Suikoden Uncanny and Inspirational Karma Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Valkyrie Profile 3: The Accused One
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

VP1 was great, sure a lot of characters had no story after their initial recruitment/death but there was some fantastic drama in each person's final moment and judgment before Lenneth. Silmeria focused a lot on key characters and the only way to find out anything about some characters was to read their 'history' in their profile. I consider that the main weakness of Silmeria since they took a lot of care to actually link a ton of the characters together and have some real drama surrounding their deaths (such as the duel between Phyress <3 and Celes). That could have been some really powerful scenes were they actually played out.

I have just started Covenant of the Plume and so far i don't really like the main character... but I do welcome at least seeing some character development and story for other characters that you meet. I'm going to reserve judgement for now, but I don't really like the SRPG aspect of combat - it feels like La Pucelle when the screen for fighting is different to the movement screen. Makes me wonder why they bothered with the SRPG movement in the first place. Plus y'know once again the objective of the game seems to be fighting against my gods, but I'll let that slide.

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Falcon Critical":1ntpx9z8]VP1 was great, sure a lot of characters had no story after their initial recruitment/death but there was some fantastic drama in each person's final moment and judgment before Lenneth. Silmeria focused a lot on key characters and the only way to find out anything about some characters was to read their 'history' in their profile. I consider that the main weakness of Silmeria since they took a lot of care to actually link a ton of the characters together and have some real drama surrounding their deaths (such as the duel between Phyress <3 and Celes). That could have been some really powerful scenes were they actually played out.

VP1, in my own opinion, had an excellent development of all the characters, when you play through their "introductions", and when you play through the actual plot. You get background, and see what their lives are like at the verge of death, and sure a number of them remain unrequited/ unsatisfactory, but that's life. Plus, you can get some more character development after you transfer them to Asgard. That's why i loved VP1 so much.
And that total lack of character development except for the main characters, is my main bone of contention with VP:Silmeria. Like you said, all you get was the "history" you just read. There was simply so much potential to actually find out more about those characters, but instead it the developers apparently half-assed it.

It's disappointing to hear that there won't be much fleshing out of the recruitables in CotP. But i'll try to get it anyways, sicne i love the franchise.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well for a start characters are a little more standoffish since you're just some random human coming over to ally with them and they're not reminiscing about their life as they die, but there is a decent amount of story for each one, each chapter you play is devoted to one or two characters and their goals in life.

I'm near the end now though I actually had to start again to get to where I am. Its one of those games where you absolutely have to exploit the system to survive past the midway point. In the first VPs you know how you can 'overkill' and damage their HP beyond their HP - this is counted as 'sin' in CotP and similar to being a good Valkyrie in VP1 if you accumulate loads of sin in a battle you get all the good gear. Quite simply if you can't exploit the sin rewards system your characters will be so underpowered by chapter 4 that you don't really stand a chance. Unless you can exploit the system. But if you could you wouldn't be in that situation XD

Anyway now that I've figured the system its not too hard, the AI is pretty poor really.

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

HELP please!

i am at the final battle in covenant of the plume, first half is easy once you know what to do. but the second half seems to go on forever for me, and i think that i'm missing something here...Here are the cahracters that i'm using: Wyl, Ushio, Lockswell and Ancel. teir levels are 38, 37, 36 and 46. what techniques would i need to put on, besides survival?

i was trying to go for a pincer attack only with wylfred and ancel, while ushio and lockswell stay back,conserve AP and to union plume them abck to life. yah, it's pretty slow, plus i'm only doing roughly 5000 damage per round this way.

Any way to stop Garm from healing? prevent sorcery perhaps? or do i just have to suck it up?

any help woul be greatley appreciated.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jhones

The Vermillion Legion

7066 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Ranadiel":12dfeikl]And then the whole premise of the story seems stupid to me because the main character blames Valkyrie for his father's death despite the fact that Valkyries aren't supposed to kill to get souls

Actually, there's some loose justification about this in the story, Some people think the Valkyries presence makes warriors make rash decisions based more on valor and heroism then on common sense and logic. (such as Theodore risking his life against heavy odds to rescue a comrade, which is both heroic and quite honorable, but also a fool's gamble which said friend mentions as well.)

Wylfrid's anger at Lennith is more grounded in proper senses, with his father, the breadwinner, dead, his family's once noble name died with him, Wyl wasn't of proper age to take up sword or practice at the time, so his family fell into destitution. His sister died from famine and his mother went insane at the revelation that her daughter died right there under her care. And who caused all this? The one who oversaw the conflict and collected his father's soul, to Wyl anyway.

The poem in the beginning more or less spells out all of Wyl's motivation for the game.

I'm going to get myself banned if I keep acting like a jerk...
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, i finished the game, got all three endings and am currently on the Seraphic gate.

So i think i'll put my final thought about this game:

PLOT: i found it to be...somewhat original, although you would have encountered the story of vengeance nearly a million times on other video games and animes. But its rare to play the villain. Well not that much nowadays, taking Star Wars The Force Unleashed as an example... hmm...i guess it didn't have much new to offer storywise. There was one thing that really, really bugged me, and it's how linear this game was, compared to the previous VPs. While the freedom of movement was restricted in VP:Lenneth by the periods, at least you could go to any dungeon previously visited, when you had the free time.

GAMEPLAY: Good, close to great. I'm overall ambivalent towards tactical RPGs, but i thought that this was okay. I loved that they brought back the original Finishing strikes for each fighting character, instead of that very disappointing generic Special attacks for the einherjars except for the main characters.

GRAPHICS: No complaints from me.

SOUND: Again, no complaints from me.

REPLAYABILITY: Pretty high. Considering myself a fan of Valkyrie Profile, i decided to go through all the endings and finsih the Seraphic Gate.

DIFFICULTY CURVE: Varies. When i started, i tried doing the good ending, which was quite frustrating. The others were not so difficult.

Overall, i would give this a 7/10. Pretty average.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
Jhones

The Vermillion Legion

7066 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Starslasher":1yw3s4df] hmm...i guess it didn't have much new to offer storywise.
Overall, i would give this a 7/10. Pretty average.

Actually, this game, if you actually take what the C ending (The Canon ending BTW) to Valkyrie profile: Lennith (this is an honest prequel), Wylfrid's actions and attempts to kill Lenneth lead directly to her memories and emotions being sealed at the begining of the game.

Also giving a game a 7/10 is giving it an above average score, since 5 is dead center.

I'm going to get myself banned if I keep acting like a jerk...
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I know all about the C ending, i did get to the seraphic gate after all. What i meant by that the plot didn't give anything new was as a story overall, not just in the VP context. And the endings were no exception.

Ending A: Wylfred learns that vengeance is bad and gives up on it. Yawn.
Ending B: Wylfred loses papa and learns how futile vengeance is. again yawn, but it was not so bad as it mentioned the conversation you just posted.
Ending C: Wylfred doesn't learn his lesson. A pertty typical bad enging, if you ask me.

You can find this in many other video games. This is what i meant by nothing "new to offer storywise".

But i didn't know that C was the canon ending. I thought that it was B, against because of the Odin/Freya dialogue.

Point taken about the rating. I still stand by it, though.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
hotspot

Dawlight

147042 Potch
53 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I haven't gotten that far, but Valkyrie profile: covenant of the plume is really good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: