Suikoden Ugly and Inspirational Kriegspiel Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

2008 NFL Draft
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kai Ver' Xion

The Ebon Elite

356999 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: 2008 NFL Draft Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I know its a little early, but I'm curious as to how many people have been already thinking about the next NFL draft. I'm starting to draw out a few little mock drafts and I was wondering what other peoples predictions could be. Since it truly is early, list your top 5, top 10, or if you really want to look into it, list the top 32.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just a brief observation of the talent pool for this upcoming 2008 draft is that it's quite weak in comparison to last year and the years before. There's really not many players who seem to stand out as no-nonsense picks who can contribute right away for teams trying to get better through the draft.

The Ebon Elite

356999 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I definitely agree. This years draft is mediocre in comparison to last years. The only real position that seems to really stand out as impressive is runningback with a lot of junior talent declaring eligibility for the draft.
Kai Ver' Xion

The Ebon Elite

356999 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm...I guess since nobody else is putting up their picks, I'll drop my top 5.

1) Miami Dolphins ~ Glenn Dorsey, DT- He's the best defensive player in this draft and is being compared to Warren Sapp in his glory days. You honestly don't get much better than that. He literally dominated each O-line he faced this year. Miami would be retarded to pass him up. True they need a lot of work..but defenses win championships and Dorsey is the kind of player who can eliminate a teams run game entirely. *other possible selections~ Chris Long, DE/ Matt Ryan, QB/ Brian Brohm, QB

2) St. Luis Rams ~ Jake Long, OT- With out a doubt the best O-tackle in the draft. The man is a freak. You can quote me as saying he's going to be one of the most dominant O-lineman in the NFL for many years to come. He's an all around monster. Great run and pass blocking. Some would argue that the Rams need defensive players more than offensive..but their O-line is a bit shaky and prone to injury. For the Rams to get those offensive weapons going, they need a solid O-line. Long gives them that. *other possible selections~ Chris Long, De/Glenn Dorsey, DT (if he falls out of first)/ Dan Connor, OLB (yes I believe hes that good and better than Rivers. Penn St. breads LBs)

3) Atlanta Falcons (Yes I gave the Falcons the coin flip even though I'm a Raiders fan :P) ~ Matt Ryan- This was kind of a hard choice for me. I feel like the QB class this year is the weakest out of all the positions. One might say thats damn good reason to think I should give the Falcons pick to different position. Well..if you know football, QB is pretty much the most important position. Do the Falcons have one? HELL NO! They have two of the most pathetic QBs I feel have ever started in the NFL. Harrington and Leftwitch are 3rd stringers at best. The only way I could see the Falcons going for a position outside of QB with their first pick is if they pick up a quality QB in the off season. I think Ryan is a stretch as the best QB in the draft..but I'll trust what I've heard about him for now. *other possible selections~ Andre Woodson, QB/ Brain Brohm, QB/ Colt Brennan, QB (yes I'm a Brennan believer)

4) Oakland Raiders ~ Darren McFadden, RB- Don't judge me. He's the most talented and best athlete in the draft. He's a franchise runningback. Adrian Peterson'esk. Am I set on him? Only slightly. I feel we'd be better off drafting Dorsey or either Long if they fell to us. Justin Fargas really came out this year. He could have ran for well over his 1000 yards if he started the beginning of the season and didn't get injured at the end of the year. The guy runs with heart and I love it. Some people also don't know that we drafted Michael Bush last season in the 4th round. Michael Bush was rated one of, if not the best RB in college football coming into last year. The Louisville star only played for one half of a game that season and had 128 rushing yards and 3 TD's (he broke his tibia in that game and was out for the rest of the year the injury even effected his status on the Raiders roster when they drafted him He was on injury reserve all this year) . When he's healthy..who knows what he could be? Would McFadden be a bad addition? HELL NO! But do I see him as someone we need? No...Al Davis however will disagree with me. He loves those flashy players. The idea of Russell and McFadden is a cream dream for him. Unless McFadden is scooped up before the Raiders pick (which I can't see him being), the Raiders will draft him. *other possible picks~ Jake Long, OT/ Glenn Dorsey, DT (he wont fall past 3 but if some freak accident happens)/ Chris Long, DE (Davis could jump on Howie's boy. D Line is a Raider need)

5) Kansas City Chiefs ~ Brian Brohm- This is a real hard pick (especially because I hate the Chiefs). Their defense on paper seems pretty solid. They could maybe use some safety help..but not as much as QB. The have a solid looking offense with Larry Johnson and the up and comming Dwayne Bowe. Their O-line has been a bit shady since thier two future hall of famers retired, but I can still see them managing. What they really need is a franchise QB. I don't know if they'll find that in Brohm..but I can see them leaning towards the idea.
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hope the Pats can get James L. from OSU if he comes out, though the last time they got a white LB with a weird name from there (Andy the Kat) it was a major bust.
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Miami is talking with Jake Long. Probably a bigger need than their defence. Soprano has been hush hush on if he's going to run with the 3-4 or not and said he wanted to wait until camps to see what he actually has. Dorsey couldn't play nose and shifting DTs to DEs in a 3-4 has always been kind of iffy (like the Warren Sapp experiment).

Quote:
You can quote me as saying he's going to be one of the most dominant O-lineman in the NFL for many years to come. He's an all around monster. Great run and pass blocking.

Quoted. As a raiders fan I'd think you'd be a bit hesitent on these "can't miss tackles". Still, he will be 1st or 2nd overall, no doubt.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

jjrrs wrote:
Hope the Pats can get James L. from OSU if he comes out, though the last time they got a white LB with a weird name from there (Andy the Kat) it was a major bust.

Really, if Darth Belichik and Darth Pioli stick at 7th pick and actually use it on a linebacker (or any player for that matter) it will most likely be USC LB Keith Rivers if linebacker. That'll be a major policy change for Bill if he picks Rivers. Belichik likes his linebackers to be more seasoned even if not as talented as a young rookie. Plus, James Laurinaitis opted to stay at Ohio State for his senior year.

If the Pats don't trade down (something they probably would like to avoid since trading down means more picks) they will most likely pick a cornerback to replenish a gutted defensive backfield. Two names jump out as prime DB candidates. There's Leodis McKelvin from Troy and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie from Tennessee State who would fit Belichik's type of cornerbacks: aggressive tacklers who can play in either man or zone with equal consistency.

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The name I've heard most associated with Miami before the Jake Long story was Chris Long, which makes more sense than Glenn Dorsey in my opinion (If they were going 3-4). C. Long would have given them a good outside rush backer--but, truth be told, I think they should go after Jake Long over anybody else people have them picking, since its pretty difficult to find quality left tackles after round 1. There are plently of hybrid defensive end/linebacker types to be had in later rounds of most drafts, and as of right now they still have Jason Taylor. Its a need that can wait.

I'm a little annoyed that Brian Brohm has fallen so far. I know Kai up there has him going fifth, but most so called experts have him going significantly later, and I don't know why. I think he's better than Matt Ryan. So what if his team had a bad year. I just don't get this trend of highly thought of underclassmen quarterbacks falling down draftboards after staying in an extra year. It's still too early to judge the recent history of this trend, but I'd be remiss if I didn't say that I hope this backfires on NFL teams.

Code:

Riser            Faller          Story
----------------------------------------------
Matt Ryan        Brian Brohm     Matt Ryan blows chunks and kills puppies

Jamarcus Russel  Brady Quinn     Both played in limited garbage time, but Quinn was better, in my opinion.

Vince Young      Matt Leinart    Both have been mediocre, but at least Young hasn't had naughty pictures
                                 surface.

With Young/Leinart, we'll probably know in a year or two. The other ones will take a little bit longer.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Arevus

The Reborn

314452 Potch
100 Soldiers
44 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Anyone have any thoughts on Joe Flacco?

He is from my hometown and I know him, kinda excited for him.

Sup?
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There's talk that he'll go either low second round or somewhere in the third. I know that scouts like him as a QB who may end up being the so-called QB "find" in this year's draft.

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arevus wrote:
Anyone have any thoughts on Joe Flacco?

He is from my hometown and I know him, kinda excited for him.

Flacco was a reach in my opinion, for Baltimore. He's a good QB, don't get me wrong, but they took him far too early. But they took him when they knew they'd get him, so I suppose if the Ravens were happy with it, they got a good pick. He'll be starting at some point this season for the Ravens. Something a few other QBs in this draft won't be doing for a year or more (Brohm, Booty)

I think several teams did well. The Bills did great I felt. Getting that lock down CB they needed was a huge plus. Also, taking a WR to compliment Evans and Parrish will pay dividends, I'm sure. The rest of the picks all addressed some minor needs the Bills had. Xavier Omon could replace Fred Jackson as the #2 RB if he pans out. Although, Jackson did so well last year I doubt thats going to happen. I'm going to keep my eye on the bills special teams too. Parrish was already a damn good run back player, but now that we got Leodis McKelvin back there too, watch out! He's not quite Devin Hester, but he's pretty freaking sweet.

I see good things for a few teams, and bad things for others.

Good things for Baltimore. I do like the pick up of Flacco, even if its too early in the draft to take him. I also think Ray Rice is very underrated and alongside McGahee, they could have a tandem of RBs with the likes we've never seen before. The only issue is how fast Flacco can become their man.

Bad things for Tennessee. I'm sorry, but anyone with any sense knew what the Titans needed this year out of the draft. Wide Receivers and Corner Backs. What did they go get? Another running back, defensive end and a Tight End? Um... Last I checked LenDale White did more than prove himself as a competant back. Maybe if Vince young had some targets and some breathing room (and a little help on defense vis INTs) he could relieve pressure on White with some passing threats and White could really become a big name back. Nah, let's get another Running Back and a mediocre TE to replace Ben Troupe. OH WAIT, you already picked up Alge Crumpler... Shoot. Wasted draft. Nothing against Chris Johnson, he's a good player, just not what the Titans could use.

Good things for Pittsburgh. Wow. Talkabout being in the right place at the right time. Seeing Mendenhall drop that far musta given someone in the Steelers war room a brown spot in their trousers. Then as he freshly changed out of them, another brown bomb hits when Limas Sweed falls to them. Want to talk about deals of the century? Mendenhall could have easily been a 10-15th overall pick. I didn't see many people calling Limas Sweed dropping that far into the second, let alone out of the first round. Questionable why they took Dixon, a QB but it was in the 5th round. I heard he could actually be a Kordell Stewart type player who can convert from QB into a short threat receiver. If thats the case, good scouting.

Bad things for Atlanta. Nothing as a result of this draft. Not really. Matt Ryan is a great QB, and if he becomes a big name passer, then the Falcons have won big, but the idea of taking a QB 1st overall means to me that they're looking to change the face of the franchise. Turn a page on the Michael Vick era and display Ryan as the poster boy. Big risk. If he falters, you know its his head on the block. The Falcons could have taken a safer rout, took Glenn Dorsey and then picked up a lesser profile QB in the second round. Or if they still made a trade with Washington, they coulda gotten one late 1st round.

Any other thoughts?

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought my Chief's did very well in the draft. They addressed major needs, got the best defensive player in the draft, and set themselves up well. I don't think they'll be contending this year, but next year may be rather good.
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was only really watching two players in the draft this year: Chris Johnson and Colt Brennen.

I watched a couple of the Hawaii games and I thought Colt did a good job. He needs some time to develop but he's definitely an interesting quarterback. And his name kicks ass. It'll be interesting to see if he can break his archetype and bridge the gap from college to pro. I'll be watching the Redskins this year, definitely. New coach, new quarterback, gaps to fill in the roster and the emotional struggle of last year with Sean Taylor dying.

Chris Johnson played for my university, East Carolina University. Amazing speed on this guy and I've seen him make games. He's a Running Back which is one of the last things the Titans needed but I wouldn't be surprised to see Johnson make a cameo on Special Teams at punt/kick off return just because of his speed. He runs a 4.23, I mean, seriously. That's ridiculous. I hope to see him get some decent playtime this year but I doubt he'll carry the Titans. In fact, that's REALLY unlikely but ya never know. Stranger things have happened. Still, I wanna see how he stacks in proball.

Pretty bland draft. Lots of lines are getting bulked up, lots of offensive lines. I think the teams are scared of the offensive powerhouse teams of last season that came in and dominated like the Colts, Cowboys and (ptwoo) Patriots.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The draft itself was quite bland as Acheron pointed out. I think the change in wait time between picks wasn't the problem. I think this year the crop of players just wasn't exciting as in the past couple drafts. Many teams were drafting for need which sometimes made predicting picks quite easy.

One thing I saw as a huge surprise (and not) was Dallas picking Felix Jones over Rashard Mendenhall. Jerry Jones pretty much picked a back-up running back to be a back-up running back with his first pick. He passed over a running back many people saw as being a franchise back in a year or two. I see Mendenhall as being THE running back of this draft as soon as Oakland picked McFadden. I think a couple years from now Jerry Jones will regret picking Jones over Mendenhall.

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

One thing I saw as a huge surprise (and not) was Dallas picking Felix Jones over Rashard Mendenhall. Jerry Jones pretty much picked a back-up running back to be a back-up running back with his first pick. He passed over a running back many people saw as being a franchise back in a year or two. I see Mendenhall as being THE running back of this draft as soon as Oakland picked McFadden. I think a couple years from now Jerry Jones will regret picking Jones over Mendenhall.

As a Dallas fan I feel obligated to defend my team. >_>

Anyways, I actually applaud Jerry Jones' decision to take Felix Jones over Mendenhall. They already have a Mendenhall type back in Marion Barber, and they needed somebody with a different skill set than that. Also, "backup runningback" is such a subjective term nowadays. Barber was technically a backup RB all last year, but there isn't any question that he was the best and most productive runningback on the Cowboys--some might go so far to say that he was the heart and soul of the offense. Jerry Jones would never pick a backup player first if he had other legitimate needs elsewhere, and the fact is that he didn't really. This isn't a LT/Micheal Turner situation. In Dallas, Felix will be asked to contribute heavily to the offense, just like Julius Jones was supposed to do. Another consideration in the pick was the fact that if Mendenhall was drafted, he wouldn't have been asked to be the feature back--he'd share time with Barber, and it wasn't certain how he'd react to such a role after being prominently featured in college. Felix Jones on the other hand had already shown that he could be productive in a two back system and was very receptive of the idea.

Anyways, I like the Felix Jones pick because they not only got a player of significant value, they got one of good character and that would fit perfectly into the existing system. He's also someone who is very quick and has great top-end speed, and got tremendous production out of his relatively limited carries (another good thing, as runningbacks is a position where you want your players to have as much tread on the tires as possible, given their limited lifespan).

Plus, I'm just glad they didn't draft a WR in round 1. The two biggest positions of need (in my opinion) were RB and CB, and at Dallas' spots I thought they had a good shot at both Jones and Jenkins--much to my joy, they nabbed both, and without having to maneuver too much. Jones over Mendenhall is bound to be a controversial pick (especially if Mendenhall pans out), but as long as Jones produces within the Dallas offense, I'll support the pick even if Mendenhall turns out to be a franchise type back for Pittsburgh.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: