Suikoden Uncouth and Illegal Kriegspiel Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

PS3 Outsells 360 In Europe!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: PS3 Outsells 360 In Europe! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought Sony was way behind too, looks like they've made a comeback in a big market, although the 360 appears to have a better range of games for adult males, the PS3 has taken a more universal approach. Could this be the tide turning?

Both are still getting killed by the Wii though.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think the tide is turning in the way that it's the return of Sony to the PS2 glory days. The 360 never really fully recovered from it's very slow launch over in Europe. Not having enough units in-stock to satisfy it's European launch pre-orders hurt them. It took them close to a full year to get their production numbers to the point that they could keep units on the shelves. The PS3 didn't have the same problem. Though theirs was a different one.

They were able to keep units on the shelves because people didn't buy them right away due to price. Once they begun to cut the price on the systems the people who held back from purchasing a PS3 started to do so. Those who were thinking of getting a 360 but were kept from doing it due to low-stock of units and the Red Ring problem ended up going to the PS3 instead.

While the PS3 has moved ahead in terms of unit sales in Europe they still lag way behind the 360 when it comes to NA sales. The weird thing is that even with the downturn in the economy in the US the largest number of sales of console units and titles still come from the US market. I do think that Microsoft will need to use more of its cash reserves to lock-up strict exclusive contracts with third-party titles where they seem to still hold a grip on over the PS3.

The telling numbers will be how many PS3's and 360's were sold leading up and during the launch of GTAIV. Whenever a major title for the 360 was released (Halo 3, Mass Effect) there was a significant bump in 360 sales. With the 360 having acquired two exclusive downloadable content (rumored to be full chapters) from Take-Two will that have pushed people sitting on the sidelines from getting a nextgen console to buying a 360 over a PS3.

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Clearly the price cuts have helped the sales. Good for Sony I guess. . .wow, when did gamers start caring about the nameless, faceless corporations that want nothing but to separate them from their money.

This isn't aimed at the OP by the way, I saw it on Kotaku and I just wondered why anyone at all would care.

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It surprises me as I can't think of many games that would allow it to outsell the 360 here in Europe, especially when adult males are quite happy with their 360s, and thats the biggest market outside of people who don't own a Wii.
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The PS3 has been perfect for me as over the last few years my time spend gaming has decreased so my PS3 is a nice all round entertainment system!

Roll on some top RPG's though......
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hayashi Ujitsuna wrote:
It surprises me as I can't think of many games that would allow it to outsell the 360 here in Europe, especially when adult males are quite happy with their 360s, and thats the biggest market outside of people who don't own a Wii.

It doesn't matter whether there's titles or not that can outsell the 360. Once people made up their minds to just wait on getting a nextgen system during the long waiting period for 360 consoles during launch it made it harder for MS to entice them to get one.

The PS3's high-price made the system less affordable thus keeping more on the shelves. With no backorder of systems to worry it made it easier for Sony to proclaim that they will always have PS3's in stock for people who wanted them. They conveniently left out the fact that those systems were still on the shelves due to Sony miscalculating the fact that people were not going to just arbitrarily shell out 600 dollars (I think even more in Europe at launch, especially the UK) for a system that didn't have any must-have games.

The telling thing is that since Sony won the so-called HD format war over HD-DVD there really hasn't been a rush to buy the PS3 by the public. Sony had been preaching to its investors and business analysts that the Blu-Ray winning the format war should see a large spike in PS3 sales due to the general public now being sure there will not be any competing format.

As for caring about such things as company profits, sales numbers etc... Well, I do invest in the industry and always like to keep myself up-to-date as to how gaming companies are doing and what they plan on doing in the future to make me money. Sooner or later gamers will realize there's a whole new world out there where making money is just as fun as playing games.

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Aye, Sony has been doing quite well in Europe. Not just recently, either. Overall, sales have increased quite a bit. Since October last year, the 360 has never outsold the PS3 in Europe, and, with the exception of April, the PS3 has been outselling the 360 in NA all this year.

Oddly enough, the only real aspect it has over the 360 is the Blu-Ray player, but software is shifting fairly rapidly too. It's also nice to see Blu-ray doing quite well. Although stand-alone player sales are direly low, disc sales multiplied since HD-DVDs demise. Personally, I don't plan on buying a DVD ever again.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm still not sold on Blu-Ray, like I wasn't sold on HD-DVD. I just think that a cheaper format equal to Blu-Ray is somewhere in the near future. But then it took me three years after the introduction of DVDs to finally buy one. I think the moment both the Star Wars films and the LOTR trilogy gets a release date for the Blu-Ray is when I finally convert.

I know that the recent successful testing of the Israeli-developed 1TB optical disc using regular red-laser to read is something movie studios have looked as something that may replace Blu-Ray before its even reached its first 5-years.

Then there's the little thing called digital download service getting a huge push from most of Silicon Valley and every tech firm wishing to sell its products directly to consumers through their hi-speed access.

As for the PS3, its lack of RPGs is the major reason I've not bought one yet. Pretty much most multiplatform titles released I've bought the 360 version. The differences in graphics between the PS3 and the 360 is marginal at best with each platform being able to do one aspect of the visuals better than the other and vice versa. With FF13 not having a definite release date for this year it may not be until 2009 that I get myself a PS3 and hopefully by then there'll be a big enough library of games on it I want to actually play.

The Squirrel Mob

68112 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sniper_Zegai wrote:
Clearly the price cuts have helped the sales. Good for Sony I guess. . .wow, when did gamers start caring about the nameless, faceless corporations that want nothing but to separate them from their money.

This isn't aimed at the OP by the way, I saw it on Kotaku and I just wondered why anyone at all would care.

I imagine that part of the reason that gamers would care is that the better a system they bought does, the higher the chances are that good games will be released for that system as developers see developing games for that system to be better for themselves. I know that is why I care about how well the PS3 is doing.

Titles: Harmonian Tenki Star, Harmonian Jousting Champion
Zahak

Queen's knights

20981 Potch
44 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And it's just a matter of time before PS3 outsells the 360 here in the states, If it has'nt already, Though it may be lacking RPGs , it's still far better games on it in other genres, There'll be RPGs on it eventually, Though it ticked me off when they announced at the press conference on G4, Final Fantasy XIII was coming out for the 360, it sucks 360's trying to get it's hands on Sony exclusives.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Zahak wrote:
it sucks 360's trying to get it's hands on Sony exclusives.

Compared to Sony trying to get it's hands on 360 exclusives? It's the nature of the business the way it is nowadays. Companies making the games have to make as much money out of their investment as legally as possible which is why even exclusives that in the past never saw the light of day on the MS consoles are now making it over to the 360.

Really, when asked the only title that seem to interest 360 proponents nowadays is the MGS series. The Final Fantasy title was more a big deal to people within the gaming industry than it was to most gamers. FFXIII announced for the 360 told insiders that no exclusive (unless a first-party developed one) is safe from turning multiplatform.

Queen's knights

20981 Potch
44 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's even worse..But I'm glad atleast 360 won't be getting Guns Od The Patriots, As Hideo Kojima stated it's only for the PS3.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Compared to Sony trying to get it's hands on 360 exclusives?

Can you name a few that Sony has gotten from the 360? As opposed to FFXIII, Star Ocean, Assassin's Creed, etc? The kind of business that Microsoft runs seems to be less on profits and entertainment and more on tearing down as much competition as possible.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Zahak wrote:
That's even worse..But I'm glad atleast 360 won't be getting Guns Od The Patriots, As Hideo Kojima stated it's only for the PS3.

I'm not glad, I wanted to play it, they won't get my money that way.
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Goldy wrote:
The PS3 has been perfect for me as over the last few years my time spend gaming has decreased so my PS3 is a nice all round entertainment system!

Roll on some top RPG's though......

That's what I've found the PS3 really is nice with.

I've been using it as a blu-ray player/ dvd player and have been using it as a media box streaming files from my computer through the home network to display on my big honking TV with 5.1 surround.

The PS3 is HDMI 1.3 and can decode all the latest audio codecs (via firmware updates) and streams them as multi-channel PCM which my receiver accepts.

Honestly, I've found the PS3 is an amazing entertainment system.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: