Suikoden Uncouth and Informational Keystone Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Should the Nations Be Dissolved?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the nations be dissolved?
yes
11%
 11%  [ 11 ]
no
88%
 88%  [ 81 ]
Total Votes : 92

Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm more for the idea to making all nation forums public really at least to start with. This lets us all get familiar with each other where we normally wouldn't be. Then after that, if it works out. Instead of nation forums, we could try and make suikox into one big nation. Like instead of having 9 different Colloseum's once we're all familar with each other, we could have colaberate into one!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You know, its interesting. Whenever I think about the site (and I still do), I often ponder this very question...and my answer always comes up as No...but there are certain things that could be done with the system that I would do if I ran the site. Consider that I know how much work is put into this site and I know how hard it is to keep people happy and how hard a job the site owner has; this is just a 'What I would do if...' list.

1) Less Nations - It always comes back to this one. I'm not trying to slight anyone here, but is there really a need for 47 separate nations? Okay, perhaps if this site had a huge number of members (currently: 2266) then it might make more sense, but at the current size of the site (2266 includes outstanding members and members with 0 posts), having so many nations just waters down an already relatively shallow talent pool. Some nations have been around longer than others; not only do they benefit from an already established culture in terms of activity, but they also benefit from older, established members who (thanks to the war system and user stats) even if they decline into activity will always be more powerful than new members in the important war system. Sure, every new nation usually gets a few high-profile emigrants, but not nearly enough to compensate for national seniority. In addition to being disadvantaged in forming a culture and generating activity, these nations can't hope to compete in the site's war system.

There are currently 14 nations. If there were only 10, things might be more equal. Of course I can understand the need to add nations as they appear in the series. Also, when a new nation came into existence, I'd implement some sort of a system whereby every existing nation has to let 1-2 of their members go into helping form it, again just to even things out a bit.

I've actually worked it out; every time a nation is formed, suppose 2 members have to leave from every nation. It's done in a lottery, but you'd have people that can't leave (Nation Leaders and co-leaders, Strategists, Moderators, NPCs etc.,) and then each nation would assign 6 members 'untouchable' (ineligible)...everyone else who doesn't fit that criteria would be fair game.

2) Scale back the War System - I had actually heard a while ago that there were being things implemented that would make having a peaceful nation a more attractive option than it is right now. The War System is awesome, don't get me wrong; it fosters a sort of 'friendly rivalry' between members that's perfectly healthy when its not taken too far (I'm not a mod anymore but even when I was, that sort of thing didn't happen too often anyways), but since the site is going for a replication of the world of Suikoden, peace should be more of a goal. If you look at the games and the timeline, there isn't always a war going on in the world.

It's also a tiny pain in the ass when you have to deal with constant battles and roster formation and your members who will inevitably disagree with you at some point. We could all live with a little less of that.

3) Increasing National Co-Operation - With the second option comes more of a chance to increase fellowship between nations. There's already a bevy of things available that present this; Alliances, Ambassadors, and the new Practice Battles serve this function, but I still feel there could be more. Perhaps weekly passes to any nation of your choosing to see how they run things? Something like this would increase activity I believe

So a few things I would do if I ran the site. All of it mostly to make things more slightly more fair (while leaving plenty up to people's skills and chance) and with a bit less emphasis on fighting and more on brotherhood that might take a bit of the edge off. However...I can't imagine this site if it didn't have the war system. It'd be just another message board, instead of something fresh with some intrigue to it. I would personally change a few small things as I mentioned, but I'd never dissolve the nations; I wouldn't care if Vextor and the admins didn't change a thing.

EDIT: How retarded of me...I wanted to post in here at home this morning but didn't have the time. I never check the Community board but I just did. I'll be returning to a nation shortly, but I haven't been posting much lately and don't really plan to. This isn't because of the whole War Game being dissolved, I just miss some things about it.

I really hope Vextor is going to be okay, and if this helps his health, then I'm all for it. He's a cool guy who created something that made the world a better place for many people.

Last edited by Vincent Chase on Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So, what? Powerful members of every nation would be marked as inelligble and new nations would be formed from the dreks of existing nations. Even with aggressive recruitment and a year to prepare, Gaien ended up with only four members over level 50 and one of those was an NPC.

EDIT:That said, most of the ideas were sound. I'm sure most were suggested at some point but bounced back as too much work for the admins.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
HarmonianHiccup

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

To answer the original question posed by the thread--all I can say is that if I had to say good-bye to the Grasslands as well, I think it would break my heart.

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Jossef

Beshennye Berserki

95809 Potch
200 Soldiers
23 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I see no reason for anything to change, so I voted no. The public forums are still available to everyone and I imagine they will be seeing more activity as time passes by anyway.

Flying Bolts of Doom

680830 Potch
3700 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If I had wanted something to be seen by everyone, I would post it in the community forum, not my nation forum. With that reasoning, I wish the nations to remain private and I think everything in the respective nations was meant for those nation members only and should remain that way.
Camillus

6th Temple Guard Regiment "The Relentless"

68334 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I completely agree with Flare who posted my thoughts better than I would have. :)

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I will probably lose interest when the war game goes and not visit the site. With as much time as I have to allot to use the site and the growing constraints of being in college, the only thing that keeps me coming back really is the war game. I find it all in good fun and entertaining and with out it, I wouldn't have been drawn in to meet all the cool people here.

I just can't foresee myself staying here if the war game is gone. It's so much fun!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Arevus

The Reborn

314452 Potch
100 Soldiers
44 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I accidentally voted yes. But I meant no. Also, Jowston doesn't post much anyway, so adding us to a nation would be pretty much be like multiplying a nation by zero: you wouldn't get anything.

I like nations though.

Sup?
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm still waiting for someone other than Milan in Zexen to go "omg Fly is so awesome!" but alas, looks like Milan just rocks more than any of them. :P

I'd vote to keep the nations private, assuming I get back into a usergroup, otherwise public it because I'm bored. :D

The Fudozukushi Minion Army!

1081375 Potch
250 Soldiers
143 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There is such shame in Jowston's forums that you do not want to read. So keep nations.
Harmony

Hugging Hippies

82515 Potch
0 Soldiers
93935 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would like to see the Nation System stay. For new members who are new, it's a nice friendly close-community system to ease in new members and make them feel welcomed and less over-whelmed.

I also like the idea of visiting other nations. Maybe the visitors could only have access to forums like taverns in that nation, to maintain some privacy?

Username wrote:
Kooluk has plenty of members (like seven or eight) you just don't see them post much of anywhere else.

I think I fall under that category? ^^;;;

Keepers of Balance

841792 Potch
0 Soldiers
760 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I vote to not dissolve the nations. We all have our own culture now because of this system. And each nation will have their own quirks and ways. Besides, it's similar to reality~ Countries keep things varied. Having just one country takes all the fun away. :)

Nimble Jack

Guard of the Old Way

319192 Potch
250 Soldiers
125 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If nations are dissolved I will have no reason to stay here. I came for the war game and now that it's over I will most likely leave too. One thing that could keep me here is a game I made up for Jowston. I bought the subforum for it a few days ago, and if that was put up then I would be tempted to stay in order to run it, but that may be the only reason I would have to stay.
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Falcon Critical wrote:
FYI - most of the active members of Highland have stated they'll be leaving the forum with the loss of the wargame, we may not be such a popular tourist destination anymore :(

Im sorry to hear that. It's sad that this unfortunate turn of events due to Vextor's illness has come about. However we all knew some time down the road at one point or another the war games would come to an end, and we would come to this anyway. I find it reather depressing really to find out so many people are willing to leave this forum just because one small factor of the forum is no longer going to be used. I would have thought that the general community we have built here would be enough to keep people around and happy.

I know Suikoden 6 is still some time away, and we really dont know whats even happening with that or if there will be one. But come on people, this forum is more than just a war game, and it entails more than just talking about a game series too. I hope the vast majority of us stick it out and just chat about whatever because thats what forums are for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Budehuc Castle All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: