Suikoden United and Inspirational Kibbutz Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Football (Soccer) 2008/2009 Season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shikator

Akamaru

492303 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Archy":ewlvq0zh][quote="Ujitsuna":ewlvq0zh] Rumours flying about that Chelsea are going to swap Essien for Pirlo. :shock:

I think this is what Chelsea are aiming for, as Mikel has proven himself to be good enough to replace Essien. Pirlo will slot into the midfield and start orchestrating, which might be good for the team since their offence consists of Lampard/Ballack punting the ball to Drogba, resulting in a goal. With Deco looking certain to leave Chelsea, and the fact that Ancelotti is now their coach, this has a very good chance of happening. Yes, it makes them older, but in 3-4 years' Chelsea are goign to becoem the new AC Milan anyway - I mean, the retirement home.

As far as United goes, they need to freshen things up. The first thing they need to do is buy (not bargain, BUY) Tevez immediately. He's proven himself to be a valuable player, and this is one of those decisions where if you do wrong, you end up getting screwed. In this case, City will get Tevez and he'll proceed to kick ass for at least 5 years. Sell Berba if you have to ( hear Redknapp wants back everyone Juande Ramos sold to prove that he sucks :lol: ), let go of Nani, and it may be time to get rid of Scholes, too. Carrick, Anderson and Fletcher are enough for that area of the field, and with Stoke offering to pick him up, it may be time to move on.

EDIT: Shameless plug time. http://philifootballman.blogspot.com/ is where I now post all my talk on football, so I'd like to invite all of you to come over there and see what I have to say. :wink:

Tevez would definitely leave. I think he mentioned in an Argentine show that he is not happy on how SAF uses him.

Do you follow asian football? If you do id be sure to follow your blogs.
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's already inevitable, I think. A real waste of a player, and SAF would do better to avoid similar mistakes in the future.

Oh, and I don't follow Asian football - more like, Asian footballers who ply their trade in Europe. Nekounam, Park, etc. Beats me, but Asian football isn't really something I could get in to. I occasionally watch Japanese league, but that's from time to time (the last time I did was when Urawa Reds were in the Club World Cup.)

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
shikator

Akamaru

492303 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Football (Soccer) 2008/2009 Season Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
A real waste of a player, and SAF would do better to avoid similar mistakes in the future

Tbh, I don't know if you could blame this on SAF. Naturally, he had to choose between Ronney and Tevez.

Japan,Australia,Korea,Netherlands has qualified to the world cup.
Archy

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The point is, Tevez is worth keeping. Last year Tevez and Rooney played well together last year, and it's not as if Dimitar Berbatov was needed. The choice is actually between letting go of Berbatov and Tevez, and SAF chose to kept the guy who costs more (for now... Tevez' value if on a good team will really skyrocket 2-3 years from now), yet has not convinced as much. As much as I want SAF to succeed with haggling with Tevez' owners to buy him for 20 mil, it won't happen because there are other teams out there who will pay the asking price, maybe more.

And as for the WCQs, Japan, Australia and Korea are Asia's Top 3 right now, so it's really now surprise that they got in. :P The Middle East teams haven't convinced as much, Iran in particular is in a precarious position. van Marwijk is unbeaten as Oranje coach, worth noting because it seems he's got them playing good. England are -pretty much- qualified at the moment, see, Capello can get his players to score goals galore, brilliant 4-0 win over Kazakhstan. The only concern with them as of the moment seems to be the "who partners Rooney" thing, as of now Capello prefers Heskey but I'm still not sure if he's the guy. On a side note, Don Fabio hasn't failed in the whole "Lampard-Gerrard" situation, apparently when you play the two with Gareth Barry things work. :lol:

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
shikator

Akamaru

492303 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Football (Soccer) 2008/2009 Season Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
The point is, Tevez is worth keeping. Last year Tevez and Rooney played well together last year, and it's not as if Dimitar Berbatov was needed. The choice is actually between letting go of Berbatov and Tevez, and SAF chose to kept the guy who costs more (for now... Tevez' value if on a good team will really skyrocket 2-3 years from now), yet has not convinced as much. As much as I want SAF to succeed with haggling with Tevez' owners to buy him for 20 mil, it won't happen because there are other teams out there who will pay the asking price, maybe more.

The price does not matter in my opinion. Tevez is hungry for good recognition, and he know's he wont get that in united, so whatever happens he would definitely leave.

Quote:
And as for the WCQs, Japan, Australia and Korea are Asia's Top 3 right now, so it's really now surprise that they got in. :P The Middle East teams haven't convinced as much, Iran in particular is in a precarious position. van Marwijk is unbeaten as Oranje coach, worth noting because it seems he's got them playing good. England are -pretty much- qualified at the moment, see, Capello can get his players to score goals galore, brilliant 4-0 win over Kazakhstan. The only concern with them as of the moment seems to be the "who partners Rooney" thing, as of now Capello prefers Heskey but I'm still not sure if he's the guy. On a side note, Don Fabio hasn't failed in the whole "Lampard-Gerrard" situation, apparently when you play the two with Gareth Barry things work. :lol:

As for the Qualifiers, Holland had a pretty easy Passage if you ask me, the easiest by far. As for Asia, Particularly Japan and Australia group, they really were expected to qualify from this group but not as comfortable as they did. Both of them Got lucky against Bahrain, you should check out what the Australian media had to say about the game against Bahrain.

As For group B, Saudi's were the favorites to top the group but they had horrible first legged matches but things are great now for them. realistically, KSA would follow Korea because i doubt they would lose against Korea DPR in Riyadh. Iran in the other hand needs to win there next couple of games to even have chance of qualifying.

England indeed is looking good, to already being virtually qualified in a group that involves Ukraine and Croatia with 4 games left really is something. Capello really has been impressive, you see if you deploy ronney in his natural position he becomes a beast. I wonder if united would have done better if SAF did the same? :D. I know maybe this is just me but if i was rooting for England id be a little bit worried about A.Cole he seems to be blunder prone.
Archy

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

See, if Glen Johnson plays like this, England become a much better offensive team. He easily works well with Rooney (still England's go-to-guy for the WC). While Gerrard didn't have the best 45 minutes out there, the fact that the scoreline doesn't even remotely suggest that means that Capello has seriously got this team on all gears. Defoe was good off the bench, Beckham's centurion start was a class showing and it was a memorable 100th start from him. Cole was okay, though he seems to be better with Ashley Young playing. While it remains to be seen if the backline can hold its own (no one expected Kazakhstan or Andorra to score, anyway), the other side of the pitch has quite impressed.

Celes Tilly wrote:

"Butt rock."
shikator

Akamaru

492303 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Football (Soccer) 2008/2009 Season Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Holy shit Ronaldo to madrid damm...and they got KAKA too.hmm
Archy

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

80 million right there. Spend roughly a fourth of that, and you'll keep Tevez. For the love of all that's holy, don't let him leave.

It's a big blow to United, and I'm pretty sure that it's just become ten times harder for them to retain the PL next year. At worst, Ronaldo will cause enough problem that will generally shift focus to him, allowing the other guys to score. On a good day, he'll do all of that, plus find the net. It'll be hard without him, but that's certainly one less ego in Old Trafford.

But eh, they'll move on.

On a side note, I always thought that if Ronaldo left, Ruud van Nistelrooy would come back - wasn't Ronaldo's attitude the reason he left in the first place? He's expendable now at Real Madrid, and he'd really be welcomed back at United since anything is an improvement over Berbatov.

Oh well, 80 million isn't that bad, now SAF just has to make good use of it. Ronaldo is irreplaceable, but with the right signings United can be just as strong as before.

Celes Tilly wrote:

"Butt rock."
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ribery is the obvious target as a replacement in my opinion. Berbatov is far from useless as you're making out as well Archy.

Chelsea have a new manager again so wouldn't bank on them overthrowing Fergie's United just yet unless Ancelotti is given a little time to get set, he'll have an amazing team, as usual with Chelsea, behind him but there will be some growing pains - if they can ride those out they could easily challenge. Mikel is no Essien, Essien is still a better player and more versatile on top of that although I do love Pirlo, I don't envisage Chelsea becoming some kind of retirement home as has been intimated here they have too much money and ambition. David Villa would be an amazing purchase if they can get him (though Real are supposedly first in line for him too), I'd rather have Villa than Ronaldo at this point, I have always disliked Ronaldo though - always acknowledged he was a fantastic footballer but I still think he's an arsehole as well, whereas I like Villa so I'm biased. Another rumoured purchase is Ashley Young and I'd hesitate before buying him because I'm not sure for one that he's quite the right fit for Chelsea and I'm worried he could be spoilt if he doesn't perform straight away because he'll be thrown to the bench where he won't develop and I want him to become great for England's sake.

Liverpool might be the biggest threat, I love the Torres/Gerrard combination but I don't think it will happen for them they need a couple more moves, in particular if I was a Liverpool fan I would want another winger who could score a few goals since their main threats are Gerrard and Torres, taking some attention away from the centre of the pitch could be good for them and I'd also worry that the back 4 isn't quite good enough (not at the level of Chelsea's or Manchester United's either at this point IMO).

Arsenal need some experience and quality in their starting eleven to even be a consideration at this point, they have taken a clear step back and soon enough Fabregas is going to get fed up of not winning anything and not being first choice for Spain behind Iniesta, etc. he may fancy he'd be more in the running as a regular if he was playing at home week in, week out and who could blame him. I bet Real would fancy him as well if they were given the choice but he's clearly not at the top of their wishlist, maybe they'll get around to him once they're done with Ronaldo, never know.

I hope Crouch never plays for England again, screw his 'good' goal scoring record (16 in 34 caps) that people talk about, he's crap. He can't jump, he wins headers because he's just so damn tall, most of which he still manages to send skyward and he's not good with the ball on the floor. Watching it fly between his legs yesterday with only the goal in front of him was embarrassing. I actually started to miss Heskey yesterday, at least he's alright in the air and powerful, Crouch brought nothing to that game then fluked a goal unfortunately so won't look as much of a waste of a kit as he would otherwise.

For a better explanation about why his goal scoring record for England means nothing to me, here's a look at who he's scored his goals against;

Uruguay
Hungary
Jamaica (3)
Trinidad and Tobago
Greece (2)
Andorra (2)
FYR Macedonia
Estonia
Austria
Croatia
Ukraine
Andorra

So he's your typical does it against the minnows but where is he when we're playing decent teams? Croatia is the best there then possibly Uruguay.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Archy

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah, I didn't mean to say that Berbatov is useless. Sure, he's got his moments, but most of the time he'll wait for the ball to magically come up to him. It's as if he plays like he has no effort at all. It's hard to like him when he and Tevez are virtually opposites, and one guy goes off the bench and creates mayhem. Maybe I'm not just a fan of the way he plays, though. And apparently, Ribery doesn't want to move to England because "the weather is too much like Germany's".

The Benzema rumors are starting again, but now that Tevez is likely to leave and with the cash, he seems a possible option. I just don't want United to make a deal with Jean-Michel Aulas, a good majority of his deals have ended up with Lyon getting the upper hand (look at the Essien thing a few years back), and his replacements easily turn out to be better than replaced. Probably the reason why Lyon have been dominating (until Bordeaux stopped them)

Quote:
he wins headers because he's just so damn tall

Wasn't that the entire point of his call-up?

"What about this guy, Peter Crouch?"
"He's six-foot something."
"Okay, he's in."

I mean, why else could he be there?

Celes Tilly wrote:

"Butt rock."
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

But that's the thing he gets his head to it but unless it's literally at the goal line or glances off him at a fortunate angle he tends to stick it up in the air, he's got pretty poor technique. Painful to watch.

If the money's good enough Ribery would come to England, if the weather is like Germany he wouldn't be losing anything by doing it would he, besides Man Utd have frequent holidays abroad in major competitions and I think the history of winning things is attractive alongside playing for what is a very stable club (subtext: I'm taking a shot at Real Madrid here).

I never mentioned I love that Newcastle have been relegated, I hope every single one of the players stays and enjoys the championship because the blame for the situation is on them and they don't deserve to come back to any top flight league just yet, unfortunately that would mean the fans would be stuck with them again and that team needs to be blown up and rebuilt with players who give a damn more often than not.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

While Ronaldo will be a big big loss he is in no way irreplaceable! I for one will not be sorry to see his ego leave but as a player he will be a major loss.

Remember everyone saying where will the goals come from when Ruud left? United will move on.....
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Real Madrid is shaping up to look like a team of elite mercenaries for next season it seems. Kind of like Barcelona F.C. with their 3 star strikers in Henry, Messi and Eto'o, Real will go in and overwhelm teams that just won't be able to manage to contain all the threats brought on by Real's offense.

Also, does anyone know if Messi will be staying at Barcelona next season?

I'm an Arsenal fan so I'm a bit hesitant about this coming season. The team still lacks exprience in a big way and while having Eduardo off the injury list for next season is promising and should be good, I'd hate to see the team lose Emmanuel Adebayor as it has been speculated. Still the biggest priority is establishing a backbone to the defensive line and maybe adding a decent talent to the midfield. Wenger already started by picking up Arshavin out of Russia, at a relatively good price for the caliber player he's shown to be thus far in the Premier League.

My buddy Justin is convinced Ribery will stay out of English football. He says Fibery isn't big enough to hold his own against the more physical play style of the Premier League.

Also interested to see if Manchester City makes any more big purchases this summer. They already acquired some great talent. Between Robinho, Sturridge and Barry City can be real contenders for knocking one of the top 4 out, probably Arsenal, so that's even more to be worried about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Archy

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When Ruud left, Rooney really came into his own. Here's to hoping that happens with Ronaldo too... Nani might be given another shot. Or maybe Park, I always thought there was more to him. They'll probably end up buying, though.

Messi is staying at Barcelona, now that his rival Ronaldo is at Madrid. Now they're guaranteed to square off at least twice a year. And it's his only real chance at glory (so it seems), because his national team have been so horrible these past few matches (at this rate they might not even qualify outright for South Africa). And there's really no reason to leave Barcelona for him.

Thomas Vermaelen of Ajax is already on his way to Arsenal, so that's at least one defensive signing. He's not a big-name player, but he's proven at both club and national level with Belgium, so he might really blossom at Arsenal. They need more than him, though. Hangeland seems to be another likely to move to the Gunners. Mexes is another, with Roma struggling to make signings and keeping up with the league (Genoa and Fiorentina seem to be the new teams behind the Big 3, then there's Lazio and Sampdoria), he might leave Rome as well.

EDIT: Reading more on the Argentina thing, Maradona called up Gabriel Heinze and Jonas Gutierrez, but did not call up Cambiasso? How is that even possible? I mean, Cambiasso was the second-best player in Inter Milan this season.

Celes Tilly wrote:

"Butt rock."
shikator

Akamaru

492303 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Archy":2nc4vl3g]When Ruud left, Rooney really came into his own. Here's to hoping that happens with Ronaldo too... Nani might be given another shot. Or maybe Park, I always thought there was more to him. They'll probably end up buying, though.

Messi is staying at Barcelona, now that his rival Ronaldo is at Madrid. Now they're guaranteed to square off at least twice a year. And it's his only real chance at glory (so it seems), because his national team have been so horrible these past few matches (at this rate they might not even qualify outright for South Africa). And there's really no reason to leave Barcelona for him.

Thomas Vermaelen of Ajax is already on his way to Arsenal, so that's at least one defensive signing. He's not a big-name player, but he's proven at both club and national level with Belgium, so he might really blossom at Arsenal. They need more than him, though. Hangeland seems to be another likely to move to the Gunners. Mexes is another, with Roma struggling to make signings and keeping up with the league (Genoa and Fiorentina seem to be the new teams behind the Big 3, then there's Lazio and Sampdoria), he might leave Rome as well.

EDIT: Reading more on the Argentina thing, Maradona called up Gabriel Heinze and Jonas Gutierrez, but did not call up Cambiasso? How is that even possible? I mean, Cambiasso was the second-best player in Inter Milan this season.

Maradona has ego problems,seriously he does. when he fielded Jonas(Poor defensively) in the left with a blunder prone heinze as a LB, I just knew he had NO idea what he was doing. Everything are on the players now, they have to realize that Maradona isn't going to help them and that they have to perform great to even qualify Back to top
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: