Suikoden Utopian and Irenic Kraalesque Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

So, are you picky when it comes to buying new games?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackKnightYuber

320868 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: So, are you picky when it comes to buying new games? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This occurred to me as a good topic for this forum the other day, after visiting a site in which folks were discussing specific preferences when it comes to purchasing games. For instance, some folks loathe buying used, while others think it's the greatest thing in the world. Others don't like the look of the PS2 Greatest Hits label, and will only buy an original, black-labeled copy if possible. So that's the question, folks. Do you have any specific habits/preferences when it comes to game purchases?

I don't consider myself to be overly picky. I'm more prone to scouring the used bins at the local Gamestop, unless there's a game I absolutely can't wait for, which I will purchase brand new. The only thing I ask is that both the disc and case be in good condition. Doesn't have to be mint, but good. I swear, some used copies look like whoever had it before trading it in fed it to the family dog. That, and I prefer to have the game manual along with it, unless a game is SO rare that I just can't find it anywhere else (*coughSuikodenIIcough*). ;) Other than that, no real hang-ups. I'm curious to read others' thoughts on this matter.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I used to buy a lot of games, really just whatever caught my interest. I don't nearly have as much time as I used to have to play games, though. So I've become much more stingy in my purchases. I usually only purchase RPGs that I have heard a fair amount of good things about, or from a series/producer that I follow. It's gone from just buying all the major games that come out, to only buying the games that really, really interest me-- which I suppose is a good thing.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dragonstar13

13th Dragon brigade

493466 Potch
5000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sometimes yes, I can be picky, especially when buying used games. When buying any used PS2 games, I try to be cautious with it, because I've had games with scratches on the disk. When I bought a used FFXII collection game, the 2nd disk was missing. However, most of the other games I've bought have been alright. The greatest hits logo never really bothered me, so I'm willing to buy a game once it becomes a greatest hit. However, there are times when I can not wait, so I buy the game regardless at full price.

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I try to absolutely NOT buy Used games if at all possible. However there are certain cases where I want a game real bad, it's been staring at me from the shelf for a while and it is possibly the last copy (I want it more if it is but if it isn't it might not matter if the other two factors outweigh it)

If I do get a used game I MUST have the original case and manual. If it doesn't have a manual...depending on the game I may still get it (highly likely I won't though) but if it is NOT in it's original case I will ABSOLUTELY NOT GET IT.

oh....also I always check the back of the used disc for sticky stuff....last couple times I bought used games they had sticky gunk on the back....even looked like it was put there recent (like the cashier was eating candy and got it on the disc right when I bought it) :evil:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Thor McOdin

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Picky about buying them? No. Picky about playing them? Why, that's an entirely different story. I seem to have no qualms with throwing money towards games (unless it's a series I can't stand like .hack or run-of-the-mill stuff), but when it comes to actually playing the titles, I hesitate to commit.

I started to do this after I decided to beef up my collection years ago, but I was so out of touch with what was in and what was cold as ice. Since then (unless it's a game that I am really looking forward to), I have found myself just purchasing stuff for kicks in hopes that I discover a hidden gem. Sometimes I am amazed. Sometimes I look back and can't believe I did such a thing. Still, it's actually not too harsh on my budget since I will usually check out used or price-slashed games first. Then again, it also helps that I have decided to cool it on the spending in order to actually play the stuff that I already own!

Not all ninja codes are brewed equally. Here at Shinobi, we use the choicest Bavarian hops that are ripened to perfection. One sip and we will have you saying...nothing.
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm picky, even with used games. If the store doesn't let me view the dvd, I don't purchase it, period, if the booklet has stickers on it I demand a replacement or don't buy it, same with the cases that I do get, you peel the stickers off at time of my purchase and if you tear or damage anything you give me a damn discount right there or I throw it back on the shelf.

13285 Potch
60 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When it comes to things like that, I'm not picky. I love buying used games because they're cheeper, and I don't normally have alot of money anyway. As long as it doesn't look like it's been though a paper shredder , I'm fine. Greatest hits, still don't care. It's annoying when they put the stupid little stickers right on the package though. They're all sticky and hard to get off.

As far as certain games go, I can be picky about that. I'm usually just an RPG kind of girl, and I always look up information on a game before I buy it.

- Auron, Final Fantasy X

"I'm a warrior, not a variety of flower!"

- Vegeta, Dragonball Z
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I used to buy games by the lot, but for the past year I havn't bought a single console game. I blame this on old age.
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The only thing I'm picky about when buying a game (after I've researched the game itself and whether its worth buying) is limited editions. If I decide I really will like the game I'll go out of my way to get the LE of it, if possible. Games I'm sorta 'meh' about I won't bother, and the only time I'll get a game second hand is if I really want it and its not easy to obtain new.

320868 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Another thing I to tend to do, which I didn't mention in my original post, is attempt to rent relatively expensive games from Blockbuster before purchasing them. That way, I don't have that "WTF was I thinking" regret if I end up being disappointed. There are exceptions to this rule, however. If I see a used copy at a Gamestop, in real good condition, and the price tag is under $10, I'll usually take a chance. Anything more expensive that that, I try to do a little more research.

Also, to those who have mentioned being more particular about the games they pick up these days, I hear ya. My collection of PS2 titles has been whittled down to just 15 games. I had a number of them that I no longer played, mainly due to just completely losing interest. If I sell them for a store credit, I'll hold on to said credit until something comes out that I really have an interest in.
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm a collector as much as I am a gamer. That said, I have no problem buying a used game as long as its in a good condition. The CD must have no scratches, it must have the original case and manual and the case has to be in good condition. Back when PS1 games were easily found, jewel cases would often get cracked and that is a deterrent.

I've only bought one game without a manual and that was FFXII and thats because it was only $10.00 and everything else was in great condition. I got a manual for it soon after as a gift from a friend, where she got it I'll never know.

As far as the Greatest Hits or not, I own 1 GH title and it irks me. Its of Legend of Dragoon. I don't want it. If anyone out there has a non-GH copy and doesn't care, we can swap.

I usually don't care about Limited Edition versions or anything like that because usually all it means is a shinier case and thicker manual. But in the event of Star Ocean 3, they decided that the special edition would have a new character in it which pissed me off to no end because I don't want to pay $40.00+ for a game I already own - 1 playable character.

I never sell games, even the ones I detest and regret buying.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Vertius

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I used to buy used games, in the PS1 era, but since I got a PS2, I've only been buying new. I can afford to do it now, even if I don't get around to completing them. For example, I'm buying four games this month, (Devil May Cry 4 (PS3), Unreal Tournament III (PS3), Lost Planet (PS3), and Persona 3 (PS2) all of which are released in Europe this month), and, like-as-not, I won't get around to completing them all. I always go for Limited Editions, also.

Like Red, I'm a collector of the things I buy. I haven't resold a game yet, and this has led to me having approximately 150 games.

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally I prefer cheap/collections/compilations. Here where i come from people will actual think your strange for buying original games. Piracy is so prevalent here.

Anyways, I think compilations have the best value. There cheap, there easier to install/maintain( eg. sim complete collection). I really don't go for LE stuff becouse 1)No shop here in the philippines would sell them 2) I find there too frivolous.
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Now dose the title of this topic refer to "New" games as in unopened new games or new titles someone don't already have?

I would say I have a solid games collection that's comparable to most people's since PS One, others would call me a serious games collector, even though I don't look at it that way personally. I just spend lots of my money on games so I figured that I might as well make sure that I'd get as much value as I can out of it, which mean I'd much rather buy an expensive hard to find game that I am not eager to play so I'd have it when I want to play it or owning duplicate copies of a game I want, than spending a few bucks on a game I liked playing before and own it if I can buy it from anywhere at anytime.

Right now the games high on my to-buy list include: Electroplankton DS, Firefighter F.D.18 PS2, & The Guy Game... I'm in no rush to play any of them especially the last two, but I'm very interested to add them to my collection.
BlackKnightYuber

320868 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

jjrrs wrote:
Now dose the title of this topic refer to "New" games as in unopened new games or new titles someone don't already have?

It's the latter. Buying any game that you haven't previously owned, be it factory sealed or straight out of the $9.99 and under bin. :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: