Suikoden United and Infamous Kriegspiel Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

2008 NFL Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I actually understand your reasoning but one thing that some fans in Dallas may not have factored in their defense of Felix Jones as a pick to complement Barber is the fact that Barber may not be a Cowboy in a year or two. He's been asking for a new contract where he's to be paid 8 million a year. Barber's got talent and one of the best running backs in the past four years but I expect a running back wanting an 8mill per year contract to be able to rush the ball as a starter.

Looking at last year's performance down the stretch once Barber became the featured back his numbers wasn't as strong as they were in the beginning of the year when Julius Jones was still getting half the rushes in the game. This tells me that Barber's stamina may not hold up for a full season + playoffs if he's the main back. From what I've been reading the Cowboys and Barber are at least 30 million dollars or more apart in the numbers for an extension. Barber and his agent have to know that he would get more in the free agent market if the Cowboys aren't willing to accede to his contractual demands.

If Barber does decide to test the free agent market then the Cowboys are left with Felix Jones, who as talented as he may be, is still considered by most as a complementary back instead of a featured one. Mendenhall would've been a good insurance policy in case Barber does bolt for bigger money. Also, Mendenhall may be similar to Barber in that they're both power runners but he also showed some very good pass-catching skills while at Illinois.

While Felix Jones was good value at where he was picked then Mendenhall would've been a steal and I think that's what the Steelers must been thinking when he fell to their lap a few picks later. If someone had to choose between Barber/Jones and Parker/Mendenhall as their combo backs going into a season I think most would pick the latter.

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Don't forget that Dallas also drafted Choice this year at the runningback position, who is more of the traditional back that Felix Jones isn't. Choice is widely considered to be a sleeper player at the runningback position, but it'd be tough to know how such a pick would pan out. As for Barber himself, from reports I've read, the Cowboys offered Barber a $30 million deal, and Barber wants a $40-60 million dollar deal. I'd expect a deal to get done, however, since Jerry Jones has a penchant for getting deals done in dramatic fashion (Tony Romo was given a monster contract towards the end of his contract year, Flozell Adams was resigned in the twilight hours the night before the free agency period kicked off), and their pick of Jones over Mendenhall indicated to me that they intend to sign Barber to a long term contract. Dallas has done a good job in recent years of keeping their core group of talent in tact, and I haven't heard any grumblings from the Barber camp indicating that a deal won't be worked out.

The most likely scenario at this point is that Jerry Jones and Marion Barber decide to go ahead through this season and take it from there, much like they did with the Tony Romo contract talks. Its certainly a risk on both sides--for the Cowboys, Barber could have a tremendous season and his price could go higher, or for Barber, he could have a mediocre season (due to injury or otherwise), causing his price to fall.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really liked what the Packers did on Day 1 this year.

Moving back to take WR Jordy Nelson certainly caught me by surprise, but I was actually pleased with the pick. In my last mock draft, I even had the Packers taking him at #56 overall. Was he the 3rd best WR in the draft? *shrug* Was Donnie Avery the #1 WR??? I think it's all pretty much subjective. Each team that took a WR took a guy who they thought fit their system the best. I'm certainly not unhappy with the selection.

Now, landing QB Brian Brohm at #56 was probably the biggest coup of the Draft. How does a guy go from being considered a top 5 pick in the pre-season to the 56th player chosen just 8 months later?? All I know is that the Packers are set at QB for the future. If Rodgers can't do the job in the next two seasons, the team knows they can get Brohm ready to replace him in 2010 when Rodgers' contract runs out. Brilliant pick.

CB Patrick Lee was also a very solid selection at #60. I wasn't a huge fan of his prior to the draft, but I'm not displeased with it. There are certain guys who I like better, but I never thought Lee was a late 2nd rounder. I expected him to be gone before the Packers had to make a pick in Round 2. So I'll take the value and hope he develops into something good.

Day 2, I didn't like as much. Too many project players and reaches, based on my own grades. Obviously Ted Thompson is a GM for a reason, so I'm certainly not going to bash a pick before I see the guy prove what he can do. But there wasn't a single player chosen from Round 3 onward who I felt could contribute this upcoming season. But I guess we'll see.

I gave the Packers a B- for this past April's draft, mostly for the selection of Brohm. Nelson was a solid choice too, but since we're stacked at WR I can't see him being higher than #4 on the depth chart through his rookie year.

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: