 with Suikoden 1/2 graphical style maybe even redone army battles for 3 (cause seriously they were terrible). Add new features such as game save transfering throughout all of them.

2)Suikoden 6 on the X-box 360 again allow game save bonuses from 1-2, Have the plot be relevant to 1-2

3) Suikoden 6 on the XBLA. Megaman did it.Dragon Quest is more or less doing it. Why not Suikoden? Make a brand new Suikoden for the price of a point card or so. Get some familiar characters from 1-2 and keep the plot around that time period and voila.

So um should we start a campaign or am I just full of bad ideas?

Cause I'm pretty sure its currently on life support.
I don?t care, I?m still free.
You can?t take the sky from me.
Sealot

56962 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Or just make a new damn good game and blow everyones brains off instead of hanging in the past.
Locke Scythe

Scythe

2679 Potch
30 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They did that with 5 and it sold worse than any Suikoden before it.

Obviously that is not working.
Djungelurban

145425 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden VI will never be a XBLA game. Hell, it won't even be a X360 game. And if it is, it won't be an exclusive, probably will be more like the FFXIII setup in that case with a PS3 release worldwide and 360 release in the west. Remember, Suikoden makes its money in Japan. It doesn't matter then that the rest of the world is Xbox users if the Japanese sales are like they are. So it's a PS3 or Wii game for sure... Possibly PSP or DS. PS2 wouldn't be completely impossible either (although very unlikely). But X360, no that won't happen.

And the rest of those ideas... While they are kinda interesting conceptually... Nah, won't happen. Like really won't happen... It's pretty much as unlikely as someone making a sequel to Beyond the Beyond or something crazy like that.
Locke Scythe

Scythe

2679 Potch
30 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

actually Suikoden 5 didn't quite make the money in Japan. (5 sold 100000 less copies than 4 in Japan when clearly being the superior game of the two)

Thus the slowdown for 6.

Suiko 6 isn't worth making with its abysmal US sales and its mediocre Japanese sales.

So why not make the people who were in love with this series fall in love again.

If Suikoden 6 is announced for the PS3 I'll go get myself one after Suik 6 is released here for it.

Also as a Xbox exclusive it would not hurt Japanese sales I would think. http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071112-xbox-360s-surge-past-ps3- shows-that-exclusive-titles-selleven-in-japan.html

If a game has a fanbase in Japan they tend to follow it. Especially with the new tales of Legendia Xbox coming.
Djungelurban

145425 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Despite it making less money than usually in Japan the sales were still many times higher then abroad. Also, they did beat the Suikoden I sales quite handsomely so it wasn't a total failure. Just wasn't as big a success as the previous titles. The known sales figures does also not include the sales of the "PlayStation 2 the Best" release which I'm sure pushed it well above 200000.

Thing concerning remakes or rereleases... The main reason I think why Suikoden V did do as well as IV, apart from it being not too impressive graphically and the fact that the competition in the weeks of release were deadly, was that Suikoden IV kinda ruined the reputation of the series as a whole. That's just gonna be fixed with a really really good and really really high profile game. Suikoden V did rebuild it's reputation quite a bit, but probably not enough. We're gonna need another release and this time it needs to be a game that the media is buzzing about, like Persona 3. And that's not gonna happen with a rerelease for XBLA. That would go by without anyone noticing basically and I think it would rather sink the series instead of saving it. Cause I don't think the sales of Suikoden 1 & 2 would do too well.

And don't really see the logic here considering people who love the game. If they already love it, why would they buy it again? Don't they already own it? I've got my old copy from back in 1997 and I'm sure most people that love the Suikoden games for PS1 is still holding on to them. And if they want to play them again, they'll probably just play their old copies. If a Suikoden rerelease would be successful we'd need new players or some incentive for old fans to get it again. And even if I still strongly doubt that it could drum up enough sales to re-ignite interest in the series.

Concerning that link you added... Well, that was one week. Once, since the release of the PS3 has the sales of X360 eclipses PS3. Once in a total of 89 weeks or something like that. It means that PS3 is leading weekly sales 88-1. Sure it's possible that X360 overtook the PS3 another week aswell, bottom line is that most of the time that doesn't happen very often. Bottom line is, X360 is being crushed by all other consoles. And let's get this one straight, Suikoden ain't no Ace Combat. Might be weird for us in the west to imagine, but Ace Combat is a huge series over in Japan. Like really huge. Like bigger than Halo. Suikoden would do little for the sales of the X360... Or the PS3 for that matter.

And concerning a Tales release for 360... Is there a console out there without a Tales game? Don't think so.
Justice Johnny

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally, I think a re-release of the early titles would help lots. I know many many people who have been looking for Suikoden 1, 2, and 3 but there just aren't any copies in the market anymore. The only place to get them are in auctions for like ten, twenty times their original price.

Sure, the whole Suikoden I+II was done, but that was only in Japan, and I really don't know the numbers it did as far as sales go, and whether it was any good. That's why I think it's a good idea that they are re-releasing Suikoden I on the PS3. I know some would probably find it stupid, but I would get a PS3 just to get a whiff of that, especially if they plan on re-releasing the other later titles too, including Suikoden VI.
poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Except that the main reason 1 and 2 are so beloved is due to nostaliga. Yeah, they're great games, but I doubt that re-releasing Suikoden I and II would make garner any new attention to the series. They could remake either game and add in updated gameplay, new graphics, voice acting, etc.But I have a feeling that would end up doing nothing more than angering fans (for one reason or another) and doing little to garner any new attention either.

The only way I see anyone new coming to the series is if they drastically increase the budget. And with how expensive development is these days, I just don't see that happening. Unless MGS4 got in enough of a profit. But Konami seems to have let Suikoden fall by the wayside (I saw an interview where Konami was talking about how this is the first time they've had a new game in every major franchise within a year's time--but there's no Suikoden). Even Silent Hill is getting treated better at this point...

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

To be perfectly honest, I don't believe anything Microsoft-related is the "only" course of action for anything. Maybe when they can release a stable operating system upon release without forcing consumers to download service pack after service pack to get the service they actually paid for, I might have a bit of respect for Microsoft. That and the ridiculous prices they demand for products like Office, particularly when they change practically every year.

The future of an ultimate winner (thus a monopoly) in the home gaming industry will not result in more affordable games, but rather whatever price the sole survivor decides will make them the most profit. I certainly don't want to see that. Competition is good for both the market and the consumers.

I have to agree about the nostalgia factor for Suikoden I and II or, at the very least, their hyped status among Suikoden fans. I love the games for what they are and would love to see them re-released (either as part of an anthology set, or on a system like the PSP or DS) as is, with the exception of fixing the translation mistakes from the PSX release.

Though I think they should keep the error with the guy who sells tips in Suikoden II. It has always struck me as funny that after you hand the guy 100 potch, he spouts out gibberish.

Unfortunately, most gamers these days are only concerned with graphics and voice acting (must really suck for them to actually have to read the text in older games, hmmm?) than the actual game itself.

The biggest problem with voice acting in games is people while whine and complain if a game doesn't include voice acting, but they will also whine and complain that they don't like the voice acting they are given. Then you get those irrational people who hate any sort of localization and declare it garbage while sticking to the Japanese voice acting and subtitles, which makes absolutely no sense since they didn't want to have to read the dialogue in the first place!

Graphics, on the other hand... graphics are nice, or they can be. I can enjoy a game which has awesome 3D graphics, or awesome 2D graphics. I can even enjoy an awesome text adventure game with absolutely no graphics. When graphics are done right they can enhance a game, but when they are done badly they can be quite disruptive. Take the difference from the regular graphics of Final Fantasy VII to the battle graphics and then the cut scenes. I much preferred how Zelda: Ocarina of Time handled cut scenes.

There's really only one graphical upgrade I would make to Suikoden I: I would update the "running" animation, which was really more of a speed walking animation. Other than that, though, I don't see anything which needs to be updated.

Quote:
They could remake either game and add in updated gameplay, new graphics, voice acting, etc.But I have a feeling that would end up doing nothing more than angering fans (for one reason or another)

The perfect solution would be to release not only a remake of the games, but include both the classic and updated versions. That way, you can please those who prefer the original and those who want prettier graphics and some auditory stimulation.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Rezard

215744 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Djungelurban wrote:
That's just gonna be fixed with a really really good and really really high profile game. Suikoden V did rebuild it's reputation quite a bit, but probably not enough. We're gonna need another release and this time it needs to be a game that the media is buzzing about, like Persona 3. And that's not gonna happen with a rerelease for XBLA. That would go by without anyone noticing basically and I think it would rather sink the series instead of saving it. Cause I don't think the sales of Suikoden 1 & 2 would do too well.

You are saying that Suikoden VI needs to be a game that "the media will be buzzing about", but that can only be possible if they reinvent the game, the game needs to change. The same game will atract only the same people.

Suikoden is getting old, the fans are getting old, the same game play you all love wont bring new fans to the series. Persona 3 sure is different from your most traditional rpg.

Konami taking too much time to release Suikoden info is suspcious, they may really take the risk and change the game into something else. I think change is good as I see no sense in replaying games that look like Suikoden 1 over and over.
Akira

117 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: The only course of action for suikoden. XBLA Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with you. They should make Suikoden I+II as arcade classical games on XBLA.
With the Xbox 360 achievements Suikoden fans would like to play it again for the fun and for the achievements.

For Suikoden VI, should be whether on Xbox 360 only or multisystem on 360 and PS3. No way for Wii it will be a crazy action from Konami.

Since most JRPGs on Xbox 360!
Djungelurban

145425 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: The only course of action for suikoden. XBLA Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Akira":1d88kyxq]Since most JRPGs on Xbox 360!

Yeah, cause Microsoft funded the development of those games... In an attempt to build support for the 360 in Japan... Which failed miserably and they've now given up on it... Meaning no new JRPGs for the 360... Besides, pretty much every 360 RPG worth a damn have been released already or are incoming for PS3 now aswell... Let's just face it, the 360 is dead as far as the Japanese market goes...
Akira

117 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The only course of action for suikoden. XBLA Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Japanese poeple like PS3
Most of other poeple around the world like 360

1. Japanese companies that are looking for quick profits release their games first on 360 then a year later on PS3, e.g. NAMCO
2. Japanese comapnies that support their country-made console release most their games on PS3, e.g. Nippon Ichi
3. Some of Japanese comapnies are powerful to release their games both on 360 and PS3 in the same time
4. On other hand, there are some exclusive games on 360 only provided by Japanese companies?

So, what type of companies Konami is it? Is it powerful like SquareEnix to release FFXIII on both systems? Or looking for quick profits like Namco? Or what?

I thought first it is supporting thier country-made console by making MGS4 excluisve but NOT anymore since they will release MGS - Rissing for bothsystems and also it's a diffrent case because it's not an RPG game!!!
Raww Le Klueze

56792 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The only course of action for suikoden. XBLA Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Akira":2ijp1n7g]Since most JRPGs on Xbox 360!

And all of them sold so abyssmaly poorly they had to be ported to PS3 to make a profit.
Akira

117 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The only course of action for suikoden. XBLA Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Raww Le Klueze":9302av2v][quote="Akira":9302av2v]Since most JRPGs on Xbox 360!

And all of them sold so abyssmaly poorly they had to be ported to PS3 to make a profit.

First of all, not all of them sold so abyssmaly poorly!
Secondly, There are only 4 games at the moment: ES, ToV, EAs, SO4 and later maybe TLR
Thirdly, There were NOT exclusive all of them in Japan (Don't have "Only On Xbox 360" logo!) and the the exclusive RPGs have this logo like Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery and Magna Carta II for sure!

By the way, I have both systems so don't think I hate PS3, it's just my opinion about RPG field on Xbox 360!
You just hate Xbox 360 and always keep saying the same sentence "they sold so abyssmaly poorly they had to be ported to PS3" again and agian in many topics!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: