Suikoden Utopian and Irrational Kibbutz Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

What do we know of Nagarea

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shaolin_swordsman

47140 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: What do we know of Nagarea Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can't seem to find another topic concerning this anywhere.
I'm inclined to think that S6 will be set in Nagarea so it would be nice to gather some info about it.
Really I don't know much other than that it is a Theocracy bordering with Falena and that it has invaded Falena before but during S5 it's docile.
Of course it's presumed to be Eresh's homeland and as far as I know she is the only S5 SoD to hail from there.
I'm sure others have stuff to add.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nagarea invaded Falena because of the dragon horses. Apparently, they're bad and it was a holy mission to eradicate them. After a little fighting, there was a series of earthquakes that destroyed the over-mountain land routes between Nagarea and Falena. They can't get to each other or at least not easily enough to fight. Since then, they took up a sort of isolation policy and stuck to it ever since.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

We also know one of the former leaders of Nether Gate resides there, and that he was the only one who went out peacefully when Arshtat disbanded them. I can't recall his name though.

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

We also know that the some of the remnants of the Nethergate leaders fled to Nagarea after Arshtat and Ferid broke up the organisation when she ascended to the throne. Other that what has be said not much else is known.

[edit] Yvl beat me to it... damn you :P

*Cues JBL to come in a write several paragraphs on why i'm wrong at what i missed out* :D
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:
We also know one of the former leaders of Nether Gate resides there, and that he was the only one who went out peacefully when Arshtat disbanded them. I can't recall his name though.

Actually, two of them were rumoured to have escaped to Nagarea. "Kayanu", the head of the assassin training division, and "Takefute", the head of the assassin division and overall supreme commander of Nether Gate. So unless we've seen either of these two in Suikoden V under different aliases, the most dangerous members of Nether Gate are still out there.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Odd, aren't there two spots for ninjas or assassins in the stars of destiny?

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, typically the Chikou and Chikyou Stars are filled by either ninja or assassins (which I must stress are not the same thing despite having similar functions.) The only exception is in the original Suikoden where the Chikyou Star is taken by Moose (and not Kage, who you would expect, given that Fuma is the Chikou Star in that game, Kage is the Teni Star instead).

Of course, other ninja and assassins exist and have taken different spots in the Stars of Destiny. The Chikyu Star for Kasumi, the Chisoku Star for Kate are other ninja with odd spots. And if I started on assassins, I would be here a while.

Could Kayanu and Takefute be the Chikou and Chikyou Stars in the next Suikoden game taking place in Nagarea maybe possibly? I dunno. If they're as mean as old boys Childerich and Dolph and it would appear they are, then I doubt it. Unless we're going to roll out the hopes that the new Suikoden will be darker and grittier and you'll command vast armies of blood thirsty monsters to feast on the organs of peasant girls in pacifist nations you destroy for a vague greater good while a thousand teenage fanboys hump their pillows.

Hmm, what was I talking about again.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Either way, it was meant as a rhetorical question, so yeah... >.>

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sorry I want to take this moment to ask this:

Why do Ninjas in Suikoden games never actually use Katanas? They always use either Shurikens( Kage, Fuma, that girl from S2 and the two from S3 and Kate) or Claws( the two from S4 and that girl from SV and Raven) I think the guy from SV is the only one who used a fifferent weapon for the first time. (Sorry can't just think of all the names)
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Because katanas in Suikoden games are generally in the domain of accomplished sword users, nominally from the nation of Katana such as Genshu and Hazuki rather than the sensationally mythical super stealth ninjas as shown in the Suikoden world.

Katanas in the Suikoden world are quite rare, and what is more usually only handled by the supremely skilled. Also, despite their similar Japanese origins, in the Suikoden world, katanas, samurai and ninja do not appear to share a common heritage and it would be folly to lump everything 'Japanese' in the series and assume they should be connected. Just as it would be with the German, Norse, Egyptian and many other references and inspirations.

Of course, Nether Gate assassins are not ninja. And I'd be wary to include Raven too so I would not try and apply it to everyone.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Sialeeds

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just always think it's tupid to give Watari a cool Katana, which he actually do not use. He just hold's that damn thing in his hands.
shaolin_swordsman

47140 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The traditional Ninja weapon is the Ninja-to. Both Watari and Shigure use these. Of course real life ninjas used whatever they could get their hands on and if they could take an enemies katana they would.
I've always felt the short range ninja weapon of choice in suikoden was the claw (Kasumi, Mondo, Ayame, Mizuki, Raven), plenty characters use a one handed sword anway. I'll agree though that Watari really should have used his sword as his primary weapon, there are plenty topics on that already though.
I completed SV again last night and of the SoDs - Nakula, Oboro and Alhazred depart fo Nagarea. Oboro's ending is particularly awesome in that he goes to 'settle things once and for all' or something to that effect presumabley with the remaining fragments of Nether Gate.
As an interesting side note and one I hadn't noticed before, Eresh's ending mentions that she would never see/set foot in HER temple again. This could of course mean a number of things depending on how you want to interpret it.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Layfield wrote:
Because katanas in Suikoden games are generally in the domain of accomplished sword users, nominally from the nation of Katana such as Genshu and Hazuki rather than the sensationally mythical super stealth ninjas as shown in the Suikoden world.

Besides, in pop culture ninjas tend to have Ninjatō (straighter and shorter versions of the Katana), where as they might not have used this so much in historical interpretations. I think we already had a pretty big conversation about ninjas in Suikoden (something about me John and Vextor babbling about Katanas - http://www.suikox.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23267, so keep any further talk of ninja there).

I think these other characters will appear in a later game as villains.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: