Suikoden Utopian and Irenic Knowledge Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

A New Nation System
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Stark

War Machine

536068 Potch
250 Soldiers
1600 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: A New Nation System Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Before the inevitable close of the Nation System. Vextor posted a thread, "How can this site survive?" talking about how a new Suikoden game has not been announced and there is not much evidence to suggest one will be anytime soon. With Vextor's illness and a lack of renewed interest in the site it was inevitable to happen sooner or later.

But, in that thread fuji had an idea:

Blasphemy wrote:
I'm not going to be very popular with this... but I'd shut this entire site down and wipe out everything, including our beloved stats. Fresh start on a new system, phpbb3 without anything with Suikoden and their nations and a more generic feeling with it's own history. We have a number of very talented writers... get them to create a back-story with fictional "nations" or "factions". I would re-jigg the system to make the person (or member) have a greater effect on the nation system then they do now with more choices.

I would then make the main site more dynamic and focus more on the community, less on the information. Blogging, comments on articles, editorials, news, etc all with a focus on RPGs. I would focus less on static content, more on dynamic interaction or community building tools.

iscalio has done something like this within the site, and anyone in Tinto will tell you it was a lot of fun. There were still Suikoden elements to it, but he could have cut them out if he had wanted to. This makes me sure that something like this -- a new community and a new nation system -- is entirely possible.

Of course, we'd lose a lot of members along the way, and we'd need some of our heaviest hitters to still contribute. We'd need someone who could code, and someone to pay for the web space (which isn't that expensive really). I think we could create a much more cohesive system if we put our heads together. We would have less members and, inevitably less nations, but we have all the ideas from this site to go on. And that's a lot.

I would be willing to pay for the web-space, but I don't have Vextor's winning personality or the coding knowledge to make the site go-round, so I don't think I'd be a very good candidate to help start this madness.

Is anyone else in? Does anyone else think we can do it?

Solemn Sound

330634 Potch
100 Soldiers
48 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A very interesting idea and I would be interested in helping out with the writing/creation of things for it. Although I have no coding experience so i would not be any help in that department as well as I wouldnt be able to help financially as I need the money right now.

Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd be willing to participate in this if it happened (as a member of the site at least, I don't know coding).

A couple of things though:

I think it'd be a better idea to let the members of the nations/factions create their own back story and all that though, I'm not sure about the other nations here at suikox but for me, giving TNL it's identity was half the fun.

The background needs to be black, or at least dark. :P
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Agreed. Black layout.

I'm all in buddy. All in!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If we wipe the slate (as it were) and then start the stats and war-system anew, will the existing nations continue? I don't particularly want to leave Highland, and even if the nations were renamed/recreated there's a decent chance that people would go back to the same factions/nations.

Not saying its impossible of course.

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I believe that this idea should be moved to a totally new website. We leave Suikox as it is. Might as well have a whole new website to start with totally clean slate. edit: Oops, I didn't read Brecht's post clearly enough. He agrees that it should be a new domain, indeed.

This way we can continue with the communities we have here while being able to start a totally new wargame, ala Tinto's Faction game, on a new domain. I think that, like the faction game, statistics should not be based on posting style. That makes the game unbalanced, in my opinion. Stat improvements would be awarded for success in battle, among other things, like they currently are in the Tinto Faction game.

edit: I've actually been talking with iscalio about this idea for some time (like... an hour). I'm not sure if iscalio's domain has enough space to hold the entire forum that we'd need. We could pull together money, though.

Last edited by Gil-galad on Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:03 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Flare

Flying Bolts of Doom

680830 Potch
3700 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with Gil. If we start anew, it should be somewhere else. It'd be such a waste to simply delete everything here.
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Falcon Critical wrote:
If we wipe the slate (as it were) and then start the stats and war-system anew, will the existing nations continue? I don't particularly want to leave Highland, and even if the nations were renamed/recreated there's a decent chance that people would go back to the same factions/nations.

Not saying its impossible of course.

Many people in their current nation are friends and enjoy discussing strategy with them, I agree with Falcon that if possible we should have the option to have suikox nation members together in the same faction.
Arevus

The Reborn

314452 Potch
100 Soldiers
44 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I support this decision.

Sup?
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've got a project in development (it's actually been percolating for many months now) which is quite similar to Mr. Fuji's initial idea. There are a small number of factions involved but, due to the source material, there is plenty of backstory to expand upon. The way we're setting it up is that involvement in the game is strictly optional thus new members aren't thrust into either of the factions when they register, giving them a choice and the factions the opportunity to recruit members on an open playing field.

Intelligence gathering will play a vital role with this particular game.

Oh yeah, black backgrounds rule, so that's what I've always gone with.

Want more info? Give me a shout.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eh i'd support it, but as it stands there's nothing to say that we won't end up with the same situation that we have currently in severely polarised nations stagnating the sides until it becomes a chore. As Falcon stated, and I'm hinting, really what would stop a nation now like Tinto doing exactly what happened now and you end up with big 3 + newbie nations (meaning fresh nations) v everyone else and back and forth. I'd think a redesign of the system itself would be in order then.

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Flare wrote:
I agree with Gil. If we start anew, it should be somewhere else. It'd be such a waste to simply delete everything here.

Or we could send the current war stuff to a repository and just have some new forums. =P I spent a long time working up my post count and everything here. I'd like to keep it...
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

eXistence of Fly wrote:
Eh i'd support it, but as it stands there's nothing to say that we won't end up with the same situation that we have currently in severely polarised nations stagnating the sides until it becomes a chore. As Falcon stated, and I'm hinting, really what would stop a nation now like Tinto doing exactly what happened now and you end up with big 3 + newbie nations (meaning fresh nations) v everyone else and back and forth. I'd think a redesign of the system itself would be in order then.

This is the whole reason that instead of stats being based on posting, they would be based on achievement in the wargame itself. This should lead to a much fairer distribution of strength between the nations.

There would be fewer nations, so it's not like the new forum would end up exactly the same as what we have now members wise.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've also been working on a project similar to this, for a half a year or so, but graphical instead of just texted, but I've been looking for a way to plug it into a phpbb format.

Really, I can't see why not why we can't come up with something completely different, but very similar at the same time as to what we had here in Suikox.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

if you focus to much on 'community' and 'people in the fandom' its going to die and cause problems if we foucs on the people more that the game and its creators, we'll stop talking about partnerships of characters in games and start making "contradulations swordstar4 and Hairnomooie on becoming boyfriend and girlfriend hurrah for love"

why not convert back to the house system of suikox's previous green colored incarnation, or the suggestion I had "do like what adventchildren.net' does on the forum with clubs (not the buying plushies for our lookups and such) they had intersting commuinty things. if you want to be more community you can see what they do, I assume they are sucessfull enough for that.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: