Suikoden Utopian and Illegal Keystone Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Child Abuse or Religion?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Child Abuse or Religion? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm watching some video clips on yahoo news, there is one case about an 11 year old girl who died from a harsh form of diabeties, her parents refused/neglected medical attention for their dying child, stating they were praying and God would fix it, because "healing comes from god"
Now, because they live in Wisconsin they might be projected by a faith healing law, some say they'll use it a shield for negligence "we tried, we prayed', but they didn't state a specific faith, loophole? or no? So they could get of the hook.
http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/article.php?article=22053
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=732626
I've heard of stories like this before, there were many so this is what this topic is about, if parents should be charged with murder/manslaughter/neglecting/abuse when they opt to pray instead of offer get any medical treatment for their children no matter of what illness they have or how strong or how treatable.

Last edited by kuwaizair on Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shikator

Akamaru

492303 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think this is a matter of neglecting the child. Im not sure if they believe in god would help those who help themselves but im quessing not. Parents should be charged of child abuse for this case.

I am sure they had medical treatments themselves before so why not give to their child some as well.

Quote:

they might be projected by a faith healing law

Im not from the U.S but if this law does exist then it should be abolished.

I agree that they used the law as a shiled to protect the child negliencne.
Jowy Atreides

486378 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I haven't heard of faith healing laws either, and I'm from the States. But, it's something I honestly don't know about.

Anyway, of course they should be charged with child abuse. There was a lady from Texas who cut her kids up in the family bathtub, and later claimed that God told her to do it. Should she be let off also? No, of course not.

Of course, they may be let off because they are insane.
Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've never heard about the laws either, and yeah, I'm in the US as well. I would imagine it'd be part of protecting free practice of religion, which would make abolishing it rather difficult and problematic.

I couldn't imagine it'd be so simple as to allowing any parent to do whatever they want and then claim it's faith, though. If it is, it would need to be altered dramatically.
Seraphblade

imaginary soldiers

935122 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't believe there are any national laws that actually protect or deny "faith healing," but if there are any then the are state based (Wisconsin has a statute that protects faith healing as the article stated). However, by denying the practice people could interpret it as an infringement on freedom of religion. This case though, might go against the parents since they did not even take their child to a doctor despite her terrible illness. If they had taken her to a physician to determine her illness but refused any kind of medical treatment suggested by the doctor, then they will be probably protected by religious rights.

The "Penal Code," is a British law but I believe it is also used in the United States, states something along the lines as "a person who fails to provide food, shelter, or medical attention to a minor, without a lawful excuse, is guilty."

Here are some legal aspects on faith healing
http://www.religioustolerance.org/medical1.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: