Suikoden Utopian and Infamous Knowledge Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Cars, trucks, etc. and the People who Drive Them
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Cars, trucks, etc. and the People who Drive Them Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Let's face it, we all have to get around somehow. A lot of us are old enough to drive and at times we are very dependent on it. I know what some of you are driving, but there are many people in this forum that I haven't got a chance to ask. So rather than PM everyone on this board. I'd like your thoughts gather here.

I just want to know what car/truck/motorcycle you're driving. Actually whatever gets you around is fair game as well. In addition, I'd also like to know how your personal ride is treating you. Do it do its job perfectly or do you have to push it to its destination?

For those who don't have cars, or those that have them on the fritz, what do you plan on getting?

The Squirrel Mob

68112 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Interesting topic idea. I might as well start it off. I drive a 96 (or is it 98?) Toyota Camry. It runs quite well and I like it. It is my first car. I try to avoid driving it though because I don't care for driving and also to save some gas. About the only places that I drive to are my school, the gym, or the gas station. I get gas about once every two weeks or so. Although I really need to give it a wash because it has a lot of bird crud on it. It is slightly tinted gold in color. Whenever I get my next car it will probably be another Toyota Camry. Unless Toyota makes a hybrid similar to the Camry, then I'll get that instead(I don't care for the Prius). That is everything that I can think of regarding my car. I have a feeling I might have given a bit more info then you wanted, but oh well.

Titles: Harmonian Tenki Star, Harmonian Jousting Champion
Daniel Blackhand

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Right now I have a couple of old vans that I need to do a little bit o f tuning on such as oil changes and changing the spark plugs, but they are both good vehicles. One of them seats quite a bit of people which is nice if a bunch of friends want to go somewhere we just take 1 rig.

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I drive a white with red interior 88 Chevy Corsica, which is my first car. I've put enough money into fixing the dumb thing that I could've just bought another car (transmission, 2-3 fuel pumps, etc). The previous owner didn't take that good care of it. I only drive it when I have to and for travelling between home and college. My friend put in a cd player for me (since I didn't have one) and I have a small styrofoam box as an armrest (which was my idea). Eventually, I will get rid of it since it tends to break down at least once/year but I have more pressing matters with my money (or lack thereof).

Blue Moon

19500 Potch
0 Soldiers
666 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

2000 Mustang GT. Chick magnet. If they're not hot when they go for a ride, they can't get that way ever. Has well over three hundred horsepower at the rear wheels (this means after friction.. and not the horsepower rating your Toyota dealer tells you, which is MUCH lower) and I've rolled it twice.

Some more detailed information of upgrades:

-18 inch polished rims with low profile Nitto drag radials
-4.10 rear end gear
-Mack exhaust with catalytic converters left in so it doesn't sound like every other mustang (including catback, x-pipe, and long tube headers)
-Cervinis stalker front fascia, hood, and side skirts
-Saleen side scoops
-K&N FIPK kit (conical filter, oversized plenum)
-Steeda short throw Tri-ax shifter
-Vortec intercooled supercharger
-Dished top forged pistons
-Ford Racing Camshaft
-Ford Racing Heads
-Underdrive Pulley set

I can only assume that I don't have everything on there, not only because I'm not used to listing stuff, but also because I'm rushing my little list here. I haven't added the total cost of the junk I've purchased, but I'm pretty sure it rivals the sticker price that was on the car when I bought it.

My car is running smoothly because I've babied her since she was a day old. Ordered her the way I wanted from the factory and took delivery with less than a mile on it. HAHA.. wooo! She get's an oil change every three thousand miles and she hasn't showed a single sign of slowing down.

BTW... I've heard and always believed that it is bad luck not to name your car. Has anyone else ever heard this? If you have throw in that stupid name you gave your car. My car has a name and I've rolled it twice so that doesn't say much for that theory. Her name is Maggie.

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is a great topic, especially becase I've worked for a number of car manufacturers as an engineer, such as Isuzu, Toyota, General Motors, and Honda.

I currently drive a 2002 Pontiac Firebird, which was the last model year for the production of Firebirds. GM has been scaling back their production, and decded to change their strategy with Pontiac (they decided to make uglier cars like the Aztec), which is too bad. One good thing, is that vehicle quality tends to be at it's best once the same model has been in production for a few years. You don't wanna buy new models, because they are almost guaranteed to have a problem or two.

Why I bought this car is because it has been my dream since I was 3 years old to have a firebird, and because it was the last model year. I also wanted to get the car brand new so I can take care of it from the start. The car has not had any problems at all, and it's relatively light chassis gives me pretty good fuel mileage for a V6.

Next car I buy would probably be a Honda though, because I work for them (sorta).
Sai Fujiwara

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

AHH! SARSadmin didn't get the V8?! AHHH!

*jumps off a bridge*

I'd own a Camaro, if I could. Well, maybe a 'Vette, or possibly a Ford GT. Just 'cause it's the best American car you can get your hands on.

As you might guess, SARSadmin, I respect power, and power in a car above all else. (Looks being a close second...) I definitely respect owning a Firebird, though. That's a totally sweet car.

Needless to say, my butt isn't riding in style in a Corvette or a Ford GT. A Mustang MIGHT be affordable to me, if I leased it, but I currently and paying off the car that I'm driving, right now.

And isn't that what this topic is about, anyway? lol So, that's right. I'm driving a 2004 Oldsmobile Alero. Final production year of Olds, and one of the last Aleros out there. This car is a lot more powerful, accelerates faster, and looks a lot more cool than my previous car. That one was a 2002 Saturn L200. Anyway, the car I got now has a V6 engine, and roughly 170 horsepower. I wish it was more powerful, but that's life. :( An Alero is a pretty sleek-looking ride, so I can't complain too much about it. The only thing I can complain about is the fact that the engine likes to stall as soon as I shift it into Drive... It's an '04 and it's doing that? I dunno, thought I might throw that one out there for our resident vehicle engineer... *cough*SARSadmin*cough*

Anyway, it's under warranty, so there's a good shot of me maybe getting that fixed. It's still disturbing for an 04 model to be acting up already. Makes me think about my purchase... :|

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ced wrote:
Let's face it, we all have to get around somehow.

I tend to walk. I don't have a car.
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Cars, trucks, etc. and the People who Drive Them Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ced The Lad wrote:
Let's face it, we all have to get around.

I ride a bike, roller blade, and walk. I have an awesome bike that can be street or dirt. I also run. Running is pretty fast. If I wanted a car, I would want a Subaru WRX.
Jurhael

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I drive a teal colored Toyota Tercel. YAY!
Crono

Something Wicked

162570 Potch
200 Soldiers
40 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

'89 Honda Civic DX, hatchback edition. Needless to say, it's a complete crap car, but I got if for free from my grandfather so I don't complain about it too much. It still runs pretty well, the only problems I've had with it is the battery connection - sometimes it has a little problem starting up. Also I really need to put a cd player and better speakers in it, because all it has right now is a working radio. The color is a type of metallic blue, and the car even comes with a tiny spoiler on the back! Everyone says I should put huge tires and rims on the beast, but that would just be a little ridiculous. :lol:

Oh yea, and its name is "Bullethole Blue," because when I first got it the side panel next to the hood was torn out, and the holes that were showing resembled bullet holes.
We have an urge to kill
And our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
We'll fight 'till the end, and send our enemies straight to hell!"
Drakken

The Crimson Sword

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am a CAR guy. I have been under the hood of cars since I could hold a wrench. It is a passion and has always been a thing I could do to calm myself when the world is just too crazy.

I usually buy old bodies from junk yards and I do it all from bottom to top, everything from welding/repairing frames to the paint and interior, even some fabricating. I'm a full time student (ME) but it is a good way to cover tuition and it has kept a roof over my head since about 16; put in maybe $2000 capital and it can return five or six times that. I once did a 'Cuda, cost me about $1700 to finish and it sold for $9800.

OK I'm really off the subject at hand, but when it comes to cars I find it hard to keep quiet.

But my car I have that I love to drive the most is my '69 Chevy with an Olds 350 rocket, I have had this car since I was 15. I have totaled it twice and rebuild it better each time.

Due to high gas and the fact that everytime I start that car I get a ticket; I have two more of everyday cars, my mule is a 90 T-bird, a very reliable and low maintainence car, and I have my fuel saver, a 97 Sunfire that I bought for $300 my senior year of high school, did some work to the exhaust system and haven't really put another dime in it besides tires and fluids.

SARsadmin, I am actually working on a 77 Trans Am right now. I've already got a buyer who says he'll buy it asap as long as I go "bandit" with it :lol:

My all time dream car though is a new 'vette. I have always associated it with success and style.
And when your deepest thoughts are broken,
Keep on dreaming boy, cause when you stop dreamin? it?s time to die.
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yikes, a lot of you are very passionate, aren't you? But that's always a good thing. I hear a lot of people complaining how "Cars depreciate in value the longer you have it" and blah blah. I know some wealthy people who trade in cars just to look nice. It's nice to see people who stick with a classic and ride it out as long as possible.

Oob, I gotta ask how much you spent on your Mutang. Having it all tricked out must've cost a pretty penny.

And SARS, I remember a while back that you worked for General Motors. You were satisfied with the merger with your old company I believe, though I can't recall much of what you said back then.

As for me, I drive a 2005 Honda LX Accord Sedan. Nothing fancy, just the stock body, wheels, and accessories. Since it is new, I take good care of it just like Oob does. It gets an oil change every month, and I never let it get low on fuel (where it activates the warning light).

But my first car was a 2003 LX Civic. Sadly, my brother totaled it when I was on vactation. He was ok and all, but the car was beyond repair. I did trade up with my Accord though, and it actually cost less than what I was paying for the Civic, but that Civic was my first car. And many would know the significance there.

Shikigami

203358 Potch
110 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1990 Blue Jeep Cherokee

It runs for crap, but it was relatively cheap, and it's served me pretty well. I <3 My car.
Njord

Island Nationeers

218645 Potch
1478 Soldiers
300 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I got my license few months ago (who hoo), but I still have to get my own car; It'll probably be in the end of this summer.

In the start, I used to use the car of the house but since I'm a clumsy driver and the car was kinda new, I had to leave it (Everyone said it wasn't a good idea after they saw how I drive ^.^).

And now, I'm driving my brother's old car, it's a green Camry (I don't know what year, but it is old).

When I first took it, the car was old in a semi great shape with no bumps and bruises, with everything attached to it, and now it is old with all kind of injuries, a broken left or maybe right bulb, and a missing right mirror.

This car was more of a training car than a real one, I had fun learning how to drive in it, there were bad times with minor accidents and events, and there were good times with crazy stunts and situations, I think I'm now attached to it in a certain extent, but I don't intend on driving it for ever.

I got used to it a lot, and I can't seem to drive another car in the same way (when I drive another car everything moves really fast, I don't have to spin the wheel much to make it change direction, the training car is like a truck), but I know I'll get used to my new car as well.

Yesterday, my brother took the car and fixed it, I'm glad but he shouldn't have bothered, I'm sure I'll add some new slashes the next time I take it on the road ^_^.

Anyway, as for what car I want, I don't know, I don't like sport cars, and no big ones, nothing expensive, just something fancy that I can feel comfortable driving.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: