Suikoden United and Informational Knowledge Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Jojo's Bizzare Adventures

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Jojo's Bizzare Adventures Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Before i get to the crux of the thread, here's a little introduction about the manga's plot:

STORYLINE
It's an epic that spans over a hundred years, beginning in the mid 1850's, about a boy named Jonathan Joestar (or JoJo for short), whose half brother Dio Brando had turned into a vampire and was going to bring chaos to the world. But this is the first story.
The second story goes on with Joseph Jostar (also called JoJo), Jonathan's grandson, who had to fight against more vampires that sought to come to power over the world.
But the real story begins with the third story, known as Stardust Crusaders, with Joseph Joestar's Japanese grandson, Kujo Jotaro, who had developed the power of the Stand, as has others, and to save the life of his mother, he must defeat Dio, who had survived his battle against Jonathan.

The story currently has 7 stories (you can consider them to be super-arcs), each with the main character having the name Jo Jo in their names, as they develop the power of the Stand, and has to fight against a plethora of Stand users, each becoming more creative than the next.

There are currently about 90 Volumes, or nearly 800 chapters of Jojo's Bizzare Adventure, which makes it one of the longest running mangas in history, but is outdone by several others, one i can name is Hajime no Ippo, which is currently over 800 chapters at the moment. And this is still going on.

The art style of it looks quite crude to be honest, attempting to draw the characters more realistically, instead of those big doe eyes and more detailed and such. So it won't look that anime-ish, it'll look more like an attempt to draw more Western comic books. But if one can take that aside, you'll find one of the most original stories that you'll ever find in a manga, brought more so by the introduction of the Stand.

I was hoping that there were some people here who have read the manga, and has taken a great deal of interest in it. For those who have read it, i have these questions to ask:

1. How much of JoJo's Bizzare Adventures have you read?

(I ask this because i am currently reading the 6th story, but there aren't anymore places to download the rest of the mangas, leaving a very big chunk out. I would definitely buy the volumes, if i can find them. )

2. Which Story is your favorite?

3. Which character is your favorite?

4. Which stand would you consider your favorite?

I would give my answers later.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Jesus Christ, the manga is still going on? I thought it was a 90s retro thing. I need to check it out.

Crimson Crusaders

260069 Potch
250 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not much. I know some parts of the storyline for the first two series. The only one I know the most about is Stardust Crusaders.

Stardust Crusaders.

A toss up between Jotaro or Dio.

The World AND Star Platinum.

ZA WARUDO! Toki wo tomare. Soshite toki wo ugoki da. <-- Something like that. :)

ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA

Return that soul to God.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Jojo's Bizzare Adventures Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, that shouldn't be surprising, since it is the most popular of the arcs. Well, i guess i'll put in my answers at this point.

I have read up to over 600 chapters of it, from the beginning arc (Phantom Blood) to the fifth one (Golden Wind). I have started to read the sixth one, Stone Ocean, which has Jotaro's daughter, but for some reason, translators/scanlators have not gone any further than the first 3 volumes or so.

I would have to say Golden Wind, but Stardust Crusaders is a very close second. I liked how you see more character devlopment in all the characters, and Giorno, the main character, has a very interesting story himself (the main spoiler being that he's the son of Dio!).

That would be difficult to say. I knew that this question would be difficult to answer since i think that there's over 100 characters so far (Ball park estimation, i haven't counted them all). But the top would be Giorno Giovanna in Golden Wind, Jonathan Joestar in Stardust Crusaders and of course Kujo Jotaro in Stardust Crusaders, Diamond is Unbreakable and Stone Ocean arc. Who doesn't love Jotaro?

Again, it's pretty much the same as the previous question. But the ones i like are of course Star Platinum (Jotaro's: Super speed and accuracy, plus the ability to stop time!), Golden Experience (Giorno's: Can change any inorganic object into an organic one e.g. transforming a rock into a frog, vine or a human hand), Echo Act 3 (Koichi: Substantially increases the weight of anything), Kraft Work (Some guy who fought Mista: does something with kinetic energy or something, but whatever, he can stop bullets in mid air!) and White Album (Some Francophile, forget the name: Can make Ice Armor, and freeze the air). There are probably a number of others that i can't remember, but those ones stick to my mind, and i think that they are all awesome!

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KFCrispy

51948 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i have not read the manga series but the OVA series is great! there are 2 short anime series based on JoJo's Bizarre Adventures, the original one is very good and the other is an attempt at a prequel but the stories, drawings, and animation (not to mention the official US release's translations/subtitles) in general are actually worse.

the best thing about the anime (and probably the manga) is that people actually DIE, left and right. all other stories in the world have a main cast of characters that seem to avoid death by sheer luck, live forever, and/or revive after some time if they were killed off. these characters ACTUALLY DIE, straight up, and like in real life, some deaths don't help the heroes accomplish anything.

my favorite episode of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure OVAs is the first series' episode 2 or 3 (forgot which..) where the entire episode takes place in a bar and all they do in the episode is play poker. the suspense is crazy, and the people i've shown the episode to keep wanting to know what will happen until the results are revealed.
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, i have seen a few episodes of the OVA as well, but not all of them. I really want to see them all, especially the last episodes leading up to the Dio fights, but it's hard to find anything like that here in Australia!

I haven't haerd about the other two though, but i did hear that they were showing the "prequel" of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, but it wasn't that interesting, unless you want to see the origins of the story. Just in case you didn't know, KFCrispy, that Prequel was acutally the start of the manga. The OVA, which is the unofficial start of the series, started at the hundreth chapter or so, i forget when. But there were two "prequels", one was with the original Johnathan Joestar, and the second was with Joseph Joestar (the grandfather).

I think i know which scene you are talking about. They go up against the dealer himself, right? He was named something like D'Arby, something like that.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: